Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: California
THOR #18499
Shower door

I was driving on the freeway and went over a bump, transition to an overcrossing, I heard a loud crash and what sounded like a thousand rain drops. Pulled over and found the bathroom filled with glass. As you can see the doors were still locked closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_115209.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	24734  

Old 07-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #62

THOR #18499
Battery and solar

I plug in once or twice a year. All my camping is boondocking and off the beaten path. Solar and the battery bank are at the top of my list in importance.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #63
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire View Post
I was driving on the freeway and went over a bump, transition to an overcrossing, I heard a loud crash and what sounded like a thousand rain drops. Pulled over and found the bathroom filled with glass. As you can see the doors were still locked closed.
That must have been one heckuva bump!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #64

THOR #18499
Shower door

It wasn't, it felt the same as the last thousand over crossings. Only difference was the loud crash of breaking glass. I actually like the shower without the doors. It gives me two more inches of room inside the shower. Just enough to where I don't hit my elbows now.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:34 PM   #65
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
"Turning lemons into lemonade": I like it!
Old 07-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #66

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Hard to believe the shower door shattered that way.... crazy!

The good news is the shower on the SV34 is different than the XG32. It's larger and square shaped so it has a different door. Hopefully I won't have to worry about the door on our shower.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #67
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Just don't lean your behind up against it too forcefully!
Old 08-07-2020, 01:28 AM   #68

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Nevada
THOR #19972
Quote:
Bumper picture attached
Which Buckstop model bumper did you buy?
Old 08-29-2020, 04:25 AM   #69

THOR #18499
Buckstop Classic 2 bumper
Old 09-04-2020, 02:53 AM   #70

State: Alabama
THOR #20376
Quote:
I love the panoramic window in the cab over, the residential refrigerator is great and will be awesome once I replace the batteries, inverter and charge controller and add 600 Watts of solar. The floor plan is my favorite thing. Overall I'm very happy and love the XG32!
Please forgive my ignorance, I'm an RV newbie and plan on purchasing one next spring; am seriously looking at the Magnitude XG32.

I've been reading thru various posts and many are talking about their challenges during the first few months of driving their new rig... tear of some sort in the linoleum flooring, window rattle, shower door shattering, cheap vents, shower door shattering, pull out drawer under the stove has no latch, etc. No one really seems phased from these defects; are things going wrong with a new rig just part of owning an RV and you just deal with it, get whatever fixed and move on?

Also, TIRE you mentioned, I love the panoramic window in the cab over, the residential refrigerator is great and will be awesome once I replace the batteries, inverter and charge controller and add 600 Watts of solar.

- Why are you replacing the batteries?
- Why are you replacing the inverter? Doesn't it come with an inverter?
- What is a charge controller?
- Why would one need solar power?

It seems the last thing someone would want to do is invest more money into an already large purchase, but this is exactly what you are doing and I am just wondering why, if do you don't mind sharing.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:08 AM   #71

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersh View Post
Please forgive my ignorance, I'm an RV newbie and plan on purchasing one next spring; am seriously looking at the Magnitude XG32.

I've been reading thru various posts and many are talking about their challenges during the first few months of driving their new rig... tear of some sort in the linoleum flooring, window rattle, shower door shattering, cheap vents, shower door shattering, pull out drawer under the stove has no latch, etc. No one really seems phased from these defects; are things going wrong with a new rig just part of owning an RV and you just deal with it, get whatever fixed and move on?

Also, TIRE you mentioned, I love the panoramic window in the cab over, the residential refrigerator is great and will be awesome once I replace the batteries, inverter and charge controller and add 600 Watts of solar.

- Why are you replacing the batteries?
- Why are you replacing the inverter? Doesn't it come with an inverter?
- What is a charge controller?
- Why would one need solar power?

It seems the last thing someone would want to do is invest more money into an already large purchase, but this is exactly what you are doing and I am just wondering why, if do you don't mind sharing.
Other than the window rattle in mine ( which the vendor has a new window that i hope fixes it) I absolutely love our XG32. That has really been the only issue. There has been some small things, I just take care of them my self.
Do new RV's have issues and is it to be expected? YES . It's unfortunate too spend so much on a new RV and to have issues, but it does happen. If you have mechanical abilities you can work through the vast majority of them yourself.
This is my 3rd new motor home and the first time I have made a warranty claim, all of the small stuff I just fix myself.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:42 AM   #72

THOR #18499
Every RV will have issues you have to have repaired or repair yourself when you first buy it.
99% of RV's are made to be plugged into shore power. I boondock and therefore rarely plugged in. A residential refrigerator uses 90-110 amps per day. The batteries equipped with the rv are 225 amps and are wet cell. Which means you should only use 40-50% of that to avoid deep discharging the battery. That would be approximately 110 amps available. That's just enough for the refrigerator and nothing else. You could double the amount of batteries, there's just enough room for that, but now you have 110 or 220 amps to put back in the batteries.
With the existing chargers charging parameters it would take over 26 hours to fully charge the 110 amps back up let alone 220 amps. Thus you must be plugged in or running your generator full time to fully charge the batteries. You could get by with running your generator for 10 hours a day and only charge the batteries to 85%. You will be able to run the refrigerator all night but nothing else. So I put in 400 amps of lithium batteries, which gives me 360-380 useable amps. The new inverter/converter charges at 50 amps an hour. I have enough solar to charge the batteries in 4 hours or by running the generator for 4 hours. And it takes me two too the days to use that many amps. I've only used the generator to run the ac. I can use the microwave and the induction cooktop on battery power.
The charge controller takes the power from the dollar panels and changes the batteries. It must be sized for the amount of solar panels you have. The stock charge controller is a 10 amp controller, it can handle a maximum of 180 watts of solar panels. Enough to keep your battery charged if it's sitting in storage. My old truck camper came with a 30 amp charge controller. A 10 amp controller is a joke.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:48 PM   #73

THOR #20376
Quote:
Every RV will have issues you have to have repaired or repair yourself when you first buy it.
99% of RV's are made to be plugged into shore power. I boondock and therefore rarely plugged in. A residential refrigerator uses 90-110 amps per day. The batteries equipped with the rv are 225 amps and are wet cell. Which means you should only use 40-50% of that to avoid deep discharging the battery. That would be approximately 110 amps available. That's just enough for the refrigerator and nothing else. You could double the amount of batteries, there's just enough room for that, but now you have 110 or 220 amps to put back in the batteries.
With the existing chargers charging parameters it would take over 26 hours to fully charge the 110 amps back up let alone 220 amps. Thus you must be plugged in or running your generator full time to fully charge the batteries. You could get by with running your generator for 10 hours a day and only charge the batteries to 85%. You will be able to run the refrigerator all night but nothing else. So I put in 400 amps of lithium batteries, which gives me 360-380 useable amps. The new inverter/converter charges at 50 amps an hour. I have enough solar to charge the batteries in 4 hours or by running the generator for 4 hours. And it takes me two too the days to use that many amps. I've only used the generator to run the ac. I can use the microwave and the induction cooktop on battery power.
The charge controller takes the power from the dollar panels and changes the batteries. It must be sized for the amount of solar panels you have. The stock charge controller is a 10 amp controller, it can handle a maximum of 180 watts of solar panels. Enough to keep your battery charged if it's sitting in storage. My old truck camper came with a 30 amp charge controller. A 10 amp controller is a joke.
Does the Thor come with an inverter? Or did you add an extra or just replace the OEM?

Since I plan on doing a fair amount of boondocking myself, would you be so kind to post the links for your 'boondocking setup' I would like to follow your lead.

Also do you know the difference between the Omni and the Magnitude?
Old 09-04-2020, 11:31 PM   #74

THOR #18499
I put in a new inverter charger to replace the existing charger and seperate inverter. Trimetric (bogart manufacturing) battery monitor. I highly recommend the trimetric battery monitor, even if it's the only thing you do to your system. I would also recommend calling Eddie at Mobile Homestead Solar services. He will install everything or consult you on your system. He was 1/3 the cost of the RV dealer in my area for labor. If he's doing the install he will give you a list of parts to buy. He lives in an RV (commercial big rig and trailer that he built himself) so he lives the off grid solar life. He and his family travel between Texas, Arizona, Wyoming and North Carolina.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200622_204359.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	25963   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200621_163400.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	25964  

Old 09-04-2020, 11:53 PM   #75

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersh View Post
Does the Thor come with an inverter? Or did you add an extra or just replace the OEM?

Since I plan on doing a fair amount of boondocking myself, would you be so kind to post the links for your 'boondocking setup' I would like to follow your lead.

Also do you know the difference between the Omni and the Magnitude?

The Omni / Magnitude and the various models under each are identical and they just have different trim packages.

They come with a Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 Inverter that powers the residential fridge (plus the small fridge if you have the SV34 with the outdoor kitchen), the outdoor TV, the main TV at the cab-over bunk and the outlet next to the bed.

I added two additional Duracell 6V golf cart batteries as well as two 160W Renogy flexible solar panels. I can run both fridges overnight without a problem.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:12 AM   #76

THOR #20376
Great, thank you!

2 more questions for you... how are you going to get the OEM recliners our of the rig and get the new ones in?

Lastly, is this rig wired/plumbed for a washer/dryer?
Old 09-06-2020, 10:40 PM   #77

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
I put in a new inverter charger to replace the existing charger and seperate inverter. Trimetric (bogart manufacturing) battery monitor. I highly recommend the trimetric battery monitor, even if it's the only thing you do to your system. I would also recommend calling Eddie at Mobile Homestead Solar services. He will install everything or consult you on your system. He was 1/3 the cost of the RV dealer in my area for labor. If he's doing the install he will give you a list of parts to buy. He lives in an RV (commercial big rig and trailer that he built himself) so he lives the off grid solar life. He and his family travel between Texas, Arizona, Wyoming and North Carolina.

Very clean setup you have there!
Old 09-06-2020, 10:59 PM   #78

THOR #20376
Quote:

Great, thank you!

2 more questions for you... how are you going to get the OEM recliners our of the rig and get the new ones in?

Lastly, is this rig wired/plumbed for a washer/dryer?

Ps. Not sure if notifications go out if you don't reply with quote, that's why I'm asking again.