Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2016, 02:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Ceiling A/C ducts on AXIS\VEGAS

Does anyone else have lower airflow on the driver's side ceiling ducts than on the passenger's side?

The difference in airflow is noticeable in the front as well as the back.

In fact, we can not really tell a difference with the two main A/C vents on the actual units closed or open on the air flow from the ducts.

Just wondered if we were "unique" in this

Old 08-04-2016, 03:33 AM   #2

Model: 2016 Vegas 24.1 on E450
State: Tennessee
THOR #2361
Mine seem to be about the same.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Ours are all about the same. The ducts are simply channeled out of the foam insulation in the roof; it is possible that your left side isn't as cutout or has some debris in it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:04 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
I had the problem of no air flow on Drivers side AC vents in 2017 Axis 24.1. Took to my dealer and was a 10 minute fix under warranty. I think they added some kind of tape adhesive that channeled the air correctly in the AC unit.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:27 AM   #5

THOR #4687
Yeah, guess it is time for a dealer visit.

I was kind of hoping that the low air flow would be common on the AXIS\VEGAS, just so I wouldn't have to return to the dealer, but guess that keeping cool is better than sweltering.

When we first looked at the coach, the drivers side had no air flow, the dealer fixed it before we even would take it for a test drive. But now it seems that the air flow has dwindled again.

Thanks for all your input. It is definitely appreciated
Old 08-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
I am not very handy so I was going to dealer for a couple of small things. I watched the AC repair. He took the cover down and added It looked like tape but was some kind of material, not sure. If you are handy you might be able to figure it out or a call to Thor or dealer might help if you have the same problem I had. It was a 5 minute fix after the AC cover inside the RV was t.aken off.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:51 AM   #7

State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
A/C airflow problem 2017 Vegas 25.2

Had exact same problem with my new 2017 Vegas 25.2. Thirty minute fix at dealership. Apparently the taping and sealing around the air diverter came loose on the drivers side which resulted in no a/c air flow on that side.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:30 AM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
The ceiling vents in your axis/vegas are not unique. The industry does everything pretty much the same. Flow is not distributed evenly.

Here's the deal and the fix.

Remove the vents. If you will notice, the vents protrude into the vent more than the thickness of the vent opening . Cut the circular vent bottom so that it is flush with the inside bottom of the vent duct. You can do this by cutting the vent with a razor knife or blade.

Reinstall and enjoy your new air flow.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #9

THOR #4687
Found the fix!

Found the installation manual for the Coleman Mach and the ChillGrill online. After leshunter describing what the dealer had done, kinda determined the culprit was the "duct diverter"

After removing the grill we saw the duct diverter was at an angle and actually splitting the entry to the driver side duct between the cold air and the air return. Good reason we weren't getting good air flow from that side.

We straightened the duct diverter, placed it where it was actually separating the ducts and the return air. Then we used duck tape to help block more air and to secure the duct diverter in place.

It is like a whole new unit now. We are getting good airflow from both sides and the bedroom is now actually cool. It now makes a difference when you close the vents on the actual unit. More air now flows through the ceiling ducts, where before it really didn't make any difference at all..

BIG IMPROVEMENT. Thanks for all your information on this (and the fact I didn't have to go back to the dealer)
Old 10-09-2017, 01:43 AM   #10

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
State: Texas
THOR #4181
Axis air Duct Diverter - low air on driver's side

We had the same problem develop after using the AC for a while in our 2017 Axis 25.2. Thanks to reading instructions and insights on this set of posts we took down the 2 covers carefully and fixed the Duct Diverter which had become loose and at an angle mixing cold air with return intake air. Gorilla tape works well. Could have placed a little more tape on the passenger side duct only at that time to attempt to drive more to the drivers side. However, we found that after reassembling we could "tune" the various ducts to get good flow in the bathroom and all 3 bedroom vents. Didn't take too long and definitely a no-dealer involved fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fix Duct - 001.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	7289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fix Duct - 002.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	7290  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fix Duct - 003.jpg