Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #121

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: Oregon
THOR #3926
Thanks to the posters in this thread. I will be taking delivery of a new 2016 ACE 30.2 sometime in the next week. Thanks to this thread I have several things to add to my PDI list.
And I learned about a couple of features (the sofa arm and adjustable tilt on awning) that I didn't know about. I'll bet my salesman doesn't know either. It will be fun to see if he does.
I am a newbie to this forum, but not to RV camping. DW and I have been camping in a 29' class C for about 8 years. We recently retired and are moving up to a floor plan and some features that we are very excited about. Grandkids are really excited about those bunk beds.
Thanks again.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #122
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase. May the travels be many and the problems be few.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #123

Model: 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Michigan
THOR #2780
Congratulations Dave911 on your purchase. May you make great memories for your grandkids.

Be sure your salesman shows you how to change the angle on your awning. We took it for granted that it would be like our previous awning and obviously it wasn't. The funny thing is there is no mention in the owner's manual how to do it either.
Modified w/ a wheelchair lift
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #124
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davet911 View Post
Thanks to the posters in this thread. I will be taking delivery of a new 2016 ACE 30.2 sometime in the next week. Thanks to this thread I have several things to add to my PDI list.
And I learned about a couple of features (the sofa arm and adjustable tilt on awning) that I didn't know about. I'll bet my salesman doesn't know either. It will be fun to see if he does.
I am a newbie to this forum, but not to RV camping. DW and I have been camping in a 29' class C for about 8 years. We recently retired and are moving up to a floor plan and some features that we are very excited about. Grandkids are really excited about those bunk beds.
Thanks again.
Make sure on PDI ... that every thing electrical works when on Shore Power and then have the PDI person, disconnect the Shore Power..and check all electrical that operates on House Batteries. (remember, the refrig & microwave do not operate on house batteries)

Make sure all the exterior locks on the storage boxes, etc. work properly..they are easily adjusted, but you don't one flapping in the breeze at 65mph !!

speaking from experience !! on both matters !

Happy Camping
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:40 PM   #125

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
Here is a list of repairs I had done on my ACE.
Replaced 3 storage doors and adjusted 3 more. They hit wrong when closing and just weren't straight.
Repaired drawer in the master bedroom (had to redo myself thanks to my dealers shoddy work)
Re caulk numerous exterior areas
Repair broken and stripped out screws on the ladder and slide tracks
Replace 4 stripped out slide tracks and gears.
Replace hood latch that fell off.
Replace window sills on both front windows that weren't long enough leaving a gap at the bottom.
Replace wall paper that was falling off.
The over head cubbies above the front bunk fell off (fixed myself. Added larger and more screws).
Alignment (In my opinion they just shouldn't sell you a unit that's not properly set) their "it needs to be loaded" excuse doesn't jive when the toe and camber are off.
Entry door would bind and jamb closed or we couldn't close at times. On really hot days it was impossible to close the door and if you did you weren't getting it back open any time soon.
Remote for the dash radio was missing.
Water heater had a spider web in it but unfortunately I didn't have them run that before I left the dealer so they tried to say it happened after I left (make sure you try yours before you leave).
Turn signals filled with water in a rain storm and had to be replaced.
There was excess glue around the bottom skirt where they attached it to the body on both sides that had to be removed.
When installing my inverter I found out all of the fuse breakers were labeled wrong.
I just took a trip this last weekend and noticed all four of my fender flares were falling off. The caulking holding them on had come loose. There was only one screw front and rear at the bottom of each and only a thin bead of caulk holding the rest of the way around.

I'm sure there was more but those are what I remember. My 1 year warranty is almost up so I hope I'm down to the last of what I need fixed.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #126

THOR #2562
I just got a very nice call from Thor. They read the forum and we're kind enough to call me and see if there was anything they could do to help get my coach fixed. I have to say I'm very impressed that they not only take the time to read the forum but to also call me and see what they can do. Most of my problems have bin with my dealer. There has bin more repairs needed on this one than usual but not to extream and most were very easy fixes had the dealer done their job right. This isn't my first RV and I know there is always things to fix and had my dealer taken the time to fix my issues correctly and upfront it would have saved me a ton of grief.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:10 PM   #127
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
I just got a very nice call from Thor. They read the forum and we're kind enough to call me and see if there was anything they could do to help get my coach fixed. I have to say I'm very impressed that they not only take the time to read the forum but to also call me and see what they can do. Most of my problems have bin with my dealer. There has bin more repairs needed on this one than usual but not to extream and most were very easy fixes had the dealer done their job right. This isn't my first RV and I know there is always things to fix and had my dealer taken the time to fix my issues correctly and upfront it would have saved me a ton of grief.
Question based on curiosity,

Based on your comments on the forum, how does Thor know who you are or obtain the contact info to call you? Did they first send a PM asking for a phone number?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:31 PM   #128

THOR #2562
I was wondering that my self. I should have asked. She asked for West when she called which is my middle name and name on the forum and then asked if I had posted on the forum. I never sent Thor anything directly nor have I received any pm's from them.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:05 PM   #129

State: South Carolina
THOR #2915
I just noticed that my rear outside speaker is not working. The equalizer is set so both should work. Any idea what to do?

Dan

"Be all that you can be!"
Dan9841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:15 PM   #130

State: Colorado
THOR #3517
I would pull out the speaker and the radio in the bedroom to check the connections. If that doesn't solve it my guess is it will be a warranty item.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:16 PM   #131

THOR #2915
Ok thx I'll post results tomorrow.

Dan

Old 03-30-2016, 11:34 PM   #132

THOR #2562
If you move the mattress in the bedroom there is a few screws under it to remove the piece of wood towards the front. Under there you can access that speaker and the wires to it. The radio it's self comes out with just two Phillips screws. I took mine out while running wires for my inverter.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:36 PM   #133

THOR #2562
This is a picture of under the bed with the cover removed. In the bottom left corner you can see the speaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1677  
Old 04-02-2016, 06:06 AM   #134

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
OK, I see that most of you who've made posts here are Thor 30.2 owners. I'm lonely and as a Thor 29.4 owner wonder if I might join your forums........our coaches are nearly identical except my tanks are a bit bigger - and my overall length is 11" shorter than the 30.2. It would appear that most of the topics in this post would relate to my coach......but apparently there aren't to many 29.2/3/4 owners out there. There could be a reason for that - I just don't think I want to know what it might be!
Old 04-02-2016, 11:47 AM   #135
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
The main reason is everyone has different taste and needs. Please enjoy the forum here
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:30 AM   #136

THOR #2915
Ok the speaker is working now. I had to remove some of the wall around the connector so I could slide the connector on. Everything works great now.
FYI I did not eat any candy while doing this little job. someone that was working on the unit must have been hungry and left me some trash
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	1701  

Dan

Old 04-04-2016, 01:41 AM   #137

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
He may not have bothered to finish the job of connecting your speaker but he did finish the candy bar.

It makes me wonder if some of the Thor employees lack respect for Thor and Thor's customers.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:25 AM   #138

Model: ACE
State: Maryland
THOR #3709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9841 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am in the market for a new RV and I would like to hear from owners of a 2016 Thor ACE 30.2 about their satisfaction and issues with this unit. I have been reading a lot about this make/model and as you can imagine there are many horror stories out there. Any insight to this unit is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan
Dan : I have had my Thor ACE 30.2 since February. Made some road trips and now have just over 1,000 miles on my ACE. Love the layout as others have noted, we are grandparents ( not yet retired ) and the bunks are great for the grandkids. Mine was a demo unit taken to RV Shows, etc., so it has all 5 TV's the upgraded Fans in the Living Room & Bedroom and the 15K AC Unit. Again, I love the design and the ACE Concept, however there are some quality control challenges that should have never occurred. Here is my list so far quirks :
1. When DeWinterizing this past weekend for our Maiden Overnight Voyage, I flushed the system, opened the faucets, everywhere per the instructions. I turned on the shower and water ran out all over the floor. The glass shower door/surround was not caulked on the inside at all, allowing water to flow past the surround. Fixed myself.
2. I do not have any bathroom door stop, but I can see what dangers that have already been mentioned could occur if the bathroom door is not closed. Going to get a door stop and also an install a spring loaded hinge to avoid this disaster.
3. I was also locked in the motor home. Not sure if it was my fault or not, just learning the two position lock assembly. Had to had my keys out the window to another patron at the RV Park and have them let us out. The snugness of the entry door seems to be worse when the unit is not fully level. Used some dry lube around the latch assembly and frame and it is greatly improved.
4. The very first time I opened one of the frameless windows over the dinette and the window operator broke. Found a 15 minute repair on YouTube and ordered the replacement part from Pellandent. Got spare operators for other windows since there is no way to hold them closed and drive, unless you resort to duct tape.
5. This past weekend, I had some handling issues, that I did not have earlier. However, we had some strong wind gusts. It was also the first time we had 35 -40 gallons of water and other contents & passengers.
6. The good news is that my salesman is a friend that worked for Fleetwood where they manufactured motor homes for over 30 years as the shop foreman before they closed the local plant elsewhere for less expensive labor. He has guided & assisted me all the way.

Overall, I love my unit. Concerned about the quality control and all of the negative comments regarding the full wall slide. I would hate to be trapped somewhere with the slide stuck out. :-( So far, so good and my wife and I and our 3 Cocker Spaniels had a great getaway weekend. Next weekend with have planned a getaway with grandchildren and son & daughter in law.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:42 AM   #139

THOR #2915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hummel View Post
Dan : I have had my Thor ACE 30.2 since February. Made some road trips and now have just over 1,000 miles on my ACE. Love the layout as others have noted, we are grandparents ( not yet retired ) and the bunks are great for the grandkids. Mine was a demo unit taken to RV Shows, etc., so it has all 5 TV's the upgraded Fans in the Living Room & Bedroom and the 15K AC Unit. Again, I love the design and the ACE Concept, however there are some quality control challenges that should have never occurred. Here is my list so far quirks :
1. When DeWinterizing this past weekend for our Maiden Overnight Voyage, I flushed the system, opened the faucets, everywhere per the instructions. I turned on the shower and water ran out all over the floor. The glass shower door/surround was not caulked on the inside at all, allowing water to flow past the surround. Fixed myself.
2. I do not have any bathroom door stop, but I can see what dangers that have already been mentioned could occur if the bathroom door is not closed. Going to get a door stop and also an install a spring loaded hinge to avoid this disaster.
3. I was also locked in the motor home. Not sure if it was my fault or not, just learning the two position lock assembly. Had to had my keys out the window to another patron at the RV Park and have them let us out. The snugness of the entry door seems to be worse when the unit is not fully level. Used some dry lube around the latch assembly and frame and it is greatly improved.
4. The very first time I opened one of the frameless windows over the dinette and the window operator broke. Found a 15 minute repair on YouTube and ordered the replacement part from Pellandent. Got spare operators for other windows since there is no way to hold them closed and drive, unless you resort to duct tape.
5. This past weekend, I had some handling issues, that I did not have earlier. However, we had some strong wind gusts. It was also the first time we had 35 -40 gallons of water and other contents & passengers.
6. The good news is that my salesman is a friend that worked for Fleetwood where they manufactured motor homes for over 30 years as the shop foreman before they closed the local plant elsewhere for less expensive labor. He has guided & assisted me all the way.

Overall, I love my unit. Concerned about the quality control and all of the negative comments regarding the full wall slide. I would hate to be trapped somewhere with the slide stuck out. :-( So far, so good and my wife and I and our 3 Cocker Spaniels had a great getaway weekend. Next weekend with have planned a getaway with grandchildren and son & daughter in law.
Steve,

On item number 1 I would like to add something. I had issues with water collecting on the left side by the door. I figured out that the problem was due to the rubber seal under the door. When you close the door the rubber seal was on the outside of the door so the water that was running down the shower door was seeping slowly to the door along the tub. When I get in the shower now I make sure to bring that rubber seal over the frame and haven't had an issue since. Try it out! It worked for me.

Items number 3: make sure when you pick your site it is level enough so that when you level the RV it is still on the wheels. I had that issue initially and to overcome that I placed a few small blocks under the wheel and drove it up on that for additional leveling. I also placed the same about of block height under the leveling jacks and haven't had an issue since with the door frame being stressed to much.

Overall I love this unit and wouldn't have it any other way. I am full timing and enjoy every bit of it. Congrats on your new motor coach and I wish you the best.

Dan

Old 04-05-2016, 02:46 AM   #140

THOR #2915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
He may not have bothered to finish the job of connecting your speaker but he did finish the candy bar.

It makes me wonder if some of the Thor employees lack respect for Thor and Thor's customers.
Bobby,

I would say that they lack respect. I'd say that the installers just don't know and lack some mentoring. I have noticed that everywhere I open a door or panel I discover saw dust. How hard is it to run a shopvac through the unit to clean this up after installing equipment? I guess I will do it for them. Other than that I really haven't found anything that I would consider gross negligence on Thors behalf. Keep it going Thor!!!

Dan

Tags
2016, 30.2, ace 30.2, advice, thor ace