Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2018, 03:54 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #12186
2018 Thor Freedom Elite 30FE Slide Out Leak

Bought it end of last summer and only used it a handful of times. Parked it outside in a storage facility over the winter and found water had leaked in from the underside of a slide out. Took it into Camping World where we bought it and they filed a claim with Thor, it had some other issues to fix as well under warranty.

Everything was covered per Camping World service advisor, however they were not able to complete repairs by my needed date so they only fixed the leaks and said to bring it back when i was done using it for the weekend trip.

I found that weekend that the leaks were not fixed and it was still leaking, when i informed Camping World,they filed another claim with Thor and Thor declined it saying I was past my 90 day warranty. I called Thor and asked why this wasn't a continuation of the first claim that they said they would cover? They said Camping World did not explain it that way and it appeared to be a new claim. I proceeded to call my service advisor at Camping World and tell her what the Thor rep told me, 2 weeks later I get an update from CW saying Thor still has declined to fix the water leak.
My extended warranty I purchased doesn't cover the leak either.
I am ready to lawyer up if i have to but do i have a leg to stand on?

Old 07-03-2018, 06:16 AM   #2

THOR #6433
Sorry to hear about your leak problems it seems like the CW way to not fix things. I have had leaky roof that has spent more time at CW then in my driveway. I would try reaching back out to Thor and see what they suggest. Maybe they can recommend a different service center. If you are trying to get an attorney then someone in the lemon law/ consumer protection or contract law. Good luck, I haven’t gotten an attorney yet more because I just want my coach fixed and I want that to be the absolute last choice
Old 07-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Exhaust all efforts b4 going the lawyer route. Once you mention that word, you're on your own. No one at Thor or CW will even talk to you, period.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:19 PM   #4

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Exhaust all efforts b4 going the lawyer route. Once you mention that word, you're on your own. No one at Thor or CW will even talk to you, period.
That’s my biggest worry and everyone talks so even if it’s just CW you sue the other repair facilities in your area might find out and just say it’s not worth working with you and not even take your business.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Water leaks generally are not terribly difficult to locate and fix. If you primarily are interested in fixing the problem and enjoying your machine you probably should fix it yourself or find an independent repair shop (ie someone whose business is fixing RVs not selling them). If you are mostly just mad at Thor and CW for being who they are then an attorney might be necessary.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #6

THOR #11130
Retired now but in my working life and owning several companies, if someone ever mentioned the lawyer...I told them to get in line...and I hung up the phone. I never had any other conversations with them...never got sued either. It's a quick "out" for a company you may have issues with. Deal 100% with Thor. CW will NEVER tell you the truth. They have mastered the process of "lie to and ignore a customer long enough and he will eventually go away".
Old 07-03-2018, 07:18 PM   #7

THOR #12186
My main goal is to get it fixed and get it back so i can use it during this camping season. I am more angry that i has taken 4 months so far and i have made 4 payments and its still sitting at CW. It has taken 4 months for the service advisor to start giving me updates after demanding them weekly going forward, even if the update is no changes in status.

Forgot to mention the brakes, since trip #1 my brake fluid reservoir was low, i have had to fill it 3-4 different times, CW says Ford will have to warranty that since it's their chassis. Ford gets it at their shop and says we refuse to cover it since Thor has modified the chassis, I'm so worried if anything is actually covered on this thing
Old 07-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #8

THOR #11130
Get Thor involved in the Ford saga. Ford has a standing agreement with warranties and they sell a huge stock to Thor every year. Thor has pulling power with Ford. I can't think of any reason Thor would modify the factory brakes on the chassis. Anytime some says "CW said",the red flags go up. I hope you get it all worked out. Pressure Thor!!
Old 07-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Retired now but in my working life and owning several companies, if someone ever mentioned the lawyer...I told them to get in line...and I hung up the phone. I never had any other conversations with them...never got sued either. It's a quick "out" for a company you may have issues with. Deal 100% with Thor. CW will NEVER tell you the truth. They have mastered the process of "lie to and ignore a customer long enough and he will eventually go away".

That’s my experience from my working years as well. I (nearly) ALWAYS believed that people who suggest legal action are more interested in making a point than they are in resolving the issue. After 35 years nothing changed that opinion! After spending most of $100,000 I would certainly go spend the few dollars it would take to track down and fix a leak as opposed to leaving the coach at a dealer for weeks or months only to get a run around. If the problem is diagnosed to be a structural issue I’d get photos and deal directly with Thor. My experience with them is productive and honorable. I’d waste no time with anything as important as the brakes. If you are having to add brake fluid it has to be going somewhere and it shouldn’t take very minutes to find out where. I’d either fix it or spend my time at a Ford dealer - one who works on RV chassis. They don’t all. Good luck!
Old 07-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #10

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #11535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jflo View Post
Bought it end of last summer and only used it a handful of times. Parked it outside in a storage facility over the winter and found water had leaked in from the underside of a slide out. Took it into Camping World where we bought it and they filed a claim with Thor, it had some other issues to fix as well under warranty.

Everything was covered per Camping World service advisor, however they were not able to complete repairs by my needed date so they only fixed the leaks and said to bring it back when i was done using it for the weekend trip.

I found that weekend that the leaks were not fixed and it was still leaking, when i informed Camping World,they filed another claim with Thor and Thor declined it saying I was past my 90 day warranty. I called Thor and asked why this wasn't a continuation of the first claim that they said they would cover? They said Camping World did not explain it that way and it appeared to be a new claim. I proceeded to call my service advisor at Camping World and tell her what the Thor rep told me, 2 weeks later I get an update from CW saying Thor still has declined to fix the water leak.
My extended warranty I purchased doesn't cover the leak either.
I am ready to lawyer up if i have to but do i have a leg to stand on?
I have a 2018 Freedom Elite 30FE and when you said leaking from underside of slide out are you talking under the slide topper or are you talking bottom of slide? I can't see how water would get in from the bottom unless it was while you were driving or a leak on side wall and running down. Just trying to understand so I can check mine.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:10 AM   #11

THOR #12186
Leak was coming in from the underside of the slide out, I assume all the water entered the slide out and worked its way into the coach from the bottom where the seals apparently did not hold up. Floor was damaged as well as wood area under the fridge. I never noticed any issues while the slide was out. The 2 times i found water in the coach was when the slide was closed.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Ontario
THOR #2441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jflo View Post
Leak was coming in from the underside of the slide out, I assume all the water entered the slide out and worked its way into the coach from the bottom where the seals apparently did not hold up. Floor was damaged as well as wood area under the fridge. I never noticed any issues while the slide was out. The 2 times i found water in the coach was when the slide was closed.

Make sure the exterior trim of your slide is caulked. In my case i took a water bottle and poured it against the slide exterior above the trim (slide extended) and watched the water wash over the trim(this is good) and also watched water drain behind the trim (this is bad) and then the water followed the bottom of the slide floor . If the slide was closed this water would eventually fall onto the motor home floor beneath the couch/dinette from the underneath side of the slide floor. Took me a while to figure this out. The exterior trim looked caulked but it was a very poor application at the factory.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #13

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Mississippi
THOR #11226
This sounds like the same problem I had with my FE 30FE. My issue turned out to be simple - I wasn't holding the retract button down long enough when I pulled in the slide and a good seal wasn't being made. For some reason, CW failed to explain to me that the proper method for closing the slide is to hold the button down for 3-4 seconds after the motors have seemingly shut off.

Go to YouTube and search "Thor Schwintek Slide Operation." The video there gives the instructions and explains why.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:21 PM   #14

State: North Carolina
THOR #26575
Unhappy 2017 Thor Freedom Elite 30FE slide leak

I just had my roof re-sealed after purchasing and seeing leaks in the cab and the back. I have water coming in from under the slide and I can't tell where it is originating from. The rubber above the slide is pitched inward instead of out as it is supposed to. (It does have a slide topper.) Has anyone else had it fixed and found out WHERE the leak is coming from?
Old 04-20-2022, 01:31 AM   #15

THOR #6433
Reseal the area above the bottom trim. If you don’t do that each year the water can leak behind the trim then it runs to the floor of the slide eventually making to the floor of the coach.