Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2017, 01:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation SR Sprinter
State: Iowa
THOR #7596
2017 Thor Sprinter Citation

Purchased my 2017 Thor RV from La Mesa RV in Mesa AZ. No issues with the purchase or delivery. Great to deal with. Now after driving almost 12,000 miles across the USA and Canada within the past 6 months for whatever reason I have had NO issues. Nothing quit working. Generator, slides, water system, drain system, refrigerator, ac, furnace, etc. Zero problems. The MB chassis and diesel performed well. Easy to drive. No problems meeting trucks or wind blowing me around. No trouble getting diesel fuel anywhere. No trouble adding DEF when needed. Great to drive on all the road/traffic conditions I encountered. I have owned Class A, Class C and also Class B RVs over the past years. This is the first Thor brand I have owned. Visited the Thor factory in Elkhart and met some nice people while taking the tour.

With all the problems/issues some folks are having I just wanted to let people know that Thor does make some good units. (At least in my case).

Old 09-14-2017, 04:49 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #8920
Awesome to Hear that!! I am about to purchase mine from La Mesa in Sacramento,CA. a few more things I need to take care before the purchase but from what you said, makes me feel a bit better about buying from them. Thanks for the Post.!!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #3

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Great to hear the good things. Thanks!
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #4

THOR #6598
Quote:
Originally Posted by montag View Post
Purchased my 2017 Thor RV from La Mesa RV in Mesa AZ. No issues with the purchase or delivery. Great to deal with. Now after driving almost 12,000 miles across the USA and Canada within the past 6 months for whatever reason I have had NO issues. Nothing quit working. Generator, slides, water system, drain system, refrigerator, ac, furnace, etc. Zero problems. The MB chassis and diesel performed well. Easy to drive. No problems meeting trucks or wind blowing me around. No trouble getting diesel fuel anywhere. No trouble adding DEF when needed. Great to drive on all the road/traffic conditions I encountered. I have owned Class A, Class C and also Class B RVs over the past years. This is the first Thor brand I have owned. Visited the Thor factory in Elkhart and met some nice people while taking the tour.

With all the problems/issues some folks are having I just wanted to let people know that Thor does make some good units. (At least in my case).
So glad to hear, as I'm awaiting delivery of my 2018 Class C Quantum PD31 to La Mesa in San Diego. Hope it goes as well as yours!
Old 09-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That is OUtstanding!.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	That is OUtstanding!.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	6897  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:49 PM   #6

THOR #7596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Kieffer View Post
So glad to hear, as I'm awaiting delivery of my 2018 Class C Quantum PD31 to La Mesa in San Diego. Hope it goes as well as yours!
Awesome! Good luck with your new unit and happy camping!
Old 09-18-2017, 03:11 AM   #7

THOR #8416
Citation

We've switched from wanting a Windsport to the citation. Easier drive, diesel, no need to tow a car. What model did you buy?
Old 09-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #8

THOR #7596
We purchased the 24SR. Really like it.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:20 PM   #9
DTB

Model: Citation Sprinter
State: Utah
THOR #6977
We too have purchased a 2017 Citation Sprinter. And while it has not been totally trouble free it has been a joy to own over the last four months. The refrigerator did not work and was replaced by the dealer under warranty. The new fridge works like a dream. A couple of fit and finish issues, mostly corrected by the dealer. I was not a fan of the water/sewer compartment so I made a couple of modifications to it. For some reason the generator kept shutting down the second time we used it. Since I didn't really trust the dealership to fix it, I fixed it myself. Turned out that the house batteries had vibrated to the point that they were not making consistent contact. A wrench solved that problem and now the generator works like a dream. Our model did not come with tank warmers yet as I crawled under the coach I found that there IS a tank heater pad on the black tank, and it seems to be wired up. I need to do some additional checking into the heating pad issue. So far so good. We owned a Class B Winnebago before the Thor. Sure do like the additional room.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:31 PM   #10

THOR #8416
Citation excitement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montag View Post

So happy to hear your story. I daily look for Citation 24ss for sale. Can’t wait to start our next chapter of Motorhoming.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #11

Model: Citation SS24
THOR #12606
I am so happy to find someone out there that’s had a good experience I’ve got a deposit on a 24 SS 2018 at La Mesa as well in Sanford Florida and I’ve been debating whether I should just forfeit my deposit and go look for a Winnebago but believe that I could probably handle most issues I am a newbie anybody else up there having a good Lucky experience ?

I’m going in this as a newbie my parents did this for years I was never interested was too busy trying to make a living. Now my wife and I would like to travel and see some of the country and this seems like the best way to do it.

“to make the story short, too late!”

I know there’s going to be problems, salesman told me there will be problems with any motor home you are q.c. And beta tester and that they would help me get through it. I’m just checking out there to see if they’ve actually done that for other people I’m seeing both sides of the coin and realize usually that complaints are shared and used more than compliments when reviewing the product of such a great expense. As they say the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I have my walk-through scheduled in 2 weeks from now. But after reading some of the posts out there about Thor in general I do have some concerns. Thanks
Old 08-03-2018, 08:22 PM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Love My Thor...zero issues! I have an older friend who's looking at Sprinter chassis RV's. she was stuck on Coach House. I told her to look at the Citation before making the call. I'll share this review with her. The Coach House is nearly as much as we paid for the Super C...seems high priced but it is top of the line for a Sprinter model.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:23 PM   #13
DTB

THOR #6977
Well, just a short follow up. Still have and enjoy our Sprinter-based Thor Citation 24SS. I was incorrect about fixing the generator, would now seem that the converter sometimes works and sometimes does not, so we don't really trust that the generator is "fixed". Lately it has been great, but the trust is just not there . . really no problem because we had a 2000 watt inverter installed and we can run the coffee maker without the generator. Screen door rattles a bit while driving and the awning needs to be adjusted because the front arm is about 1/2 inch from being fully retracted. The awning is no problem when driving, it's just something that needs to be fixed eventually. Enjoy the coach very much. Have done some minor upgrades on this and that. Being retired I enjoy the challenge and the work. Mercedes Sprinter is great, Thor is just as good as my Winnebago. Checked out a Tiffin Wayfarer at an FMCA Convention in Wyoming, for the price point I'll stick with Thor.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:22 PM   #14

THOR #7596
22,000 awesome miles

2017 Thor Citation SR. Just returned from a 9600 mile Alaska Trip. Now have 22,000 miles on unit.
Have had no issues with the MB or the coach. Drives great. No trouble getting diesel. Change oil and fuel filters myself. $104.00 for oil and filter. $70.00 for fuel filter. Lots cheaper than taking it to dealer.
LaMesa RV in Mesa AZ was great to deal with. May have been lucky but have had zero problems. I have owned several classA, C and B RVs so made certain unit was perfect before signing papers. Make sure you use/try all systems before leaving dealer. Make certain you know how to use all the systems, slideouts, EVERYTHING!!
You should spend at least a day looking and checking the unit out. Have the dealer go thru everything with you then have him leave and do it on your own until you are able to use everything. Don’t just go thru the motions, run/use EVERYTHING. Make a list of things you need help with. Actually use the RV as if you are setting up in a campground. Hook up to city water. Hook up sewer. Hook up to electricity ( you get the idea). WRITE THE CHECK BUT DO NOT SIGN IT UNTIL YOU ARE SURE UNIT IS PERFECT!! Good Luck!
Old 12-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #15

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
2018 24SR here and zero issues. Happy for the most part. hate the radio but that easy.

Have you guys upgraded your coach batteries yet? Contemplating what to do, they seem to discharge when sitting to quick.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:59 PM   #16
DTB

THOR #6977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
2018 24SR here and zero issues. Happy for the most part. hate the radio but that easy
Yes, I would agree with you about the radio
Old 12-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #17

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Great to hear a positive report. We’ve had our 24FE since end of June and put over 5,000 miles on her. No serious problems
Old 12-24-2018, 02:45 AM   #18

Model: Chateau 24FS
State: New Mexico
THOR #12181
2018 Thor Chateau 24FS, A dozen nights boon docking and 4k miles. Been awesome so far. No problems to speak of.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:27 PM   #19

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Some would get all excited to hear Thor finally put a good unit on the ground. Fact is, the overwhelming, vast majority of owners have had great experiences and are very pleased with Thor products. If you've done a factor tour you've seen why. If yo haven't, it's well worth your time. The very few unhappy (for whatever reason-some being their own fault) seem to make a lifestyle of raving and ranting on every soapbox or ear they can find. I've had a few issues but nothing outside of normal for most products we buy and I'd do the same thing over again. We are really pleased with the quality and thought process.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:30 AM   #20

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #12809
We bought our 2018 Thor Sprinter Citation 24SS from MHSRV in late August. We initially had a problem with the touch screen that eventually was replaced under warranty. The problems we were experiencing were a result of our touch screen was the old version. As stated earlier in this thread, I wasn't satisfied with the water sewer compartment and made some modifications to add an adjustable water pressure valve and to be able to connect the water source through the bottom of the compartment. I also see a lot of owners complain about the tankless water heater. Once I read the advice through this forum and installed the adjustable valve, I have had virtually zero problems. I am very satisfied with the Sprinter chassis. Easy to drive. Easy on fuel. Good power. Great looks. In my humble opinion. Overall....I am satisfied with our Thor purchase. My wish list includes a keyless entry pad and a leveling system.