Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2014, 03:20 AM   #1
J K

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #1160
2015 ACE side and backup cameras

i realize this is probably a stupid question, but i've read the manuals and am not finding the answer. i have a 2015 ACE and on the trip home form the dealership, i had been using the side monitors and back up camera without problems. flick the turn signal, the side monitor would light up without issue. put the transmission in reverse and the backup camera would display just fine. about halfway through the trip, they both stopped working and would only work when i run the generator. i'm guessing i flipped a switch somewhere but can't figure it out. any help?

Old 10-02-2014, 03:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Now that is weird.

Depending on the stereo you have, the video switch connected to your cameras and turn-signal is either part of the stereo itself (Jensen JRV212t), or an independent video switch module, or part of your monitor if the camera display is independent of the stereo.

The power source for the cameras can also be from the stereo, monitor, or independently powered.

In all cases, the power for both cameras and switch would be 12VDC.

It is a mystery to me how the generator would be involved...

unless the cameras are powered by the coach batteries rather than the engine battery, and somehow the coach battery got disconnected. Make sure the coach battery is enabled (should be a switch near the door of your coach with a green LED).

Thor started re-wiring the stereo systems from the engine battery to coach battery a couple of years ago so that you could listen to the stereo when you were camping without risk of running down the vehicle battery.

Previously, the stereo was connected to the vehicle battery. I suppose there are advantages and disadvantages to either method.

Of course, this assumes that the cameras are using the same power source as the stereo system.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:16 AM   #3
J K

THOR #1160
fw28z - appreciate your response. the rv is parked right now, but i plan to get it this weekend and will check the things your noted. i do have the jensen with the camera functions integrated in the dash stereo.

i had been using the cameras without issue and then on day 2 of the trip home, i noticed the cameras wouldn't work. after i got home and was going through the rv, i had the generator running and went for a drive. that's when i noticed the cameras were working again. when i turned the generator off, the cameras wouldn't work.

i'm almost positive the coach battery was enabled the entire time, but i will double check that. thanks again for your help.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:16 AM   #4
J K

THOR #1160
FW28Z: you were correct. The 2015 Thor ACE 30.2 has a coach battery use/disconnect switch by the entry. I had it switched off. When on or in use, the stereo and back-up cameras work. When disconnected, the generator must be running to use the stereo and backup camera and other coach items. I had the RV parked until tonight, so I was just able to check now. Thanks again for your help.