Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2021, 04:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #25433
Cool 2016 Vegas 24.1

Greetings ya'll.
I have a 2016 Vegas 24.1 and recently the bunk over cab started to grind the gears and track teeth. Took it to several dealers and was told that the whole system needs to be replaced - too much $$$. I took the matter in my own hands and it's not that of a complicated system. Once I removed the bed and exposed the tracks and motors, I'm able to replace the tracks myself and the 6 teeth gear attached to the motors. I was able to find the gears online (amazon), but not the tracks. Tracks are the same as upper tracks on the slide-out but shorter - 30 inches in length.
Has any Vegas owners experience the same issue and/or repaired the over cab bed system? Any advice/ideas are much appreciated

Old 11-23-2021, 04:23 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVegas View Post
Greetings ya'll.
I have a 2016 Vegas 24.1 and recently the bunk over cab started to grind the gears and track teeth. Took it to several dealers and was told that the whole system needs to be replaced - too much $$$. I took the matter on my own hands and it's not that of a complicated system. Once I removed the bed and exposed the tracks and motors, I'm able to replace the tracks myself and the 6 teeth gear attached to the motors. I was able to find the gears online (amazon), but not the tracks. Tracks are the same as upper tracks on the slide-out but shorter - 30 inches in length.
Has any Vegas owners experience the same issue and/or repaired the over cab bed system? Any advice/ideas are much appreciated
Posting my same reply here:

Call Thor to get a part number and with that call an RV dealer and order the parts.

When raising and lowering the bunk do you hold the switch down for 3-5 seconds after full up or down? That re-times the motors (should also do that for the slide).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:30 PM   #3

THOR #25433
I did go to camping world and took one of the tracks with me. Was told that Thor does not provide the tracks by itself - it comes with the whole system, minus the actual bed that sits on the frame
Old 11-23-2021, 04:36 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Worst case(and I wouldnt believe a thing cw says. Asking cw is NOT the same as calling Thor.) any cnc machine shop can cut them for maybe $100.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:40 PM   #5

THOR #25433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Worst case(and I wouldnt believe a thing cw says. Asking cw is NOT the same as calling Thor.) any cnc machine shop can cut them for maybe $100.
Yep - I agree! I'll call Thor myself even though CW said they called Thor. Also, I was wondering if I can get the slide-out tracks and cut them myself. eTrailer sells them as repair kit for slideout system
Old 11-23-2021, 04:50 PM   #6

THOR #25433
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Posting my same reply here:

Call Thor to get a part number and with that call an RV dealer and order the parts.

When raising and lowering the bunk do you hold the switch down for 3-5 seconds after full up or down? That re-times the motors (should also do that for the slide).
I always hold the switch down until it completely stops and levels the bed/slideout after full up and down. Could've been my kids that messed it up
Old 11-23-2021, 05:08 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
I always hold the switch down until it completely stops and levels the bed/slideout after full up and down. Could've been my kids that messed it up
Yeah the instructions from Schwintek are to hold it down for 3-5 seconds after it stops (for both bunk & slide).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 05:13 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
I did go to camping world and took one of the tracks with me. Was told that Thor does not provide the tracks by itself - it comes with the whole system, minus the actual bed that sits on the frame
If you ask them to order a replacement tail light lens they'd tell you that you have to order the whole motorhome it's attached to...
Old 11-23-2021, 05:27 PM   #9

THOR #25433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
If you ask them to order a replacement tail light lens they'd tell you that you have to order the whole motorhome it's attached to...
True - Can't blame them. They are in money making business!
Old 12-06-2021, 09:34 PM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #19360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yeah the instructions from Schwintek are to hold it down for 3-5 seconds after it stops (for both bunk & slide).
I have a Vegas 25.5. Thanks for advice, I may have to use someday.

Alajeu