Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2020, 02:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Colorado
THOR #19409
2018 ACE 30.2 Electrical

Hi, all. Total beginner with our rig. We purchased summer of 2018 and only used 203 times due to moves and relocation. I'm finally settled and will be loading these forums up with some questions. I'll try to search first but I saw a bunch of posts on electrical and just want to ask again:

1) When on shore power - do the house batteries charge? Do I have to have the main power switch on for it to do so?

2) On shore power, inverter on - fridge works. It's a residential-only unit so I know I have to use the inverter. Question, when on shore power, is it still drawing from the house batteries and, if so, I guess my first question comes into play- are the batteries charging enough to offset the draw?

3) Same questions with genny on?

4) Is there an easy gadget or add-on to help see the charge of the house batteries?

Appreciate the patience as I post these and promise to be a good learner. The walk through when I purchased it wasn't the best.

Thanks!!

Old 06-29-2020, 03:51 PM   #2

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
1) When on shore power - do the house batteries charge? yesDo I have to have the main power switch on for it to do so?yes

2) On shore power, inverter on - fridge works. It's a residential-only unit so I know I have to use the inverter. Question, when on shore power, is it still drawing from the house batteries yes, if so, I guess my first question comes into play- are the batteries charging enough to offset the draw?yes

3) Same questions with genny on?yes

4) Is there an easy gadget or add-on to help see the charge of the house batteries?
https://r-notracking.onesearch.com/_...4uXkSDOKaXEyk-
Old 06-29-2020, 04:35 PM   #3

THOR #19409
Thanks for the info - that's great. I love the battery monitor as well and starting to read on that.

I'm still a bit perplexed on the house batteries. I have the rig at my house and it's plugged into 20A circuit. Before I turned in last night, the control panel showed house batts at 3/4 but this morning they are at 1/2. I had the Store/In Use switch set to In Use but nothing else was running. Inverter was off.

Even at 20A I would have thought the house batts would have charged some or at least maintained?

Appreciate the help on this. My travel trailer had less moving pieces.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:04 PM   #4

Model: ace 27.2
State: New York
THOR #9334
battery drain

2017 ace 27.2
3 electrical questions.
Left my mh at a service shop. It sat for 4 days. Nothing was left on.Not plugged in. Both house batteries dead as well as starting battery. Jumped, charged fine w/ generator. charges fine with shore power. 1.Noticed that battery disconnect does NOTHING. everything works the same either position. run or store. Wired wrong from factory or failed part?
2. What should I look for as far as why drawing current while nothing is on?
3. Also , is the wiring correct that the start battery would also be drawn down?
thank you
Old 07-02-2020, 05:34 AM   #5

THOR #19409
Had rig out for first time this summer and started going through electrical systems because this was annoying the heck out of me. Plugged into 50a shore power and watched batteries slowly draining. I took a look at our fuse panel and everything looked good. So I then took out the power command center and looked at the power converter. First thing I noticed was the fan was not running on the converter even though I know I had some 12v draw on it. I then pulled the 12v fuses on it and boom, they were both blown. Replaced them and now see almost 14v going to house Batts.

Thanks for initial answers and hopefully this helps someone else!