Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Oregon
THOR #16645
Sound Dampening

Have you added sound dampening to your engine cowling? Should a Thor Miramar have the sound dampening already? (It this a warrantee issue?) Did you add sound dampening material on the underside of the cowling (engine side) or on top of the cowling (under console etc). Cowling get VERY HOT, engine noise is VERY loud!

Old 04-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Go to modifications and updates
search for DogHouse Insualtion
I think that will answer your question
Old 04-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #3

State: California
THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate1025 View Post
Have you added sound dampening to your engine cowling? Should a Thor Miramar have the sound dampening already? (It this a warrantee issue?) Did you add sound dampening material on the underside of the cowling (engine side) or on top of the cowling (under console etc). Cowling get VERY HOT, engine noise is VERY loud!
We have a 2017 Miramar 34.1 and the answer to your questions are:

Have you added sound dampening to your engine cowling? Yes

Should a Thor Miramar have the sound dampening already? Yes it should. But it likely only has the same minimal insulation that comes from Ford on all their F53 cab and chassis.

Did you add sound dampening material on the underside of the cowling (engine side)? Yes, 2 layers of 3/4" (1 1/2" total thickness) thermo acoustic insulation.
or on top of the cowling (under console etc)? Nothing on top of the console yet. But I also stuffed denim insulation (Home Depot) inside the dash and front console area by accessing it by removing the plastic dash cover and the passenger side folding work station. I also applied the self-stick 3/4" thermo acoustic insulation underneath the entire cab area and in the engine bay. I am likely going to add some type of additional sound deadening to the interior cab area. I think the most effective thing to do for the interior cab would be to add padding and carpeting to the floor with a transition trim piece to the flooring material. There are pictures and discussions on the other thread you were directed to. Good Luck
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:21 PM   #4

THOR #16645
thanks - I like the carpet idea too!
Old 04-05-2020, 06:02 PM   #5

THOR #16919
Thermo acoustic insulation

The product I used was 3/4” Boom May. It comes in self-stick mats. I used 3M metal heater ducting tape on the seams
Old 04-05-2020, 07:10 PM   #6
Jdb

State: Indiana
THOR #17892
I’ve done a lot of sound dampening work on my Thor Vegas 24.1. The doghouse, dash and firewall all covered to the extent possible with Dynamat and Hoodliner

This weekend I installed the carpet/mat (at the link below) in the cab area floor. That made a Phenomenal improvement. And it looks great. The mat is very heavy rubber with a nice fiber basket weave pattern. I’ll try to attach a picture. Honestly it totally transformed the coach while driving. I also installed the mat in the outside storage bin floors, which I think helped even more

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mohawk-Home...-in/1000043727

Photo below

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D8313BB0-AB5A-4D9E-A3B9-93853F02234A.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	23175  
Old 04-05-2020, 07:32 PM   #7

THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley Dilley View Post
The product I used was 3/4” Boom May. It comes in self-stick mats. I used 3M metal heater ducting tape on the seams
Excuse me the product name is Boom Mat.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #8

THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdb View Post
I’ve done a lot of sound dampening work on my Thor Vegas 24.1. The doghouse, dash and firewall all covered to the extent possible with Dynamat and Hoodliner

This weekend I installed the carpet/mat (at the link below) in the cab area floor. That made a Phenomenal improvement. And it looks great. The mat is very heavy rubber with a nice fiber basket weave pattern. I’ll try to attach a picture. Honestly it totally transformed the coach while driving. I also installed the mat in the outside storage bin floors, which I think helped even more

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mohawk-Home...-in/1000043727

Photo below

Dave
That is excellent! Did you just buy a big enough mat and then cut it to fit around everything? I think adding in the compartments is a good idea too because it is going to help with sound deadening overall by the added acoustic value. The echo effect in areas that don’t have sufficient acoustic coverings just intensifies the noise. Great project! I’m on that mod next for our Motorhome.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:03 PM   #9

THOR #16919
Denim Insulation

Utilizing denim insulation material to fill in and insulate hollow spaces in the dash or cabinet spaces with stereo speakers in them works well for acoustic and temperature insulation. Its also safe because it doesn’t have the fibers like normal insulations do. It's just recycled denim. Here's a link to the product...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTou...6482/202710055
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Old 04-05-2020, 08:09 PM   #10
Jdb

THOR #17892
I used two of the 4x6 mats, and cut them to fit around everything. I tried cutting with a utility knife first - that didn’t work well. I then bought a pair of heavy-duty scissors from Lowe’s (in the cutting tools area) and those have worked very well.

The mats are heavy and not very flexible, so it takes some time; however, the results are totally worth the effort!

Dave
Old 04-05-2020, 08:20 PM   #11

THOR #16919
That's a good idea. Is your seam in the middle in the area where the table flange is in the floor? I might lay some paper down and use it to make a template for each side. Thanks again for the great mod!
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Old 04-05-2020, 08:26 PM   #12
Jdb

THOR #17892
Yes the seam is in the middle, and not noticeable. In hindsight, a paper template would have been a big help!!

Dave
Old 04-05-2020, 08:30 PM   #13

THOR #16645
Great Idea

Looks sharp! yes totally changes look of the cab area. Great idea!
Old 04-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #14
Jdb

THOR #17892
Yes, my wife said it looks “elegant”, and she doesn’t use a term like that lightly!

Dave
Old 04-05-2020, 10:35 PM   #15

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Thanks for posting pic and mat specs. Looks like the effort has a good return in damping road noise. Did you remove the seat bases to install the mat or just cut-out around them?
Also, if you have a chance, could you take a decibel reading at or near your cruising speed and post a number for us. I have done some sound reduction, but still have to much for comfort and the mat looks good to me.
Thanks a bunch
Old 04-05-2020, 10:40 PM   #16
Jdb

THOR #17892
I just cut around the seat bases, etc. I didn’t do a decibel meter recording yesterday so will have to wait till the 17th for our trip north. However,
I can assure you that the difference is huge

Dave
Old 04-05-2020, 10:50 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Thanks for posting pic and mat specs. Looks like the effort has a good return in damping road noise. .....cut....
You deserve a prize.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:12 PM   #18

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdb View Post
I just cut around the seat bases, etc. I didn’t do a decibel meter recording yesterday so will have to wait till the 17th for our trip north. However,
I can assure you that the difference is huge

Dave
Ok you convinced me to install it especially since I have a little time on my hands since the "round to it's" list has gotten a little shorter.
I looked up my readings after installing sound mat in doghouse several years ago; 77-80 between seats at head height.
Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:35 PM   #19

THOR #1249
Dave, I was getting ready to go for your mod and noticed the "Door" part of the mat. You must have removed the carpet to install the mat and does the mat have any fastening to the floor or does it just lay in place? Also, haven't checked the size of cab floor, so does the 72" mat reach across the cab or did you have to piece it? Looks good without the carpet.
Thanks
Old 04-06-2020, 05:01 PM   #20
Jdb

THOR #17892
I removed the carpet in the foot wells.

The mat pretty much lays in place. Where it didn’t, I used some 1” pocket-joint screws (Lowe’s). They are brown to match, have a wide head to hold the mat, and don’t require a pilot hole.

I did remove the table base between the seats, and reinstalled over the mat, using the original screws.

I also removed the black plastic edge piece that goes across the horizontal and vertically sections. I reinstalled that and used it to hold/finish the edges of the mat.

72” isn’t wide enough - this requires two mats

Dave