Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2016, 04:24 AM   #241

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: South Carolina
THOR #2915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
Wow! We have the same problem. If we lock the passenger window, the whistle is awful. If we unlock it the whistle goes away. Anybody know how to fix this?
I do not have an issue with the whistling sounds. Maybe it's because I'm a not a NASCAR driver with my MH like you guys I max out at 65mph driving like (fill in the blank) at what speeds do you experience the whistling? I might have to pay closer attention next time I'm out on the road.

Dan

"Be all that you can be!"
Dan9841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:32 PM   #242

THOR #2915
The journey continues
Today's temperatures are between stupid and hell (100 degrees). My AC unit is tripping my power. Could this be because it had been working so hard today and is having a hard time or should I once again go on a hunt for loose connections? I am keeping the AC turned off at the moment but would like some input so I can perhaps understand what is going on. Thank you all in advance.

Dan

Old 06-23-2016, 10:34 PM   #243
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Once in a while they will put the AC and the water heater on the same circuit Try running your water heater on gas. I had room in the box,so I was able to put the AC on its own breaker. Fixed my problem
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:05 PM   #244

THOR #2915
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
Once in a while they will put the AC and the water heater on the same circuit Try running your water heater on gas. I had room in the box,so I was able to put the AC on its own breaker. Fixed my problem
My water heater runs on electric only. Thank you for the suggestion.

Dan

Old 06-23-2016, 11:06 PM   #245

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9841 View Post
I do not have an issue with the whistling sounds. Maybe it's because I'm a not a NASCAR driver with my MH like you guys I max out at 65mph driving like (fill in the blank) at what speeds do you experience the whistling? I might have to pay closer attention next time I'm out on the road.
Likely 50+mph. If we leave the the passenger side window unlatched, there is no whistle. Latch it and it is awful.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:23 PM   #246

THOR #2915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
Likely 50+mph. If we leave the the passenger side window unlatched, there is no whistle. Latch it and it is awful.
I am taking my dog house out on the road this weekend. I will make sure to pay attention to it. I'll report back after my trip home.

Dan

Old 06-24-2016, 05:11 AM   #247

Model: Thor ACE 30.2 Bunkbed
State: Minnesota
THOR #4620
New 2016 AVE 30.2

I found this forum 3 hours ago and have spent all this time reading it. You have all given me much food for thought. I purchased my ACE in Nov. last year. Before purchasing we were also looking at the Winnebago same type. We liked the fact that the Winni's top bunk folded up to allow area to be turned into closet or better access to lower bunk. We convinced our dealer to modify the ACE so it would also fold up. That was the deal MAKER. We bought the ACE. Since then we have had many of the problems that others have had.

Bolts popping up thru floor, leaking shower, toilet too high, toilet backing up, slid not working properly (had slid motor replaced), radio & camera not working at same time, driver's seat not turning all around, etc. etc. In showing us the unit, our salesman had the bathroom door against the bunks when he operated the slide and pulled the frame loose. The door stop did not do the trick. I took the door stop out because we were stubbing our toes on it. Poor planning on part of Thor.

We now have 4,000 plus miles on it. Love the floor plan, hate the shoddy work. I hope I don't wish I had purchased the Winni!

I have found many fixes on this forum. THANKS
Old 06-24-2016, 12:04 PM   #248

THOR #4032
Quote:
Dan, your water heater will not run on propane????
Old 06-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #249

THOR #2915
Quote:
I need to correct this post. I do have a LP Gas water heater in conjunction with electric.

Dan

Old 06-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #250

Model: A.C.E 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #4139
Black Tank Vent layout

I have been having problems with the toilet not flushing since I bought my coach used. I finally dug into it and found MY problem and also the venting system used on the 30.2
I will try to attach a drawing of the Black and Grey vent layout for anyone that is curious to how it is plumbed.
The Black Tank vent is attached to the Black tank with a Fitting that sticks down into the tank about an inch, so that was not my flushing problem and it was open with no way to slide down into the tank. The bathroom sink does drain into the Black Tank vent at sink height .
The Grey Tank vent is separate from the black tank vent until about 6ft up the wall then connects to the Black Tank vent.
I However did find my problem once I drilled a 1 3/4 hole in the end of the Black Tank to get a view from the inside of the tank, In my case the reason my toilet would not flush was the previous owners did not keep enough water in the tank or fill the Bowl up prior to flushing. there was a pile of petrified POOP under toilet pipe that was so hard it took 20 minutes with a high pressure spray nozzle to break it apart.
So my advice and solution to the toilet issue is always fill bowl all the way up prior to flushing #2, use RV Toilet paper, don't drain the black tank until FULL so water can keep POO from turning hard. if you can fill black tank up to the 2/3 full mark with water prior to departing on trip. at 2/3 full the tank will still hold a large amount of stuff and will keep everything nice and soft.

I apologize in advance for the drawing, I am no artist.
JEEP JKU
BrianA.C.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:05 PM   #251

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
Quote:
A friend who full-timed once told me that there's really no reason to keep the hot water tank on all the time. She used to turn it on as soon as she got up in the morning, and within 15 minutes had hot water for her shower, with enough left over to do dishes until dinner. She'd then turn it on for 5 minutes to get enough for her dinner dishes and then turn it off again.

We do the same thing, and for 2 of us it works just fine. We find no need to use extra electricity or propane just in case we need hot water. The tank is so small it really doesn't take long to heat what we need.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:34 PM   #252

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Maryland
THOR #4623
This thread has been great and has addressed many questions I had. Thank you to you all!

One topic I did not see was where the drain to the fresh water tank is located. I've read through the manual but seem unable to find it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, for those who added stabilizers, was it worth the investment? I do not tow a car but have been thinking about adding a stabilizer to help with the handling at higher speeds.

Thanks,
Steve aka BigDaddy388
Old 06-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #253

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy388 View Post
Also, for those who added stabilizers, was it worth the investment? I do not tow a car but have been thinking about adding a stabilizer to help with the handling at higher speeds.
That was our first after-market purchase. We could tell immediately how much better the rig drove, especially on the freeway when big rigs passed us.

I'm sad that the manufacturers don't add them as a standard item.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:16 PM   #254

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianA.C.E View Post
I have been having problems with the toilet not flushing since I bought my coach used. I finally dug into it and found MY problem and also the venting system used on the 30.2
I will try to attach a drawing of the Black and Grey vent layout for anyone that is curious to how it is plumbed.
The Black Tank vent is attached to the Black tank with a Fitting that sticks down into the tank about an inch, so that was not my flushing problem and it was open with no way to slide down into the tank. The bathroom sink does drain into the Black Tank vent at sink height .
The Grey Tank vent is separate from the black tank vent until about 6ft up the wall then connects to the Black Tank vent.
I However did find my problem once I drilled a 1 3/4 hole in the end of the Black Tank to get a view from the inside of the tank, In my case the reason my toilet would not flush was the previous owners did not keep enough water in the tank or fill the Bowl up prior to flushing. there was a pile of petrified POOP under toilet pipe that was so hard it took 20 minutes with a high pressure spray nozzle to break it apart.
So my advice and solution to the toilet issue is always fill bowl all the way up prior to flushing #2, use RV Toilet paper, don't drain the black tank until FULL so water can keep POO from turning hard. if you can fill black tank up to the 2/3 full mark with water prior to departing on trip. at 2/3 full the tank will still hold a large amount of stuff and will keep everything nice and soft.

Good information... I think it is a good idea to partially fill the tank prior to departing and then drain it when you get there...cannot always do it but sounds good.

How long does your tank go until you have to dump? We only get two or three days and there are only two of us.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #255

Model: A.C.E 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #4139
Being that I just found the problem last night, it is still too early to confirm how long and if for sure this solution will work. I leave in the morning for a trip and will be back July 6th. will post any new findings after 3 adults stay in it for the next 2wks.
JEEP JKU
BrianA.C.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:53 AM   #256

Model: 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Michigan
THOR #2780
Quote:

Interesting to hear about your issues with flushing your toilet. I also have drawings for both the grey and black tanks. Our toilet was moved approximately 3.5 feet towards the passenger side of the unit. We have had to use a plumber's snake just about after every use and no one is doing number 2. It's just urine and toilet paper. I still think there maybe a venting issue because the vent is at the passenger side of the tank.

If you look at the black tank drawing you'll see that the passenger end of the tank is only 3 inches high. It could be fairly easy to put the vent pipe in too far thus restricting the amount and speed at which the air in the tank can escape. The other thing to look at on the drawing is the slope of the black tank. It has a 3 inch drop over 72.25 inches. Another way to put it is a one inch drop every 24 inches. This is not much of a slope. Even filling the bowl full of water probably isn't enough to push poop and toilet paper down into the main part of the tank. I think we may have experienced the same problem even if we did not relocate the toilet. The only difference being it might have taken a few more flushes before the problem would surface because the bottom of the black tank would be an inch or two further from the bottom of the toilet.

Not sure if this will help anyone or not. I've seen a number of prior posts where owners have expressed frustration over their toilet issues and they have been owners of the ACE 30.2.
Modified w/ a wheelchair lift
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:55 PM   #257

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
BigDaddy388 asked:
"One topic I did not see was where the drain to the fresh water tank is located. I've read through the manual but seem unable to find it. Any help is greatly appreciated."

I have a 29.4 which is similar to the 30.2. To access my fresh water drain I have to remove the middle dresser drawer in the bedroom. You have to pull it out completely, pushing up or down on the black nylon hairpin looking thingy's - for lack of a better word. Once the drawer is removed you can see the T-valve handle coming out of the bottom of the fresh water tank. I have to practically crawl half way into the drawer opening to reach it, just to turn it 1/4 turn.
I'm neither a plumber nor a handyman - but I'm certain there is a modification out there somewhere that can allow access differently - and eliminate having to take out the dresser drawer. Someone suggested a 12v pump on my post......but I'm not handy enough to figure that one out either.
IF you or anyone else comes up with an idea that I might be able to do - please let me know. I could have had it done at Camping World but didn't have an extra arm or leg that they were going to charge me to do "something"......

Karl
Old 07-05-2016, 11:17 PM   #258

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappydude View Post
BigDaddy388 asked:
"One topic I did not see was where the drain to the fresh water tank is located. I've read through the manual but seem unable to find it. Any help is greatly appreciated."

I have a 29.4 which is similar to the 30.2. To access my fresh water drain I have to remove the middle dresser drawer in the bedroom. You have to pull it out completely, pushing up or down on the black nylon hairpin looking thingy's - for lack of a better word. Once the drawer is removed you can see the T-valve handle coming out of the bottom of the fresh water tank. I have to practically crawl half way into the drawer opening to reach it, just to turn it 1/4 turn.
I'm neither a plumber nor a handyman - but I'm certain there is a modification out there somewhere that can allow access differently - and eliminate having to take out the dresser drawer. Someone suggested a 12v pump on my post......but I'm not handy enough to figure that one out either.
IF you or anyone else comes up with an idea that I might be able to do - please let me know. I could have had it done at Camping World but didn't have an extra arm or leg that they were going to charge me to do "something"......

Karl
On the 30.2 it's next to the water pump in the same compartment as the black and grey water drains. There is a little pull ring on the left side of the pump. Pull it and it will drain the fresh water tank.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:56 AM   #259

Model: 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Michigan
THOR #2780
I was about to say the same thing about where the fresh water tank drain valve is.

Of note, after only 2 years since purchasing our unit, we had to have that particular valve replaced because it was difficult to open.
Modified w/ a wheelchair lift
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:41 PM   #260
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Being that I just found the problem last night, it is still too early to confirm how long and if for sure this solution will work. I leave in the morning for a trip and will be back July 6th. will post any new findings after 3 adults stay in it for the next 2wks.
We are disappointed, once again, with design flaws in certain units.
We DID enjoy and appreciate your findings (ugh) and solution !
To reconfirm your solution....
We, in our Axis, and previous rv's have not had the dried 'stuff' problem, as
we keep our black tank shut off from the campsite drain until 3/4 full...and
make sure plenty of water goes in on each and every flush.

Good luck with your ACE and have FUN !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016, 30.2, ace 30.2, advice, thor ace