Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #778
Hello, we bought a 2013 Thor Windsport 32A back in June 2013. We were told to really nit pick it before we left the dealer which we did. We had two pages of issues and that was without driving it. We were still happy with the unit (I don,t understand why now). Anyway, when we took possession of the unit and drove it home, we realized there were problems with the slide. It was popping,cracking,snaping, and in general, making all kinds of noise going down the road. At home, it did not want to extend correctly so we retracted it, made an appointment with CW so they could start on some of the issues. We delivered the unit back to the dealer, (400 mile round trip). They kept the unit for several weeks and claimed the slide was fixed. We picked the unit up, same problem with the slide. Long story shorter, we did take it back, they tried another fix, we went on two long vacations and continued to put up with the slide issues. This can,t be normal. Before you buy, be sure you open and close all cabinet doors. Our thermostat in the bedroom is located so one closet door opens right in to it. All they had to do is re-rout it 6 inches to the right. There is no QC at Thor. So, my questions is, do all slides make so much noise going down the road?
Thanks for reading,
Deryld

Old 04-21-2014, 02:57 AM   #42

THOR #778
2013 Windsport slide

Yes, we have the same problem with our slide. We have brought it back to the dealer twice now and will be taking it in again for slide issues and lots of other problems.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:42 PM   #43

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: California
THOR #791
We have a 2014 32A. One corner of the slide does not quite seal all the way. Took it to the dealer for repairs. When told it was ready, we went to pick it up, guess what?, Same stinking issue! Nothing changed. They called the service guy over who attempted to re-time the system. No change. They then told me I should just leave it as it is as we would be opening a can of worms to try any further attempts at fixing it. We are somewhat lucky cause the lack of a good seal is not on the forward leading edge of the slide.
We have since discovered the dealer (McMahon's RV in Westminster Ca) is closed to to bank takeover and ripping off customers.
It is still under warranty and we are considering taking it to CW to have them take a look at it. I'm just a bit hesitant because of all the bad experiences with folks on these forums. Maybe we should leave it be as it operates just fine and is only a cosmetic thing. Then again I would like to have it looked at while under warranty if we're gonna do it.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #44

State: Maryland
THOR #359
By the WAY,,,OUR SLIDE OUT BROKE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2014, 12:28 AM   #45

Model: 2012 Daybreak 28PD
THOR #556
We have a 2012 Daybreak 28PD which we bought new. From the very beginning we had trouble with the kitchen slide not functioning properly. We also had a lot of squeaking originating from the slide. I had the motors replaced, but the problems persisted. When I complained to Thor that the new motors were struggling to make the slide move, they agreed to put in the high torque motors. Why they didn't do that the first time is beyond me. The new high torque motors were put in and the slide seems to works properly, but the squeaking has gotten much worse. I too, would really like to find a solution to this very annoying squeak.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:02 AM   #46

State: Maryland
THOR #359
We ended up suing Thor, they were adamant about not buying it back, they offered us 31k so we took it and traded the 28pd for a 33c Bounder. Completely different ride. I feel sorry for the people that buy it. Never a Thor again!!!
Old 06-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #47

THOR #778
Here is an up date on our 2013 Windsport 32A. We put it in the shop at CW for the third time. Thor had said they would send someone there to find and fix the problem with our slide. Well, there were several other issues as well which CW took care of. Our service advisor called us on a Friday and said it was ready for pickup. We then drove up there (appr. 200 miles one way) only to find they were not finished with it and eould need another day to complete. We drove back home and went back Wednesday and actually picked up the motor home. The slides worked good and no noise comeing home until my wife sat on the sofa. Then the slide started making the same kinds of noises I have been complaining about since we bought it. We do now know that sitting on the couch causes most of the slide noise (just don't know why).
I am seriously thinking about filing a claim through the Texas lemon law with TDmv.
I think three times is enough.
Deryl Davis
2013 Thor Windsport 32A
Old 06-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
Are you sitting on it while you are moving it or it is in? I don't know in MH but in tt you should not be on a slide unless it is all the way open.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #49

THOR #778
The slide is all the way in and we are going down the road. If no one is sitting on the couch then it is not so noisy but as soon as someone sits on it, the noise begins.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #50
Site Team

Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
On many slides, the way they are designed, there is a gap between the bottom of the slide and the floor. You might want to put a thin piece of 1/4 inch plywood there. This will support the slide and take up some of the slack. Might take care of your noise
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #51

THOR #778
thanks for the tip. Sounds like a good idea and worth a shot.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #52

Model: 2012 Daybreak 28PD
THOR #556
As stated earlier I have a 2012 Daybreak 28PD and have been plagued by an annoying squeak from my slide. I find it interesting that sitting on the couch increase the noise. I will try that and see what happens and report back. What I have noticed is that the floor of the slideout is sagging in the middle. Hopefully it won't sag to the point where it scrapes on the floor, but I don't think that has anything to do with the squeak. My slide is only supported on the bottom by two rollers near the sides. I think a third roller in the middle would be of great benefit and would have cost Thor next to nothing to install.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:36 PM   #53
Site Team

Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
When we picked up our Cruiser, the Gentleman who demo everything (PDI) told us to stay off of the slide, when in. He said if we stood on it unsupoported it would bend in the center. He than called in a Tech who showed me how to put the 1/4 board underneath the slide. We attached a handle to it with a rope on it, so we wpuld not forget to take it out when setting. Have we had any trouble out of that bib slide, does it make noise yes. Really a lot of noise when a Flat screen TV gets folded in two by it but that is another story
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #54

THOR #778
Well it does not make since to tell a customer not to set on the couch when the slide is in. If you have more than two people in the motor home, someone is going to set on the couch. They did not install seat belts to use when the slide is out and you are parked. Just saying,
Old 06-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #55

THOR #778
We put our coach back in the shop on the 12th of May again for slide problems. Thor was supposed to send a tech to repair it (again). We picked it up June 4th and drove it home. The noise is still there and I have now started the paper work to file through the Texas lemon laws governing motor homes. Will see what happens next.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:55 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
One thing to rule out, and I am not being presumptuous to think you are not doing things correctly, but your rig should be level before deploying the slide-out.

I only say this as every time we go into a RV park, we see plenty of rigs not leveled properly that have their slide outs extended. They are not all Schwintek slideouts of course, but perhaps the Schwintek units are more sensitive to leveling.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #57

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Colorado
THOR #396
I currently have a 2014 Hurricane 34E in a repair facility having a bedroom slide issue addressed. Have 1 more month of factory warranty remaining. I also have that same popping noise in the large slide, behind the driver's seat, as I drive down the road. Seems like the same issue as being described in the various posts on this thread. Has anyone received a resolution from Thor (or anyone else for that matter) as to a repair fix or what the problem is? Appreciate any and all responses. Thx.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #58

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Wow, i can't believe i missed this thread before. Thanks Rainbowillie for giving it a boost!

My big slide makes some popping noises when driving, but really only bad when the road is bumpy. Also a fiar bit of creaking in general form the coach. hard to say where it's coming form. One of these days I've gotta get DW behind the wheel so i can investigate.
Still, with mine, I was just figuring it to be somewhat expected to have noise from a big stick built box like this with half the side cut out of it..... the thing has to move and give a bit....(especially since Thor only uses one screw wherever there should be two)
I really wonder what what my expectation should be..... How much creeking and popping is excessive?
this is the only MH i've ever driven, so I'm at a disadvantage....
And ditto Rainbowillie's question..... ca anyone identify what the problem is typically, or what the fix is? I see the one post by someone saying some parts were missing.... wonder what parts so that others likel me can verify.....
The creaking I understand.... but what exactly in the system is making the pop noise?
Old 07-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #59

Model: Four Winds 26A
State: Florida
THOR #981
@ Wogden - thanks for that very informative video
Old 08-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #60

Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
I noticed that this thread started with a complaint about the loud cracking noise that was coming from the slide area. Our 2013 31F Thor Four Winds was doing the same thing and I solved the problem (at least for now) by spraying some Protectall Slide-out rubber seal treatment onto the slide rubber seals when they were retracted (I had already cleaned and polished the sides of the slide outs and cleaned and treated the rubber seals when extended from the outside). The problem noise vanished immediately. IMO it was caused by the dirty rubber seal scuffing on the metal and vinyl surfaces of the sides and top of the slides.
So, if you are having a problem with loud noises while you are driving down the road and the noises are coming from your slide areas, give them a squirt of slide out seal treatment. You might want to clean these seals first, or you can just go ahead and squirt the treatment and mop up later....