Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #201

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
DaveT911 are you getting lousy service from the Wood Village CW store? I called in mid May to have my GFCI circuit checked because the entire circuit works intermittently and the earliest I could get an "appointment" is July 7th. No, it's not the fuse.........it has something to do with one of the slides, where ever all the wires for the GFCI circuit come together. Just curious - my warranty runs out in Oct. and then I'll be going to Wilsonville for anything needing fixed under the extended warranty.

I made an appt in mid-Nov because the hot water heater wasn't working on the AC side and they were going to winterize it for the first time. My appt was Dec. 19th - it sat in their lot for two weeks after that before they ever got anybody on it........right through the winter freeze we had that week! Took 6 weeks to get it back but no damage done because of the freeze. I'm done with Wood Village.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:29 PM   #202

Model: ACE 30.2
State: South Carolina
THOR #2915
Ok my fellow RVers,

Today I createc a sample sewing of the textilene 90. In the picture you can see the fold (1 inch) and the snap I attached to it. I think this product is a go and it's easy to sew with a size 100/16 sewing machine needle. I am using polyester size 69 thread which is great to work with. The only thing that I need to make sure of that I sew from inside out. The sample picture provided shows the seams in where I sewed from outside to inside. That's why you see some of the seem lines imperfections. Additionally the sample textilene is a dark brown and not black. I will be making my cover with black textilene 90. I will continue to post pictures of the project as I go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	2224  

Dan

"Be all that you can be!"
Dan9841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:30 PM   #203

THOR #2915
Second picture
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	123
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	2225  

Dan

Old 06-13-2016, 11:37 PM   #204

THOR #2915
Templates are simple to create. A paint plastic cover will do the trick. Trace along the outside of the rubber seal with a sharpie.
This is the template for the driver side window and what's great about it is that you only need to create one side because you can mirror it to the other side window. I didn't lay out the windshield template because it is to large and I don't have room for it here.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	128
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	2226  

Dan

Old 06-14-2016, 01:08 AM   #205
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9841 View Post
Templates are simple to create. A paint plastic cover will do the trick. Trace along the outside of the rubber seal with a sharpie.
This is the template for the driver side window and what's great about it is that you only need to create one side because you can mirror it to the other side window. I didn't lay out the windshield template because it is to large and I don't have room for it here.
Dan... thanks for posting photos .. I think your template for the side window answers my question...however, I will ask for clarification. Are you doing separate covers for your windows?
We are thinking of bringing the wrap all the way around...one piece...and where the corner is, make the necessary 'fold' in the fabric to come around from front to side. Still in the 'thinking' process.

Regarding the snaps...the install on the coach...how will that go ?

Thank you

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:24 AM   #206

THOR #2915
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Dan... thanks for posting photos .. I think your template for the side window answers my question...however, I will ask for clarification. Are you doing separate covers for your windows?
We are thinking of bringing the wrap all the way around...one piece...and where the corner is, make the necessary 'fold' in the fabric to come around from front to side. Still in the 'thinking' process.

Regarding the snaps...the install on the coach...how will that go ?

Thank you

K
You are correct. I am doing all windows individually because I want it to be nice and tight. If I start messing around with corners the sewing gets much harder.
I am go into explain the snap on process. I will use the template and lay it out on the material. I will add 2 inches to the template so when I for it over by 1 inch it will extend past the rubber seal around the windshield. Once the windshield cover is sewn I will dry fit it to the RV taping it down. The 60 ich X 20 foot roll weighs approximately 13.5 lbs. I don't think it will be heavy enough for the masking tape to have an issue with. Once I the dry fit is correct I will use my exacto knife and mark the drill sites and the small puncture on the fabric. I purchased a soap stone marker from JoAnn to help me with marking the fabric. After the sites are marked I will use a 7/16 drill bit to drill the pilots holes for the actual screw. Before attaching the screw to the fiberglass I will use some RV silicone on the drilled holes to ensure it is properly sealed. The screws will sink right into the fiberglass.

I hope this helped.

Dan

Old 06-14-2016, 02:55 AM   #207
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9841 View Post
You are correct. I am doing all windows individually because I want it to be nice and tight. If I start messing around with corners the sewing gets much harder.
I am go into explain the snap on process. I will use the template and lay it out on the material. I will add 2 inches to the template so when I for it over by 1 inch it will extend past the rubber seal around the windshield. Once the windshield cover is sewn I will dry fit it to the RV taping it down. The 60 ich X 20 foot roll weighs approximately 13.5 lbs. I don't think it will be heavy enough for the masking tape to have an issue with. Once I the dry fit is correct I will use my exacto knife and mark the drill sites and the small puncture on the fabric. I purchased a soap stone marker from JoAnn to help me with marking the fabric. After the sites are marked I will use a 7/16 drill bit to drill the pilots holes for the actual screw. Before attaching the screw to the fiberglass I will use some RV silicone on the drilled holes to ensure it is properly sealed. The screws will sink right into the fiberglass.

I hope this helped.
Yes...Thank YOU Dan ! We appreciate your time !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #208
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Interesting custom cover--about 1/4 - 1/3 the cost of my Sunguard. You may want to re-enforce where the snaps are sewn/pressed into the cover. The Sunguard has an extra square of material where the snaps/velcro is.

If I was making one I think I'd go with individual covers for the 3 front windows--you'd waste a lot of material making one wrap around cover. It would also be more difficult to store.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #209

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2287
Hi, I realized that Camping World does not have sufficient personal to service all the RV they sell. They will take your RV and park it in lot for extended time before they work on it. I try to learn as much as I can so that when something happens I have idea of things I can do to isolate problem. The forums are a great source of information because other RV owners may have had the same problem. RV today are not made the same as years ago. My last MH never saw dealer for repairs that were factory mistakes. My new ACE had a window leak, a vent put in sideways and other things. Changing window took 4 months and the vent I fixed myself. Well we have to cheer up and enjoy our investment. Happy camping Ozzie
Old 06-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #210

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Interesting mod. Please keep posting.

Just one question: Did you think about using magnets to hold the shades in place?

The metal plates could be glued to the inside of the unit around the windows and the magnets sewn into the 1" double trim with a little wiggle room (the pocket 50% or so larger than the magnet) to allow for a little flexibility during the installing.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #211

THOR #2915
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Interesting mod. Please keep posting.

Just one question: Did you think about using magnets to hold the shades in place?

The metal plates could be glued to the inside of the unit around the windows and the magnets sewn into the 1" double trim with a little wiggle room (the pocket 50% or so larger than the magnet) to allow for a little flexibility during the installing.

Doc
Doc,

I have been toying around with the magna shade idea for a while. I decided against it because the rare earth magnets cost way to much. I am planning to make a cover for all my windows. I will continue posting pictures as the project progresses.

Dan

Old 06-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #212

THOR #2142
Dan,

I understand that, they are a bit pricey. I just got a 90lb rare earth magnet to use for my external Wi-Fi antenna mount (first I had to bond a 4"X6" Stainless Steel Plate just behind the upper rear corner of the passanger side window...no holes).

DW just hates the thought of drilling holes in the RV. When I installed "THE ARC" shower curtain rod mounts I had to promise to seal the 6 mounting screw holes with silicone waterproofing caulk before she felt comfortable with the procedure.

Please, keep posting as you go thru your modification.

Doc

Old 06-14-2016, 03:11 PM   #213

THOR #2915
Quote:
Dan,

I understand that, they are a bit pricey. I just got a 90lb rare earth magnet to use for my external Wi-Fi antenna mount (first I had to bond a 4"X6" Stainless Steel Plate just behind the upper rear corner of the passanger side window...no holes).

DW just hates the thought of drilling holes in the RV. When I installed "THE ARC" shower curtain rod mounts I had to promise to seal the 6 mounting screw holes with silicone waterproofing caulk before she felt comfortable with the procedure.

Please, keep posting as you go thru your modification.

Doc
Using putty or silicone is always a good idea. I will definitely do that since it's the exterior. How did you mount the steel plate if you didn't drill?

Dan

Old 06-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #214

THOR #2142
Dan,

I checked with some of the more senior Forum members who recommended a specific fiberglass adhesive (name and number escape me at the moment).

Doc

Old 06-14-2016, 04:47 PM   #215

THOR #2915
Quote:
Dan,

I checked with some of the more senior Forum members who recommended a specific fiberglass adhesive (name and number escape me at the moment).

Doc
Ok thank you

Dan

Old 06-14-2016, 05:44 PM   #216

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200
Old 06-14-2016, 09:19 PM   #217

State: Tennessee
THOR #4531
Dan
I am reading these because I am looking to buy a 17 ace 30.2? What can you tell me about prices or anything I need to know? Going form a 5th wheel to this
Old 06-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #218

THOR #2915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomax009 View Post
Dan
I am reading these because I am looking to buy a 17 ace 30.2? What can you tell me about prices or anything I need to know? Going form a 5th wheel to this
I absolutely love my unit. I live in it full time during the week and wouldn't want to have it any other way. The floor plan meets my needs and when my 3 kids and wife show up, or we go camping, it provides all the space that we need. In regards to pricing I can only recommend that you call every RV dealer in your region and when you find the lowest price go to your local RV dealers and have him beat or match the price. It took me 3 months to find the best deal. Than again I was definitely not in a hurry. Depending on what type of 5th wheel you have/had (living room slides) you will find that the ACE will be more restricting (less space). Definitely go and shop around and take your time when viewing the floor plan to ensure it meets your needs.
In regards to handling I must say that it is easy to drive. If you want more specifics I'll be happy to share my experience.

Dan

Old 06-15-2016, 01:00 AM   #219

State: Tennessee
THOR #4531
Dan
I would love to hear about it!!! I just sold my Forest River work and play today and we have been looking a new entry level class a for a while. I had no slides and very limited space in toyhauler. I know longer need the garage so we would like to move up. I am between the ace 30.2 and the fr3 32ds. I love the layout in the ace but it only has 1 AC and only a 30 amp system and a 4000 Onan so I wonder on how it performs and if Onan will run everything when dry camping? The fr3 is less hp but has 50 amp 2 AC and 5500 Onan. What are your thoughts? Both are bunk units def what them
Old 06-15-2016, 02:33 AM   #220

THOR #2915
Quick update on my project. Textilene 90 was delivered today so without hesitation I started the passenger side window cover. This stuff works like a charm. It was way to sew and the cover turned out great. The mounting with the clips will have to wait until I get all the covers completed. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	136
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	2247  

Dan

Tags
2016, 30.2, ace 30.2, advice, thor ace