Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2016, 09:18 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Since we are on heater problems, I thought this would kinda fit in.
My heater/furnace problem was solved this morning by a service guy that has a mobile service and comes highly recommended in my area. FWIW, I thought I would post symptoms and solution for others who may have similar problem.

The furnace would not stay lit. By that, I mean it would fire for maybe 5-10 seconds sputter and then go out and the fan will keep running. Then it would fire again and maybe stay lit for as much as a minute then go out. The cycle would keep repeating without throwing any code leds.

Service guy went thru the controls and finally after half hour found wood chips in the blower causing intermittent combustion air. He cleaned those out and now is running fine. Kinda makes you wonder how wood chips would get into the blower.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
No wonder at all. In my 2014 Vegas, I had wood chips, sawdust, electrical connectors, pieces of wire, pipe, nails, screws - you name it. They were in the water tank compartment, behind the cabinets in the kitchen, everywhere.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:30 PM   #23

THOR #1249
Same here. I am finding chips etc. behind drawer, panels. First time in a blower though.
How is your 2016 on the finishing compared to your 2014? Any better attention to details etc.?
Old 03-16-2016, 02:54 AM   #24

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3591
Lots of dust

I have lots of chips and dust behind doors, cabinets, water heater access panel and under bed in back. EVERYWHERE...!!!
Old 03-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #25

THOR #1249
Sounds like it is still "out of sight, out of mind" operation with the chips.
BTW, here is the web site that has the RV service reviews in case someone needs it, or should I say when needed. It is RVServiceReviews.com. Proved out to be accurate in my area.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:57 PM   #26

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Right chopshop! Am I being simplistic? Or will any digital thermostat work that supports both heater and cooling? For instance, I found this one at Home Despot for $19. {"Home Despot" is intentional.}
Old 03-16-2016, 04:06 PM   #27

Model: 2016 hurricane 31s
THOR #3836
thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Right chopshop! Am I being simplistic? Or will any digital thermostat work that supports both heater and cooling? For instance, I found this one at Home Despot for $19. {"Home Despot" is intentional.}
check your owners manual for voltage rating, the one you are looking at is 24v. make sure it matches your rating. most thermostats range from 12 to 24 volts
Old 03-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #28

THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
check your owners manual for voltage rating, the one you are looking at is 24v. make sure it matches your rating. most thermostats range from 12 to 24 volts
Actually, this does not matter. As long as the thermostat has batteries to run the circuit, you are only switching the 12 or 24 volt circuits. And a circuit that can switch a 24v load can certainly switch a 12 volt load (amperage being equal).
Old 03-17-2016, 06:10 PM   #29

Model: 2016 hurricane 31s
THOR #3836
thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Actually, this does not matter. As long as the thermostat has batteries to run the circuit, you are only switching the 12 or 24 volt circuits. And a circuit that can switch a 24v load can certainly switch a 12 volt load (amperage being equal).
my understanding of the wiring diagram is the battery's you talk about
only run the thermostat memory. the house battery's run the the circuit. my diagram shows it is a 12v circuit, no transformer. you are right that a 12v thermostat should work . my last motorhome was a 110 transformer reduced to 12v circuit just like a house . that's why I always look twice at voltage ratting
Old 03-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #30

THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
my understanding of the wiring diagram is the battery's you talk about
only run the thermostat memory. the house battery's run the the circuit. my diagram shows it is a 12v circuit, no transformer. you are right that a 12v thermostat should work . my last motorhome was a 110 transformer reduced to 12v circuit just like a house . that's why I always look twice at voltage ratting
That is not what I am saying. The Hunter shown in the youtube video above is a 24V unit. Yet it works in the 12V motorhome application.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:41 PM   #31

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Thanks for the excellent post and YouTube link. You talked me into it. Unfortunately Hunter apparently does not make thermostats anymore but the Supco 43054 seems to be a clone of the Hunter in the YouTube. I've ordered one to put in my Axis. The ability to control the temperature fluctuations is reason enough.
I installed my new digital thermostat and it was super easy. The Hunter thermostat has the wires hard wired into the thermostat so I cut them off leaving several inches so that I could easily rewire it if I have a problem with the new one. All the wires were the same color code on the new one, so it was simple to connect the old wires to the posts in the thermostat. The only difference was I installed a small spdt switch to give both high and low fan speeds for the AC as discussed in the video. That was not difficult, but you need a soldering iron and steady hands to cut out the hole for the switch. You can actually leave the switch off and just connect the two fan wires to the green post in the thermostat. Then you will only have one fan speed. The instructions in the above video are excellent as well as other written instructions on the web.. Quick and easy and a significant improvement.

Ed.. Interestingly, I followed the wires back from the thermostat to where they were wired into the wires that went to the furnace, AC, power, etc.. Thor made no attempt to keep the same color wire. There is no way to tell at the furnace or the AC whether the correct wire has been run from the thermostat. The wiring issue is endemic and stupid. Thor obviously cannot spell "quality control". You cannot tell me it would cost more to buy five different color wire spools instead of 2 or 3 and do it right.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:30 AM   #32

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #1226
Heater won't stay lit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Since we are on heater problems, I thought this would kinda fit in.
My heater/furnace problem was solved this morning by a service guy that has a mobile service and comes highly recommended in my area. FWIW, I thought I would post symptoms and solution for others who may have similar problem.

The furnace would not stay lit. By that, I mean it would fire for maybe 5-10 seconds sputter and then go out and the fan will keep running. Then it would fire again and maybe stay lit for as much as a minute then go out. The cycle would keep repeating without throwing any code leds.

Service guy went thru the controls and finally after half hour found wood chips in the blower causing intermittent combustion air. He cleaned those out and now is running fine. Kinda makes you wonder how wood chips would get into the blower.
I had the same problem last week. We were at KQ Campground in Julian, California when the problem started. That day and night the heater would not stay lit and the same for the next day. Day three, the heater came on and has worked fine since. I hope the problem solved itself. It worked fine the year before.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:59 AM   #33

State: Alabama
THOR #3789
[QUOTE=dstankov;28591]My Challenger came equipped with 2 Coleman RV Comfort HC digital thermostats. The front one has settings for heat and AC while the read is AC only.

QUOTE]

We have the same as you and not a problem, except for the bedroom slide will cover the thermostat and cant change or shut it off until you get to where you are going and let the slide out. So on longer trips I have to just shut down the generator when its get to cool and then start it back up when ready again... one of these days I will just set it right so I don't have to mess with it. LOL...
Old 04-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #34

State: Alaska
THOR #3993
We just had the same problem with a brand new Miramar. The Camping World guys said it was that the ignitor just need to be closer to the flame... not sure if it is totally fixed or not. Guess I'll find out on the next trip.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:04 AM   #35

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
2016 Vegas Furnace Short Cycles

My last trip I was boondocking and found a problem...If I turn my heat on, the furnace will run a couple of minutes and then shut down before warming the rv. Increasing the temp lever doesn't make it come on. Switching off then right back on makes it come back on but it does the same thing. Any ideas of where to start looking? PS I use an electric heater when we have hookups so I dont know it it does same thing or not when on shore power...
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:32 AM   #36

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiglang1 View Post
I have a heater problem with my 2016 Axis. It will run for a couple of hours then usually around 9-10pm when it cut's off, it will not come back on until 10-11am in the morning. you can put the thermostat on 80 degrees and nothing happens. You can switch the fan motor from auto to on and nothing happens. This has happened every single night we have used the Attwood heater. Dealer cannot get it to act up. They have had the unit 31 days. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Your Axis doesn't have a Coleman-Mach thermostat?
Old 12-07-2017, 02:58 AM   #37

THOR #1765
For 2016 Vegas

BURNER IGNITES BUT IGNITION SYSTEM “LOCKS OUT” AND TURNS BURNER OFF

Low gas pressure --------------------------------Set pressure to a minimum of 11˝ W.C. with all appliances running. Replace regulator if not obtainable.*
Exhaust blocked ----------------------------------Clean exhaust.*
Combustion air wheel loose ------------------Reposition wheel and tighten Electrodes out of adjustment------------------Adjust electrode according to furnace specifications.
Electrode defective ------------------------------Replace electrode.
Circuit Board defective --------------------------Clean plug contacts. If still defective, replace. (Check on board tester when possible).
Flame sensor wire between electrode ------Replace wire and circuit board defective Air leakage at gaskets --------------------------Replace gasket
Defective heat exchanger ----------------------Replace heat exchanger

FURNACE -Electronic Ignition Model

Some of the troubleshooting guides in the Atwood furnace manual. Yours sounds like a circuit board issue. At least some place to start.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:03 AM   #38

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Your Axis doesn't have a Coleman-Mach thermostat?
Does the furnace operate normally for several hours and then quit? Does it heat up the RV and shut off and then turn on again when the RV cools down and run normally for several hours and then quit? If so it could be the thermostat or possibly the circuit board that runs the igniter.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:05 AM   #39

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3591
Never found out what the problem was. My dealer never could find the problem after 3 trips. The last couple of trips we took the heater worked just fine. They did tell me that if it happen again to take off the outside heater cover and look on the PC Board for a red LED error code. They said if they had the code they would know what was causing the problem and could fix it. I'm guessing my problem was with dust and debris that finally either blew away or burnt up.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #40

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiglang1 View Post
Never found out what the problem was. My dealer never could find the problem after 3 trips. The last couple of trips we took the heater worked just fine. They did tell me that if it happen again to take off the outside heater cover and look on the PC Board for a red LED error code. They said if they had the code they would know what was causing the problem and could fix it. I'm guessing my problem was with dust and debris that finally either blew away or burnt up.
Yes. That board seemed to have been the issue with several,of the problems associated with the furnace. Water getting onto the board was one. Dust and dirt could certainly be another.

Tags
axis 24.1, electronic spark, heater, thermostat