Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2017, 12:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #7319
2015 Vegas 24.1 Entry Door Lock Assembly

Hello Community. While on a trip celebrating our anniversary, my wife and I found ourselves locked outside of the RV. It eventually opened and I found that the latch was not opening all of the way when the handle was pulled. I opened it up and found a broken piece of plastic...why you'd put a piece of plastic in a lock is beyond me, asking for a failure. Anyway, does anyone know of the replacement part? I want to get it ordered so I can fix when I get home. I'm willing to just replace the entire thing at this point, even though it will make my 5 copies of the two different locks keys useless...thanks!

Old 07-22-2017, 01:23 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
The same thing happened to me. The little plastic thing was split and wouldn't stay closed.

I made a small metal collar to put around the plastic holding it together. The lock now works like new.

I made the ring with some tinned sheet metal, cut to the right size and soldered it together to hold the plastic in the right shape and position.

Who knows why they used plastic? Probably so they can sell more replacement locks???
Old 07-22-2017, 03:09 AM   #3

THOR #7319
Thanks I may try that.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:16 AM   #4

THOR #7319
I bought the TriMark T507 Motorhome Door Lock with Deadbolt for about $105 on Amazon. This lock is an exact match for the one currently in the coach. After taking out the plastic broken piece, the door seems to work perfectly. I've decided to keep the new lock, but keep the old one in there for now. Hopefully anyone else in this situation now knows the lock to buy as a replacement.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:25 PM   #5

Model: Citation Sprinter 24SR
State: Oregon
THOR #972
I left my Citation Sprinter at a trailhead only to return after a 5 day backpacking adventure to a coach door that would not open regardless of the amount of force I applied. Fortunately I had decided to take along the cab key as well so could get in thru driver/pax doors. (I'd left beer in the fridge so the rig was gonna be opened somehow, regardless .

How did you disassembled your latch? Is it a simple matter of removing screws accessible from the interior?

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2017, 09:40 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreddie View Post
How did you disassembled your latch? Is it a simple matter of removing screws accessible from the interior?

Thanks!
In addition to the 3 screws on the inside of the door, there are 2 screws on the edge of the door. I believe these are accessible only when the door is open. I am not in a position to be able to attempt to remove the lock at this time so I can't try to remove my lock. Sorry.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:42 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
This sounds very similar to the locking mechanism snapping:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...pped-8192.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:11 AM   #8

State: North Carolina
THOR #3169
What door lock fits a 2016 Vegas 24.1? What would it be under on Amazon?
Old 01-04-2020, 02:10 PM   #9

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
This is the lock for 2017-Vegas/Axis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	758E0975-8E90-43EE-A349-DD750C923763.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	22056  
Old 01-04-2020, 11:27 PM   #10

State: North Carolina
THOR #3169
RV door lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARandall View Post
I bought the TriMark T507 Motorhome Door Lock with Deadbolt for about $105 on Amazon. This lock is an exact match for the one currently in the coach. After taking out the plastic broken piece, the door seems to work perfectly. I've decided to keep the new lock, but keep the old one in there for now. Hopefully anyone else in this situation now knows the lock to buy as a replacement.

I stopped at a Camping World and bought a TriMark T507. .....it was a few $$$$$$. Less that $200.00!!!!!!!,!,!,!!!
Old 01-04-2021, 12:54 AM   #11

Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #21565
Talking 2017 Vegas 24.1 lockout

Let the grandkids play in the RV and they locked the bottom door lock (the red-handled affair as seen from the inside) and the key WOULD NOT open the bottom lock from the outside (and I had two factory keys!). Pushed on the door and tried both keys a dozen times, lubed it -- nothing! I was ready to call a locksmith ($100!!! for 5 minutes work) when my precious wife told me she thought she left her passenger side window unlocked --YAY! It was! I got my 8' ladder out, shoved the window and screen open as far as it goes and, believe it or not, stuffed my 68-year old, 6'2" 250-lbs frame through the window rather easily! Went over and flipped the little red door handle to "unlock" and I'm good to go! Hint: ALWAYS leave one window unlocked! Would have been far more work if I did not have a ladder, though. Keep a skinny 5-year handy at all times! LOL! If stranded, call a locksmith or you will damage a VERY expensive door!
Old 01-04-2021, 01:14 AM   #12

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimeth1616 View Post
Let the grandkids play in the RV and they locked the bottom door lock (the red-handled affair as seen from the inside) and the key WOULD NOT open the bottom lock from the outside (and I had two factory keys!). Pushed on the door and tried both keys a dozen times, lubed it -- nothing! I was ready to call a locksmith ($100!!! for 5 minutes work) when my precious wife told me she thought she left her passenger side window unlocked --YAY! It was! I got my 8' ladder out, shoved the window and screen open as far as it goes and, believe it or not, stuffed my 68-year old, 6'2" 250-lbs frame through the window rather easily! Went over and flipped the little red door handle to "unlock" and I'm good to go! Hint: ALWAYS leave one window unlocked! Would have been far more work if I did not have a ladder, though. Keep a skinny 5-year handy at all times! LOL! If stranded, call a locksmith or you will damage a VERY expensive door!
So what happens next?
Do you have a door key + a dead bolt key that both work properly?
Old 01-04-2021, 09:10 PM   #13

THOR #21565
Thor sub-par door locks

Hi TaylorBob1 -- the top lock works great. The bottom lock will not lock or unlock from the outside, but is usable from inside as extra security. I will just let it go for now and make absolutely sure my grandkids don't lock me our again! LOL! The quality of the locks leaves ALOT to be desired...'nuf said!
Old 01-04-2021, 09:15 PM   #14

THOR #13362
Ok
Assuming that at one time the key actually worked...

It’s an ez DIY
When you feel like going at it, take carefully apart
Take photos along the way
Also use utube for extra assistance
There may be something stuck in there (if it is actually the original key)
Old 01-07-2021, 05:37 AM   #15

THOR #21565
Great advise taylorbob1. That's my next project when the weather in Colorado gives me a break! I'll update when we get to that point! Hope you're having a great New Year so far . . . pretty much anything'll beat last year, eh?
Old 01-10-2021, 02:18 AM   #16

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
We had the TriMark door latch break at one of our Thor rallies. Mrs. S was inside and not too happy about it. We had a Thor rep addressing our gathering at the time, and he was able to get it open.

CW wanted almost $200 for a replacement latch, but a call to TriMark resolved the issue. They sent me a new latch at no cost (as in FREE) with a steel plunger to replace the crappy pot metal one.

From prior forum discussions, I had left the driver window unlatched, but this time the copilot was there to unlatch the passenger side, which is easier to enter.