Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2015, 05:27 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: California
THOR #1455
2014 Windsport 27K handling/driveability

I know handling and deliverability have been talked about here many times. I have a couple questions.
1)Does anyone have a 2014 Windsport 27K and had issues with handling?
2) I asked my dealer about the CHF (cheap handling fix), front and rear sway bars. My dealer said anything to change this would void the warranty from Ford for the chassis. Any thoughts?

We have driven a trip of 400 miles and seemed to handle well. We used to pull a 27' trailer with a suburban and handled great.

Thanks for the help!

Keep on Camping!

Old 05-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
That right there is the problem! THE DEALER is ignorant! Changing the sway bar settings does NOT void the warranty, that is like saying changing the tire pressure will void it. I wouldn't be surprised if you told me it was a camping world dealer. :-/

Moving the sway bar will make a pretty noticeable change if you are sensitive to already realize the coach has handling issues. IT is quite common. Ford has no idea how a chassis will be used when they are making them so they set the sway bar to the softest setting. When you add a 10' tall box onto it it makes the chassis sway when the wind or passing vehicles go by. Often the front links need to be extended when moving to the inside hole on sway bar. Each chassis seems to be different for some reason. The rears are no problem nothing other than moving the location to second hole is needed. There is a huge thread on IRV2 about it, just search CHF and you may already have.

At some point if handling is still eratic then a rear track bar will probably be the fix and don't forget a steering stabilizer. So I would say do the CHF then the stabilizer then the track bar. I have done all and went a step further and added Sumo Springs to the front. Mine handles beautifully.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:46 PM   #3

Model: Mirimar 34.2
State: Florida
THOR #1799
Has anyone done the CHF on a 15' Mirimar 34.2? Do I need to buy adjustable links on the front, or will they move back ok?

I guess from there, a steering stabalizer may be next. Love the new Rig, but it does wander an aweful lot driving under normal conditions. if the wind kicks up in a storm, watch out.

Thanks all
Old 06-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
I've got a Hurricane 34E and it wanders ALOT. I made an appointment at my local Medium/Heavy Duty Ford Dealer (Rush Ford) in Denver for next week to take it in for a oil change, front end alignment and to tighten the bolts on the front shocks. From there I will see if I need to add the sway control system.

After that I am going to make an appointment to take it to a local Thor dealer (not CW if I can help it) for warranty work (stabilizer system leaks oil and does not work,
drivers side window rattles, a drawer does not close).
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #5

Model: windsport 27k
THOR #1140
Hi I have a 2015 windsport 27K I find that the handling is very good. So far I had a loose front left shock It was fixed by ford my ford dealer. I have had plenty of big rigs fly by me with no problems. When I had my 2015 Axis 25.1. I was blown all over the road. The fix for that was putting air tabs on the axis. Problem sloved
Old 06-15-2015, 06:51 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saran View Post
I've got a Hurricane 34E and it wanders ALOT.

I don't mean to hijack this thread. However, I too have a 34E, (2014) that wandered ALOT. But a simple "fix" and it tracks beautifully without any mods or adjustments, not even the CHF.

When I picked mine up I assumed the dealer had properly prepared the coach for delivery, including tire pressure. What I discovered after over 250 miles of driving was that they were severely underinflated. Those first 250 miles felt like a carnival ride, ( and about as bad as every U-Haul rental truck I have ever used).

After inflating all the tires to 95psi, (according to the sticker inside), it felt like a sports car in comparison to when I picked it up.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:18 PM   #7

Model: Mirimar 34.2
THOR #1799
I too checked the air pressure when I got the rig back home. Had read a couple of posts and they said on the 22.5 Michilins, to inflate to 90 psi. I wonder if that is considered under inflated?

Going to try the CHF as well, and adjust from there based on findings.

Thanks all
Old 06-15-2015, 09:24 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkworm2 View Post
I too checked the air pressure when I got the rig back home. Had read a couple of posts and they said on the 22.5 Michilins, to inflate to 90 psi. I wonder if that is considered under inflated?

Going to try the CHF as well, and adjust from there based on findings.

Thanks all
Have you had your coach weighted, after loading it, to determine what the correct tire pressure at each axle should be? If not, that should be the first step in any handling / drivability work.

Attached is the Michelin tire inflation document. I believe what you are looking for is on page 13.

RV Load and Michelin Inflation Charts.pdf
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:17 PM   #9

THOR #989
Our 2015 Windsport 27K was terrible to drive when received. We added a Roadmaster steering stabilizer, weighed it and adjusted the tire pressure (were over inflated by 25#), had the front end aligned and it is now a great driver
I am considering adding a rear track bar for added stability. has anyone added a commercially made one or constructed their own DIY bar?? The installations I have seen on line are all for models that bolt on the front of the differential. Our differential has a rear aluminum cover that I would be afraid to bolt a bracket to. I believe our differential is a "Dana'. Any suggestions or information is appreciated.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:54 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #1226
Our Hurricane 27K had 90# in all the tires. It would wander and was a little hard to drive. The coach plate called for 70# pressure. After lowering the pressure down to the required 70#, it drives great.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #11

THOR #989
I'm surprised your coach tag only requires 70#. Our 2015 Windsport 27K's tag requires 82#. Our coach is built on the 18K chassis and has Goodyear 245-70R-19.5 G670 tires. Fully loaded it weighs 16260# with us in it (5700 front - 10560 rear). The tire chart I have for our tires shows 80# as the lowest pressure. The weights for 80# would allow for about 7200# on the front axel and 13600# on the rear. Wanting to lower the pressure below 80# I called Goodyear to see if it was safe to do that. The person I talked to said going below the 80# would put too much pressure on the side walls of the tires and would probably make the tires wear unevenly. Does anyone else have any information on this subject????
Old 01-24-2016, 01:33 AM   #12

State: Alberta
THOR #3214
I have a 2014 Windsport 32N. I recently drove it from Alberta, Canada to Arizona. The only problems that I encountered with handling was when a semi would pass from behind. As the semi approached near the front of the coach, the wind would force me over to the right for a second or two. As long as I was aware the semi was passing, there wasn't a problem. Other than that it handled great over the 1800 mile, 4 day trip. 80 psi in all tires.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:51 PM   #13

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
I suppose it depends on the length of your MH, mine is a 34E so it is 35 ft.
long and the sticker next to the drivers seat states 90-95 psi front and 100-
110 psi rear.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
I'm surprised your coach tag only requires 70#. Our 2015 Windsport 27K's tag requires 82#. Our coach is built on the 18K chassis and has Goodyear 245-70R-19.5 G670 tires. Fully loaded it weighs 16260# with us in it (5700 front - 10560 rear). The tire chart I have for our tires shows 80# as the lowest pressure. The weights for 80# would allow for about 7200# on the front axel and 13600# on the rear. Wanting to lower the pressure below 80# I called Goodyear to see if it was safe to do that. The person I talked to said going below the 80# would put too much pressure on the side walls of the tires and would probably make the tires wear unevenly. Does anyone else have any information on this subject????
You are right, 82#. I don't know where I got that 70#.

Thanks

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:26 AM   #15

State: Ontario
THOR #2111
Smile Cheep handling fix all the way

I have a 29x Windsport and on picking it up from the dealer with no handling fix done was about to turn around and tell them to keep it.
After restling it home and I'm not kidding I did some looking and found the cheep handling fix.
Well after doing it myself which was not that tough to do found a complete and utter change in the handling. It's like driving a car now.
And as far as the dealer saying it will void the warranty that a big pile of BS as Ford will do it for a fee but non the less will do it for you.
They way it was all explained to me was when the coach builder buys the chase it's just a frame with wheels, a seat and a motor.when they add all the weight and the additional sails ( the sides of your coach) what do you expect.
Remember it's called the CHEEP handling fix for a reason it doesn't cost anything to do it just time if you do it yourself. It's not going to hurt and if you don't like it you can always put it back the way it was. Adding all the sway gadgets cost $$$$$$$ and once done it's not that easy to put back.

My advice, do it its worth the time or $$$$$$$$ and you can always add more gadgets to it.😀😀😀😀👍