Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2017, 11:11 PM   #281

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Maryland
THOR #3709
Congratulations on your purchase of the ACE 30.2

My wife & I have a 2016 and greatly enjoy it. We look forward to the weekend getaways with our 3 Cocker Spaniels and the longer trips with our grandchildren. Enjoy !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1882.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	4313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1851.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	4314  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1852.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	4315  

Old 03-27-2017, 12:10 AM   #282

THOR #3709
We have a 2016 Thor ACE 30.2 and we have 2 Coach Batteries

The only issue I have with the coach batteries is since they are "wet" batteries, is the corrosion. Sometime soon, I need to pull them out and sand the compartment and repaint. When I do that, I am going to put the batteries in the vinyl battery boxes that Camping World sells and not place the tops on them. I have never over filled them, I guess that it is just because I kept them plugged in last winter rather than pull them out ?
Old 04-02-2017, 02:24 AM   #283

Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Virginia
THOR #6054
Bought our 2017 30.2 Bunkhouse today

Spent 4 hours today going through the coach, and will have the official PDI on Friday. I was pleasantly surprised at the minor punch list issues they need to resolve.

I was also interested because I had seen some folks having complaints about the coach batteries being 'wet', but it certainly appeared to me that they were sealed batteries.

Looking forward to the road...
Old 04-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #284

THOR #3709
Digger42 Wet Batteries

Digger42 : Your coach is a year newer than mine. I think all the "newer" coach batteries are the sealed type. On my 2016, 30.2 I have to periodically check the water levels and add distilled water, which is somewhat of a pain. Therefore, I have the corrosion challenge to deal with. I purchased two of the vinyl battery boxes and plan on pulling them out then, sanding and painting the tray area with a rust proofer. After that dries, then I will coat the tray area with some of that spray on Rhino liner stuff. Finally, I will reinstall the batteries inside the vinyl boxes, but keep the tops off so that it is easy to check the water levels. When these coach batteries die, I am going with the sealed type.

One other minor issue….. Be sure that you run your shower and check for leaks. Mine came right from the factory without the inside of the shower stall being caulked around all the stall edges. First time that I ran water in the shower, it went everywhere as none of the side panels along the wall were caulked. 30 minutes and a $5.00 tube of caulk and the problem was solved. I told the dealer about it, but I did the caulk job myself as I am somewhat particular and I am also experienced in some home improvements. The dealer said what probably happened at the factory was someone yelled “lunchtime” and the worker simply forgot to caulk it. How it ever got passed the final inspections at both Thor and the dealer, well that is another story.

Other than these two minor deals, no real problems. We love ours and look forward to when we can fully retire and travel the US on “our time” Enjoy !
Old 04-02-2017, 09:52 PM   #285

THOR #6054
Sounds like a great solution for the batteries.

My shower stall was not caulked along the bottom either.....I put it on the punch list to have them fix before I pick it up.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:45 AM   #286

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
Talking

Mine wasn't sealed along the bottom of the shower wall either and when I mentioned it at PDI I was told they leave it that way from the factory so that when it gets wet it will dry easier! I wasn't satisfied with that answer and had the dealer seal it. I've only used the shower once in 19 mos - so not worried about it for now.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:57 AM   #287

THOR #6054
I was told the same thing today when I picked it up. The PDI guy told me there is a lip at the base of the shower basin that will prevent water from leaking out....we'll see.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:49 AM   #288

Model: 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Michigan
THOR #2780
Carl,

Again sorry for the delay and hopefully this information is useful to you.

The modifications we made include the following.

1. Removed the love seat and installed a wheelchair lift in that location. The lift we had installed is similar to the type you see on public buses or motor coaches for long distance traveling. Definitely heavy duty. The we sacrificed the outside TV in order to do this. The doors to the lift do have a window in each door.

2. We had the toilet relocated to the outside wall and the vanity removed so that there was a straight (well maybe straighter) path to the bed.

3. The shower was modified so that I could my shower chair entirely in it. Unfortunately my feet stick out past the shower floor so we have to put towels down on the floor when I take a shower. I'm not very happy with this modification and would like to redo it. When General RV did this modification they put in a separate tank to collect the shower water instead of letting it drain into the black tank as originally designed. Consequently we now have a drain line that is below the bottom of the unit and is visible. To this day I cannot understand why they did this.

We purchased a portable lift system so I can be put in bed. We were under the gun in trying to get these modifications done and did not explore if we could have had an overhead lift system installed or attached to the ceiling. I believe all we need to is contact Thor and see if the ceiling could handle such a system or would it need to be reinforced.

We now would like to remove the short wall that separates the bathroom from the bunk beds. General RV initially has told us that was a load bearing wall, but the more I look at it I doubt that it is. Contacting Thor on this will also be necessary.

Hope this information is helpful and not too late. Our more immediate item is replacing the Jensen radio since we can't get it to turn off like so many other people have experienced as well.

Thanks,

Scott
Modified w/ a wheelchair lift
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:38 AM   #289

State: Alabama
THOR #10208
Just curious why you would not have the windows to tented.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:43 PM   #290

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
2016 ACE 30.2 owners

Well that sucks. If it was mine and I was as unhappy as you seem to be I’d get it welded back together and trade it in on something different. But that’s just me. These things are supposed to be stress reducers and not stress producers. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:53 PM   #291

THOR #3709
Reply to ATVMX Dad

Hello ATVMX Dad : We purchased ours new in February 2016. It is a 2016 30.2. We are just weekenders as I have not fully retired yet. We have 14,000 miles on it..

In a quick summary I have had very little issues that I have not been able to handle myself. Silly things, like the fact that they did not caulk the inside of the shower stall. First time it was used, water was everywhere. We hated the uncomfortable Jackknife sofa and I replaced it with RecPro Theatre Seating style recliners. We had a great salesman and a dealership that went over the unit with a fine tooth comb, so I think that I had the limited number of issues. My next upgrade is the SafeTplus Steering stabilizer. Driving is not bad, but when it is windy and truck passes, you have to hold on to the steering wheel with both hands. The repair shop that I use for things that I can not do on my own; (As an example, I had them add a black tank flusher) They have told me that the SafeTPlus will make a good difference.

I am sorry to hear that you have had so many issues. I am glad that I have not anything like you have mentioned to deal with.

Steve
Old 05-07-2019, 12:02 AM   #292

THOR #15244
I would love to trade it in, but I'm sure we would get raped on that deal. Im still in pain from the first raping.

I really just wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue. I assume Thor knew it was a high stress area since there are 3 times as many bolts on the drivers side as there are on the passenger side. I'm guessing the slide out on that side takes a lot of the structural integrity from that side.

Of course after the first year, Thor doesn't want to hear from you about it either.

The auto leveling system tweaks these things so much, that even if you don't use it as much as we do, i will still add this to the list of things you guys check.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #293

Model: 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Michigan
THOR #2780
Wow! Did you have any work done on the suspension such as steering stabilizer, shocks, etc.? We are considering new shocks because of the beating the unit takes while driving. Ours is a 2014 with about 29,000 miles on it.

As for issues, here's a short list
- Hydraulic pump for leveling jacks, replaced covered under warranty
- Slide out of track or stuck, happens quite often
- Slide-out lower trim piece came unglued
- All storage door hinges replaced, doors sagging
- Wipers, fastener issue
- Had to cut a hole into seat back by the sink in order to access the hot water
by-pass valves
- Continuous toilet flushing issues, so much we keep a plumber's snake in
the shower
- Radio not turning off, not sure if this is taken care of, also reception is
terrible
- Missing a vent for the refrigerator
- Now paint finish issues which I'm going to do under a separate thread

These are the main ones or are ones we are constantly fighting. I would never buy one from Thor again. Just hoping to keep our losses to a minimum.
Modified w/ a wheelchair lift
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #294

Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
Well, ATVMX, just as a side note to your problems, I would like to let you know that you are not alone. But....It is not just the Thor products. I purchased a Georgetown a few years back and upon joining the Forest River Forum, the first thing that I pointed to was a thread about the side walls separating from the floor under the driver and passenger seats. Scared me to death!! I read about the problem and the fix. The first thing that I did was check mine and, lo and behold, almost half of the bolts were broken. The remaining bolts were still holding, but I jumped right in and installed all new hardened (Class 8 ?) bolts as well as added 50% more bolts. Just sold it 4 years later and it was still as solid as a rock! The truth be told as it has been many times on this forum and others; Your expectations should match the anticipated results of bouncing a 15,000 pound box and it's contents up and down the road day after day. The reality is that it is a miracle if you don't have problems!
Old 05-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #295

THOR #15244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Wow! Did you have any work done on the suspension such as steering stabilizer, shocks, etc.? We are considering new shocks because of the beating the unit takes while driving. Ours is a 2014 with about 29,000 miles on it.

As for issues, here's a short list
- Hydraulic pump for leveling jacks, replaced covered under warranty
- Slide out of track or stuck, happens quite often
- Slide-out lower trim piece came unglued
- All storage door hinges replaced, doors sagging
- Wipers, fastener issue
- Had to cut a hole into seat back by the sink in order to access the hot water
by-pass valves
- Continuous toilet flushing issues, so much we keep a plumber's snake in
the shower
- Radio not turning off, not sure if this is taken care of, also reception is
terrible
- Missing a vent for the refrigerator
- Now paint finish issues which I'm going to do under a separate thread

These are the main ones or are ones we are constantly fighting. I would never buy one from Thor again. Just hoping to keep our losses to a minimum.
The only thing i have done suspension wise is put sumo springs in the rear, and it made a huge difference in ride quality. Took a ton of sway out, and leveled the the coach.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:55 PM   #296

THOR #15244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
Well, ATVMX, just as a side note to your problems, I would like to let you know that you are not alone. But....It is not just the Thor products. I purchased a Georgetown a few years back and upon joining the Forest River Forum, the first thing that I pointed to was a thread about the side walls separating from the floor under the driver and passenger seats. Scared me to death!! I read about the problem and the fix. The first thing that I did was check mine and, lo and behold, almost half of the bolts were broken. The remaining bolts were still holding, but I jumped right in and installed all new hardened (Class 8 ?) bolts as well as added 50% more bolts. Just sold it 4 years later and it was still as solid as a rock! The truth be told as it has been many times on this forum and others; Your expectations should match the anticipated results of bouncing a 15,000 pound box and it's contents up and down the road day after day. The reality is that it is a miracle if you don't have problems!
I know, these things are all built like crap. Every size, brand, and price range is at the tracks we race at, and they are all junk. Lol
Old 11-15-2019, 04:30 PM   #297

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #16945
Storage box dimensions

Hello all. I'm new to your forum but have gained a lot of insight from it about the ACE 30 2. My wife are looking at purchasing one soon and I'm curious about the dimensions of the storage boxes. It looks like it has a lot of overall storage. I'm just wondering if my current set of totes that I use to keep things organized will fit.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:48 AM   #298

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #18516
30.2 owner

Hello to the Group. We purchased a 2017 30.2. Have our shakedown next week. Upgrading to Battle Born Lithium batteries. Glad to be a part of this group. Our previous unit was a Coachman 25ft class c. Trips with the grand kids in this 30.2 should be a lot of adventure.

Tags
2016, 30.2, ace 30.2, advice, thor ace