Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2016, 02:47 AM   #161

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Michigan
THOR #2780
Thanks Dan. Maybe we can catch up another time. We may be back again.

Modified w/ a wheelchair lift
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:31 AM   #162
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
might be a wire that became disconnected from the motor
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:22 AM   #163
WVU

Model: ACE 30.2
State: West Virginia
THOR #3985
Check ALL your caulk joints in the roof, raining pouring in all over my driver side dash. Took down board that holds the curtain water damage all over curtain, overhead cabinets and finally found a small 1" long seam where the caulk was separated on the roof at front. Also while taking apart I found more broken off screw heads the ones that hold up the drop down bed, oh brother!!!

What did we buy??? I'm starting to worry!
Old 04-08-2016, 12:30 AM   #164

THOR #2780
I hope everyone has taken out the extended warranty. I'm glad we did because last year it more than paid for itself when the hydraulic pump for the leveling jacks went out. The cost to replace it was almost $8,000. With the issue we are now having with our slide-out not going all the way out nor all the way in, I can only imagine what this is going to run. We also had the crank handle for the antennae break. The trips back and forth from N. Carolina has caused more issues than our trip to Alaska and back. We'll now check the caulking on the driver's side before we have an issue there.

Almost home....
Old 04-08-2016, 12:44 AM   #165

THOR #2780
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU View Post
Also sounds silly but make sure nothing has rolled into the small space back by the bed. My wife had a green tea bottle that I crushed.
My wife hasn't had a chance to check under the piece of rubber by the bottom bunk to see if there are any crayons under it. Our sweet, sweet granddaughter was playing with some crayons on the floor by the bottom bunk when my wife noticed she was putting crayons under the piece of rubber. My wife isn't sure if she got all the crayons from under it. When we get home she'll take a look. I'll be sure to update everyone on her findings. The great joys of grandchildren.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:50 AM   #166

THOR #2780
Dan,

Thanks very much for the slide-out trouble-shooting flowchart. If we don't find anything under the bunk bed we'll go through this.

Everyone should have this.

http://www.amlrv.com/site/wp-content...l-override.pdf
Old 04-08-2016, 01:27 AM   #167

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
This is the Trombetta in my Axis. The two large red wires run to the coach and chassis batteries. So if you put a battery cable between them, you manually hook the two banks together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1732  
Old 04-10-2016, 11:47 PM   #168

THOR #2780
Just a quick update on our slide out. My wife managed to clean out underneath it and found no crayons (yeah!) only some small stones. She did notice where the rubber seal makes a turn at the end of the bottom bunk back towards the dresser, it was kinked. She straightened it out, but now need the snow to stop and the temps. to warm-up before we try extending to slide out again.

Another quick question, where do you get your oil changed at? I normally would do it myself, but since my accident it is one of many things I'm unable to do now. We bought our unit at a General RV store and they claim they do not do oil changes.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2016, 12:00 AM   #169

State: South Carolina
THOR #2915
I would just go to CW for the oil change. I haven't had any issues with cw so no need to run anywhere else "yet". I believe an extended warranty is a must on a new coach. I purchased a 7 year 70000 mile. That was the best for me since I will not have that many mikes in 7 years. That is also the time I am planning to upgrade.

Today as I was messing around in the coach I found the top step in the entrance to be loose. I was wondering what was going on and discovered another storage area under the step
I wonder what else I will find in the months to come.

Dan

"Be all that you can be!"
Dan9841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:17 AM   #170
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
If you are in Southeastern Michigan you can go to the Camping World in Belleville, or you can try Brighton Ford.

Camping World will change the oil in both the engine and the genny, Brighton Ford will only do the V-10 (The Onan/Cummins shop in New Hudson on Grand River can change the genny oil).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:29 AM   #171

THOR #2780
Thanks for the info. We had the oil changed the first time at a garage in Fairbanks, Alaska. That is when I also had them change it to a full synthetic. When we got home we tried General RV. We did end up taking it to Brighton Ford, but am wondering if we can't get it changed some place closer. We live near Flint. Brighton is 45 minutes away and Belleville is over an hour away. We had a neighbor friend change the oil in the generator. We ran way too many hours before we did the first oil change on that.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:50 AM   #172

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Thanks for the info. We had the oil changed the first time at a garage in Fairbanks, Alaska. That is when I also had them change it to a full synthetic. When we got home we tried General RV. We did end up taking it to Brighton Ford, but am wondering if we can't get it changed some place closer. We live near Flint. Brighton is 45 minutes away and Belleville is over an hour away. We had a neighbor friend change the oil in the generator. We ran way too many hours before we did the first oil change on that.
I imagine that any shop that works on trucks can do an oil change.

I don't understand how a store in hat sells motorhomes can't do an oil change.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:07 AM   #173
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Did you try the General RV near Birch Run? General RV is a chain with their HQ in Wixom. The Birch Run location doesn't look that large--I can see them not offering much in service.

When I had our RV at the Cummins service shop (for Generator warranty work) they had indicated that they could also service the RV (tried to sell me a Banks exhaust system). You could try them (although the one in New Hudson is no closer to you than Brighton Ford, there is also one in Saginaw if that is closer--about 30 miles North of Flint).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:07 AM   #174

State: Oregon
THOR #3926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9841 View Post
First I want to congratulate you on your new purchase. Second, could you list some of the things you found during the PDI? When I took delivery I only had a few minor trim issues but they were quickly resolved. Thx
Hey Dan9841,

Sorry that it has taken me so long to respond. It's been a busy week.
We are very happy with this coach. Love the floor plan and the features. Most of the issues are cosmetic. I have already received a call from the Thor concierge to make sure I have all the contact information for them.
First let me say that my wife and I are trying to fix things that we can. My wife has been walking around the coach filling nail holes and fixing scratches to the woodwork. FWIW the minwax filler pencil and stain pen in red oak matches our dark woodwork perfectly.
Some of the things that I am asking CW to fix, I could fix, but I want them to try. Some of this list are things found during the PDI and some in the week that we have had the coach. We live about 20 to 25 miles from this CW, so it is not a huge issue to take the coach back to them. I live less than 5 miles from the CW that I usually use. I bought from the CW farther away because I have known the sales manager for many years and he has always done a good job taking care of us. I am returning to this CW for these repairs in deference to him. That being said the service manager and CW store manager at the closer CW are also old friends of mine and take very good care of me. I will go to the closer CW for everything else.
After all of that, here is the list.
The rear frame of the lower couch cushion is sagging at the back and appears to be bent.
A screw head is snapped off one of the ladder mounts and the other 3 are crooked. I fear that they might also snap off.
An unsecured wire bundle in the rear wheel well.
4 hook and wheel assemblies missing from front curtain.
Front edge of laminate top of bathroom counter very rough where it meets the counter edging.
Front fascia on bathroom cabinet not attached at one end.
Trim loose and bowed at rear interior of slide opening.
Missing screws in bedroom tv cabinet.
3 exterior storage compartment doors sagging.
Refrigerator light does not illuminate.
An exterior decal is damaged on an edge.
Fiber tape is bunched up on bottom of slide in one of the trenches.
Cabover bunk frame doesn't line up well with ceiling magnets.
Sharp staples? are poking up on top of 3 lambrequins under the fabric.
Drivers chair arms are at different levels when deployed.
A dash screw is not contacting anything behind the dash.

The bathroom door stop was either bent, cracked or very flimsy and bent over against the wall. It snapped off when I tried to straighten it. When I examined it I couldn't believe how thin the metal was. Since I didn't want it replaced with another one, I bought a nice solid brass stop with a much larger bumper and installed it. I pulled up the top panels on the bed platform and found only one screw was actually engaged with any of the frame underneath on one of the two panels. I vacuumed out the area underneath and reinstalled, with the screws actually engaging the frame underneath.
Mine only had screws down the center seam. Was yours like that? I will probably go back and add screws all the way around the panel.

Do I wish that Thor paid more attention to details and the assemblers were more careful inside of the coaches as they assemble them. Of course. Am I happy with the price I paid. Absolutely. I didn't expect perfect and I understand that Thor has to assemble these coaches fast enough to make a profit.
This list consists mostly of little cosmetic items and my dealer and Thor seem to be very interested in making me happy with fixing what I found.
All systems in the coach seem to be working well. We keep finding new features in the coach. And I would close with the fact that we both LOVE our coach.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:25 AM   #175

State: Oregon
THOR #3926
Hi all,
I was doing a project on the ACE the other day and found a feature by accident like Dan found the top step storage.
I had been complaining that there wasn't a 110 plug on my (rear) side of the bed. I was lying on the floor in between the bed and rear wall routing a wire for the electric blanket. I moved the flashlight to see where to install the next clamp and,lo and behold, there was my 110 plug on the side of the bed pedestal (near the head of the bed). The plug and trim are the same dark brown as the wood in our coach and this plug is hidden under the bed platform overhang. One more happy discovery in our coach.

Dave
Old 04-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #176
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davet911 View Post
Hi all,
I was doing a project on the ACE the other day and found a feature by accident like Dan found the top step storage.
I had been complaining that there wasn't a 110 plug on my (rear) side of the bed. I was lying on the floor in between the bed and rear wall routing a wire for the electric blanket. I moved the flashlight to see where to install the next clamp and,lo and behold, there was my 110 plug on the side of the bed pedestal (near the head of the bed). The plug and trim are the same dark brown as the wood in our coach and this plug is hidden under the bed platform overhang. One more happy discovery in our coach.

Dave
Having had 3 RVs previously, I can attest to the lack of 110 outlets...
I am so happy to say, our new Axis has an abundance of outlets, strategically placed. Thor got this one right !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #177

THOR #2915
Dave,

I had to go under the bed a few weeks ago to connect a wire that wasn't attached to the rear outside speaker. I had 4 screws attached to the center frame that held the bed base in pace.
I did look at some of the cabinets and found one in the kitchen that had an exterior screw missing. Thanks for your listing.

Dan

Old 04-16-2016, 01:18 AM   #178
WVU

State: West Virginia
THOR #3985
Can anyone comment or recommend a surge protector or voltage management system? I am trying to decide exterior vs. hard wired. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:00 AM   #179
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU View Post
Can anyone comment or recommend a surge protector or voltage management system? I am trying to decide exterior vs. hard wired. Thanks in advance.
IF I'm not mistaken the ACE is 30 amp. This is the one I used for years on my Class C. Never had a problem.

http://www.amazon.com/TRC-44260-Amp-...ctor+rv+30+amp

If your running 50 amp, TRC also makes a 50 version.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:47 AM   #180

THOR #2915
[QUOTE=WVU;32044]Can anyone comment or recommend a surge protector or voltage management system? I am trying to decide exterior vs. hard wired. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTEPortable 30-amp Surge Protector with Voltage Protection - Progressive EMS-PT30C - Surge Protectors - Camping World

That's what I use. Haven't had any issue yet.

Dan

Tags
2016, 30.2, ace 30.2, advice, thor ace