Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2016, 04:27 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Utah
THOR #3734
Width specs incorrect.

We recently bought a 29.3 Thor ACE. The specifications found here: https://thormotorcoach.com/ace/specs/ say 99". However, yesterday I measured and 99" is the width not including tailpipe, steps, and mirrors.

It seems odd to me that your public specs don't match the final construction. When I bought this unit I asked specifically about the width. Were we typically camp has a narrow bridge that has 103" width. The tailpipe hangs out about 3.5" and the step hangs out about 1".

Now I find myself cutting the tailpipe and putting on a removable tip. This makes me worried that the 12'2" height is also inaccurate. Has anyone actually measured their height to verify it is correct?

Old 06-21-2016, 08:57 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 40RX
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1567
Width is always for the widest measurement of the body...doesn't matter if it is a car, truck, bus or RV. Mirrors are subject to adjustment and depending on said adjustment, could change the measurement by a foot or more, hence the universal use of body width. The exhaust pipe's length of projection is also variable, so, it isn't included in anyone's specification listings either. The exhaust system is done by the chassis builder and is "standardized" for that chassis, it is the coach builder that determines how wide a box goes on the chassis and the width of whatever box is set on it, whatever is left over is the projection and is not included in the specification of the vehicle, either in width or length if a rear outlet is used. My DP is 41' 11" in the specs, but, that doesn't include the projection of my exhaust or ladder.

Height is given for the vehicle as built with standard equipment, at proper ride height on the tire it came with. Any changes to that equipment, either be it larger tires or rooftop equipment will change those measurements from the stated specifications. If standard equipment is a standard A/C unit and you elect to have an optional heat pump installed, then the original spec will be wrong for height since most heat pump units are taller to accommodate the dual purpose heat exchanger.

It falls upon the purchaser to make sure that if inches count, that the actual vehicle be measured in the critical dimensions. Coach vehicle builders (actually all vehicle maker's) also include, in fine print "specifications may be changed without notice" to allow for in-model year changes, further putting the onus of checking before buying squarely on the purchaser.

2014 Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I'd say the published height is reasonable.

I measured mine a while back, approx 10ft-8in tall, to the top of the AC shroud (highest point with antennna down)
with a published height of 10ft-10in

I say approx since even just a wee bit of slope in my very flat and level driveway might have thrown things off a bit (it is sloped just a bit for the water to run away from the garage)
I used a laser level on top of the AC and shot a point over to the house and measured down.
and checked by measuring the side wall and adding the AC above the roof surface....
so I feel pretty good about my number

I didn't measure the width though
....maybe I should!