Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2019, 03:05 AM   #1
RWF

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 36MQ
State: Washington
THOR #15174
Thor 36MQ handeling

We have a couple thousand miles on our used (total 15K miles) 36 MQ now and road handeling isn't too bad, but I was wondering if there are mods that would improve it.
As a truck driver I was hoping it would be better.
Any wisdome would be appreciated.........

Old 11-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
I’m sure you’ll get lots of suggestions and there’s lots of posts on the subject. I’ll start it off. Front end alignment, steering dampener such as a Safe-T-Plus, and the “cheap handling fix” (CHF). These, at a minimum, will significantly improve handling on the road. There’s lots more that can be done limited only by your budget. [emoji2]
Old 11-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I think that Norrirn hit the nail on the head for you!
Glad to hear that you're not experiencing any serious issues with it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:10 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I doubt you'll find much 'extra' you can do on the diesel platforms, as they are not the same as the gas engine chassis the others have alluded to...

everyone has a different take and feel on what is 'o.k.' handling that they think should be happening when driving... I've always said that I don't weigh what the loaded semi's do, so there's no 'way' I'm going to not 'feel' something when/if they pass me by, especially at higher speeds.... it is what it is, but the wind itself also has a lot to do with it.
When the wind is already creating a need for you to slight keep the wheel 'into the wind', and a semi passes you, you can instantly feel either a 'pull' or a 'push' depending on the where the wind is coming from, and from which side the semi is passing. Much of what some drivers 'feel' is the effect of the differences between wind being suddenly blocked, as it is the semi itself.

For me, the most important aspect of a diesel coach being a 'smooth' ride is to be aware of the weight of each axle, and the PSI of each set of tires... most of the time a lower PSI is warranted, along with a smoother ride, to compensate for the weight. I've driven brand new coaches from the factories to dealers all over, and the PSI at the start might be 110 from the factory, when in reality it needs to be more like 85-90 after the coach is built, but the factories rarely concern themselves with anything other than what the tires came with from Freightliner, or the other chassis builders.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:21 AM   #5
RWF

Model: Tuscany 36MQ
State: Washington
THOR #15174
Well, I take back my question.
We just returned from a 3500 mile tour and I am very pleased with how the Freightliner chassis handled. What a wonderful machine. As long as all that electronic stuff keeps working.
Compared to the 97 Pace Arrow that it replaced, actually there is no comparison. I’ll leave it at that....