Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2016, 02:05 AM   #21
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
I'm not sure if a question on this forum regarding another unit is appropriate, but i am wondering if anyone has had experience with the Coachman Freelander coaches. Or has an opinion on them if you have. It's a Class C or course, but i'm curious if someone has an opinion since i know most of you are experienced owners of all kinds of motorhomes. thanks.
Our first motorhome was a Coachmen Class B.. it did not have the cabover .. nor did our 2nd motorhome which was a Dorado. B+ .. just two of us, so no needed sleeping for kids. We loved our Coachmen and the Dorado. But Ron wanted a Toyhauler..
Having tried a Toyhauler for a year, we opted to return to a motorhome, bringing us to our 2016 Axis 24.1. Ron made the comment, today, it is so nice to be able to look down from the drivers seat and literally see what is directly in front of you. That is one aspect of this 'Mini" Class A motorhome...we love the twin beds in back...if we do have any of the grand kids as guests..the overhead bed above the cockpit drops down.
The purpose of my telling you this .. is to call to your attention how many options are out there...Do you like Ford Chassis/motors or Chevy Chassis/motors...gas/diesel...if you buy used, check all details..how well was it cared for? New...be picky ... I could go on and on ..
one thing for sure, this forum has so many great people involved and all are willing to answer any questions you might have..and we all have opinions. HAVE FUN making your decision

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:43 AM   #22

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
After 2 Days of dry camping and 3 days in a local campground, I can say that I am thrilled still with our 2017 Axis 24.1. Being new at this, I can not say enough good things about my local dealer, Tri-County Trailer Sales in Mossville, IL, near Peoria, IL.
I spent 3.5 hours on the walk- thru to understand how everything works. Nothing was discovered that needed any work and after almost a week the same holds true. Everything works and I have not found anything out of order.
While I am sure that I will eventually have some challenges, I believe that the dealer prep is an important key. Mine had my Axis for almost a week and the delivery and initial experience has been excellent.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:51 AM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunter View Post
After 2 Days of dry camping and 3 days in a local campground, I can say that I am thrilled still with our 2017 Axis 24.1. Being new at this, I can not say enough good things about my local dealer, Tri-County Trailer Sales in Mossville, IL, near Peoria, IL.
I spent 3.5 hours on the walk- thru to understand how everything works. Nothing was discovered that needed any work and after almost a week the same holds true. Everything works and I have not found anything out of order.
While I am sure that I will eventually have some challenges, I believe that the dealer prep is an important key. Mine had my Axis for almost a week and the delivery and initial experience has been excellent.
Since you are new at this, let me ask you this: would you be comfortable living in this motorhome for 5 months or longer during the winter months in a southern location of your choice. I am a single person looking for a way to enjoy the winter's south but without renting an apartment in the expensive areas. I wish to travel and enjoy seeing the scenery, but i'm not really a camper per se. If you know what i'm saying. Was a Boy Scout and hated camping!. lol You opinion please: is 25 feet big enough for comfort in the Axis semi full time. Dave
Old 04-19-2016, 02:58 AM   #24

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Our first motorhome was a Coachmen Class B.. it did not have the cabover .. nor did our 2nd motorhome which was a Dorado. B+ .. just two of us, so no needed sleeping for kids. We loved our Coachmen and the Dorado. But Ron wanted a Toyhauler..
Having tried a Toyhauler for a year, we opted to return to a motorhome, bringing us to our 2016 Axis 24.1. Ron made the comment, today, it is so nice to be able to look down from the drivers seat and literally see what is directly in front of you. That is one aspect of this 'Mini" Class A motorhome...we love the twin beds in back...if we do have any of the grand kids as guests..the overhead bed above the cockpit drops down.
The purpose of my telling you this .. is to call to your attention how many options are out there...Do you like Ford Chassis/motors or Chevy Chassis/motors...gas/diesel...if you buy used, check all details..how well was it cared for? New...be picky ... I could go on and on ..
one thing for sure, this forum has so many great people involved and all are willing to answer any questions you might have..and we all have opinions. HAVE FUN making your decision
Since you're from Kansas, may i ask where you bought your Axis. I'm out in Grand Junction Colorado area, and have been talking with Total Value RV, but i'm a little concerned with some of their business practices even though their reputation was good. Also, I'm wanting to know the prices being charged if you can divulge it. I'm interested in the 24.1 as well. Dave
Old 04-19-2016, 03:15 AM   #25
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Since you're from Kansas, may i ask where you bought your Axis. I'm out in Grand Junction Colorado area, and have been talking with Total Value RV, but i'm a little concerned with some of their business practices even though their reputation was good. Also, I'm wanting to know the prices being charged if you can divulge it. I'm interested in the 24.1 as well. Dave
We purchased our Axis from Camping World in Grain Valley, MO .. an eastern suburb of Kansas City. I see there is a Camping World in Boulder and Colo Springs. A dealership is only as good as those running/working it.

We purchased our Axis during the annual RV Trade Show in Kansas City..generally speaking, there are promos available which affect the price during the shows. Go to RV Trader and search 2016 Axis and you will find, nationwide what prices are running. ... or Camping World in Colorado ...
I see you are in Grand Junction...I believe there is a CW in Salt Lake City..another possibility, if you don't want to deal in Denver area...is Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Good luck on your search....we have not been on an extended trip..3 short overnite so far...love this coach !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-19-2016, 03:21 AM   #26

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
We purchased our Axis from Camping World in Grain Valley, MO .. an eastern suburb of Kansas City. I see there is a Camping World in Boulder and Colo Springs. A dealership is only as good as those running/working it.

We purchased our Axis during the annual RV Trade Show in Kansas City..generally speaking, there are promos available which affect the price during the shows. Go to RV Trader and search 2016 Axis and you will find, nationwide what prices are running. ... or Camping World in Colorado ...
I see you are in Grand Junction...I believe there is a CW in Salt Lake City..another possibility, if you don't want to deal in Denver area...is Casper, Wyoming.

Good luck on your search....we have not been on an extended trip..3 short overnite so far...love this coach !
wouldn't deal with CW if they gave it to me. But i appreciate the info.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #27

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Dave -- I wouldn't hesitate to stay for extended time in my Vegas 24.1. My wife & I love the floorplan and layout. We find the twin beds really comfortable. We do not use the living g room table, only the small one between the captain chairs. The 15K a/c will freeze you out even in FL. Great storage space.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #28
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I'm not sure if a question on this forum regarding another unit is appropriate, but i am wondering if anyone has had experience with the Coachman Freelander coaches. Or has an opinion on them if you have. It's a Class C or course, but i'm curious if someone has an opinion since i know most of you are experienced owners of all kinds of motorhomes. thanks.
Coachmen is an operating unit of Forest River. Due to their poor quality and lack of customer service I would never consider owning another Forest River product. Before considering you might want to read then and then ask if their methods have changed.

Forest River RV agrees to $35 million settlement with federal regulators over safety, recall reporting - Elkhart Truth

Coachmen > Forest River > Berkshire Hathoway > Warren Buffet - where do you think their loyalties lie. Hint: it is not with the consumer.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #29

THOR #3306
Quote:
Jack is great! We got our 24.1 from Tri-County too. We are in Normal, IL.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #30
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Coachmen is an operating unit of Forest River. Due to their poor quality and lack of customer service I would never consider owning another Forest River product. Before considering you might want to read then and then ask if their methods have changed.

Forest River RV agrees to $35 million settlement with federal regulators over safety, recall reporting - Elkhart Truth

Coachmen > Forest River > Berkshire Hathoway > Warren Buffet - where do you think their loyalties lie. Hint: it is not with the consumer.

You are 'right on'
... our first motorhome was a 1999 Coachmen Starflyte...before Berkshire Hathoway buyout...It was a well built great running Class B. We put many enjoyable miles on it.
It is a shame that these great companies get eaten up by HUGE comglomerates...and away goes the personal touch the consumer enjoys and appreciates, and we presume we are paying for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fulltime Mechanic.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1808
Ha ! ... saw this sign at Hobby Lobby yesterday...Ron wouldn't let me buy it as he didn't want it hanging in the window of our coach...he has enough to do as it is !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-19-2016, 02:51 PM   #31

THOR #3027
Would love to hear of any RV parks in IL you would recommend? Thanks. We live in Galesburg.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #32

THOR #3027
Yes In my opinion the 24.1 is very comfortable for extended stays. I plan for a FL trip next winter. I am not a traditional camper but rather a tailgater and will look for RV parks with some amenitites. I am 6.3", 250 lbs and have not used the shower yet. I know it will be small but workable on occasion. With the slide extended the living room is large enough for my wife to lay on the couch and for me to recline on a 0 gravity chair. The storage space seems more than adequate. I did have an Inverter installed so as to be able to use 2 TV's and 1 outlet when dry camping without using my generator. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #33

Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3973
2017 Thor Vegas Changes

We placed our 2017 Vegas order as of last week.

Some noted changes for the 2017 model include:
  • Swivel mount for the exterior TV
  • Standard mattress in couch instead of air mattress
  • Linoleum in the cockpit instead of carpeting
  • Rain vents over the interior fans
  • Oval shaped table between cockpit chairs
  • LED overhead bedroom reading lights
  • LED entry step light
  • 3 part hinge on side-swinging exterior cargo doors
  • Brazilian Cherry interior wood color
  • Diamond Back interior color
  • Several of the optional items are now standard (12V attic fan, 2nd house battery, exterior and bedroom television)

We take delivery in 8 to 12 weeks. This is our first motor home, but we hope our many hours of research allowed us to make a good choice.

We look forward to participating in this forum.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:27 PM   #34
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolandd
Standard mattress in couch instead of air mattress
This has to be a huge improvement over the air mattress one. Does the mattress fold up with the couch or do you have to store it somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolandd
LED overhead bedroom reading lights
A small item; ours has reading lights in the bedroom but I don't remember if they are LEDs or not.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #35
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
This has to be a huge improvement over the air mattress one. Does the mattress fold up with the couch or do you have to store it somewhere?

A small item; ours has reading lights in the bedroom but I don't remember if they are LEDs or not.

Our late model 2016 has, standard.. led lights over the beds...
3 TV's (no swing arm on exterior tv..we don't watch tv outside anyway)
our couch/hide a bed has the air mattress (so happy we don't have to sleep in that hide a bed !!) We stowed away the air mattress !
We had hide a bed w/mattress as our primary bed in our Dorado .. ugh !
most of those items are on our coach..

the one significant change is going to vinyl in the cockpit !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #36
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb
We stowed away the air mattress
We only bring the air mattress for the hide a bed along when we know we are going to use it (so far...only once). Otherwise it stays in the stick & brick basement.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #37

THOR #3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

The mattress folds up with the bed. The 2016 at our dealer did not have the LED reading lights in the bedroom. They were very hot to the touch!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:28 PM   #38

Model: 2016 hurricane 31s
State: Florida
THOR #3836
alignment

if I were you I would not sign the papers until they align the front end. don't let them give you any bullshit about it has to be loaded first, yes loading does make a difference but my axis was off over 2 degrees on caster alone with no weight in it. make sure you get the alignment machine read out. I had to get mine aligned at a truck shop and thor reimbursed me to the tune of 265.00 and it took 2 mouths to get it.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:02 PM   #39

THOR #3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
if I were you I would not sign the papers until they align the front end. don't let them give you any bullshit about it has to be loaded first, yes loading does make a difference but my axis was off over 2 degrees on caster alone with no weight in it. make sure you get the alignment machine read out. I had to get mine aligned at a truck shop and thor reimbursed me to the tune of 265.00 and it took 2 mouths to get it.
Thanks Chopshop. We already have the alignment included. As I stated, we've done a great deal of research before deciding on the Vegas and spent many hours reading through the forum threads.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:06 AM   #40

THOR #1067
Quote:
My new Axis 24.1 has arrived and was delighted it is a 2017 model Axis on a 2016 Chasis. A couple of changes but I like. I will be taking delivery in a week.
May i ask what the new changes are? The reason i ask is that Total Value says they are over stocked on 24.1 2016 units and they will sell for $66.900 but that the 2017 units will sell for lots more. I'd like to know that the "Lots More " is. Appreciate it. And if you'd like to tell me I would like to know how much you paid and where it was. This RV business is like used cars business. If you shop around enough you can save tens of thousands of dollars evidently. Thanks.