Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2021, 04:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 27.7
State: Arizona
THOR #19334
2020 Thor Axis 27.7

Need help in winterizing my TMC 2020 Thor Axis 27.7 with tankless water heater. I followed the instructions per the owners manual (drain all water out of tanks, hooked up antifreeze gallon jug with short hose to city water inlet, turned on the pump nothing happened, did the priming (opened up low drains, no antifreeze came out from them).
Is there some where a valve to turn or something to let the water pump know it is antifreeze? I filled the fresh water tank with 3/4 water and turned on the pump and water came out ok from faucets. Emptied the fresh water tank and tried the antifreeze hook up again and still no antifreeze would go in. What should have taken 30 minutes at the most I finally gave up after 5 hours. When I had a travel trailer I had a valve I had to turn to winterize it. There is nothing in the manual or YouTube video stating or showing how you switch to winterizing the motorhome. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:42 AM   #2

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by leepsnco View Post
Need help in winterizing my TMC 2020 Thor Axis 27.7 with tankless water heater. I followed the instructions per the owners manual (drain all water out of tanks, hooked up antifreeze gallon jug with short hose to city water inlet, turned on the pump nothing happened, did the priming (opened up low drains, no antifreeze came out from them).
Is there some where a valve to turn or something to let the water pump know it is antifreeze? I filled the fresh water tank with 3/4 water and turned on the pump and water came out ok from faucets. Emptied the fresh water tank and tried the antifreeze hook up again and still no antifreeze would go in. What should have taken 30 minutes at the most I finally gave up after 5 hours. When I had a travel trailer I had a valve I had to turn to winterize it. There is nothing in the manual or YouTube video stating or showing how you switch to winterizing the motorhome. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Your pump is only pulling from the fresh water tank. The city water hookup doesn’t operate with the pump. It uses pressure from the city water source. If you want to use the pump to distribute antifreeze you’ll need to find the pump, connect your hose that you stuffed into the gallon jug to the inlet side of the pump, close the low point drains, then turn the pump on. You will then be drawing antifreeze from the jug when you open a faucet.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:36 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Which owner's manual? The one that came with the coach or the crowd sourced one found here:
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...nual-4961.html

Your Axis already has a spot to hook a hose to so the pump can source the antifreeze straight from the jug. Find your water pump and follow the intake line. You'll find a T with a line going to the water tank through a valve and another line that ends with a cap.

Remove the cap, hook up a hose, close the valve. Put the other end of the hose in your antifreeze jug.

Don't forget to open a faucet when you turn the pump on--nothing will work with a closed system.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:45 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Thor's operator's manual is a POS as it is totally generic- it applies to all Class A and Cs and leaves out these important details specific to each model. The crowd sourced manual is specific to 24.1 Axis and is the only one worth looking at.

David
Old 01-22-2021, 02:19 PM   #5

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Arizona
THOR #19334
Winterizing Thor Axis 27.7

Thank you all for responding to my inquiry on winterizing my motorhome. Update:
Spending a day trying to "locate" the water pump and turn off water valve I accomplished the winterizing in 20 minutes. My real beef is that Thor has labels inside and outside all over the motorhome. You would think they would put a "label" inside the storage compartment next to the dump compartment on the panel (right side) that hides the pump and turn off valve! Removed the two screws on the panel, removed the panel and found the pump and turn off water valve.
Made a change to the panel: put velcro tape on back of panel and drilled a hole for a looped draw string to remove the panel. My other beef is that the owners manual and videos do not indicate the "location" of the water pump and turn off water valve.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:26 PM   #6
Mag

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Winterize 27.7

We have a 2019 27.7 and the best pump access is behind the outside shower. Remove the screws and voila! a water pump. Also I have always winterized my trailers with the air compressor. No bad after taste from the pink stuff. I do get one gallon jug and divide it between the drains. Has worked for 15+ years.