Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2020, 02:31 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
2021 E-Series Motorhomes at Dealer

First 2021 E-Series video I’ve seen of actual unit at a dealer. I expect they should start to become more common from various manufacturers.

It’s a Nexus Viper 29V and salesman shows inside of cab in first 2 minutes, including starting the new engine so we can hear while idling. Not really an accurate indicator since door is open so much of sound is from outside noise. Still seems quieter but hard to say on a biased sales video.

Video also shows TPMS which includes all six tires on this E-450. Also of interest later in video is a 7.5 cubic foot (all electric) residential fridge by Whirlpool if I recall correctly.

https://youtu.be/Svo0F0nhHAg

Old 05-24-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thanks for this info!
So: are you going to pull the trigger?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:57 PM   #3

THOR #2121
Thor finally updated their Class C web pages, as well as some of the Class A.

Other than listing new V8 engine (and they are listing the Premium instead of Economy version), I didn’t notice any significant changes in smaller motorhomes ; most floorplans look the same or similar. Maybe they are saving innovation for new upcoming Hymer division.

I haven’t seen any pictures of 2021 Class Cs on new chassis at dealers yet, but have seen new 2021 Thor Class As like the Ace. Other than new dash with steering wheel controls, only the revised engine doghouse stood out to me, but I don’t follow these large motorhomes closely so I may have missed a lot.

Its difficult to say from pictures, but doghouse looks about as wide as before but perhaps a little lower at back to make it easier to step over, with cup holders relocated. Below are before and after pictures for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4055C377-125F-44FB-9FB7-1F463E80D518.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	23941   Click image for larger version

Name:	602CD4C5-75B6-4B82-9B7C-9B1C0288DE29.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	23942  

Name:	578888B5-A865-434B-A7D4-5603EC264C3E.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	23943  
Old 05-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That doghouse looks like an ankle-biter
Old 05-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Yeah, I agree — which doesn’t happen often with you Bob.

The shape at back with sloped sides looks like a twisted ankle waiting to happen if someone tries to step on it.

It’s interesting that if new engine is both lower and narrower, why the doghouse doesn’t look narrower at floor level.

It’s like they left the opening at floor the same and tapered inward higher up. Maybe they had a perfectly good reason, but I suspect they wanted ability to interchange both doghouses as they transitioned from V10 to V8.

Anyway, the other difference “appears” to be reach to cup holders. In new design they seem farther away. I’m not sure if that’s going to make a difference to some drivers depending on seat adjustment for driving.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:22 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You're right: we agreed on something!

I hope it's not a sign of an approaching apocalypse!

Old 05-28-2020, 08:40 PM   #7

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Thanks for the posts.... I been checking Thors MH website for the Axis updates.

I think the 2021's will have some much needed updates. Most important to me would have been the TPMS..... Esp after I had a blow out a month ago (before I installed my Eez TPMS last week).

Do you remember the full list?

Digital Dash? New steering wheel with cruise and audio controls? Roll over mitigation?? Bigger Alt (plus dual alt option from Ford). Of coarse V8 with a little more HP and TQ in premium model.

What else?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:22 PM   #8

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Thanks for the posts.... I been checking Thors MH website for the Axis updates.

I think the 2021's will have some much needed updates. Most important to me would have been the TPMS..... Esp after I had a blow out a month ago (before I installed my Eez TPMS last week).

Do you remember the full list?

Digital Dash? New steering wheel with cruise and audio controls? Roll over mitigation?? Bigger Alt (plus dual alt option from Ford). Of coarse V8 with a little more HP and TQ in premium model.

What else?

Yeah, I was waiting to see what they did with Axis and Vegas for 2021, but unless they are still updating the site (and they may be since still showing V10), it doesn’t look like they are adding any new floor plans. Even if they did, Thor would likely go even larger before they would add a baby version.

Anyway, new steering column will be telescoping in addition to previous tilt, plus more electronic safety features.

As to power, I think the new V8 is a lot more than the 305 HP the E-Series V10 has. I expect that maximum power rating at 3,900 RPM is on paper, not actual. Just an educated guess I can’t prove though.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:42 PM   #9

THOR #12231
I think the 2021 was like 320 HP and 475 TQ? Still shows the 6 speed tranny. I hope the new V8 is good for 1 more MPH vs the V10.

Yeah, I really like the Axis / Vegas lineup (perfect size for me right now). Im glad I got my 2017 25.4 floor plan (27 foot long with 70 cu foot of storage!) but if they had a new model with TWO slide with like 60 - 80+ cu storage (If even possible). I know they have the 27.7 floor plan but not much outside storage plus a few things inside we are not crazy about.

Still waiting on the "Garage" version. LOL. That that to me would be a 48 inch x 94 inch size. Even if it was only 4 foot tall that would be fine with me but I want two doors (one on each side) for my Mtn Bikes.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 05-28-2020, 10:12 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I wonder if they left the doghouse the same size to allow for more clearance for airflow and cooling (yeah granted I'm sure most of the cooling is through the radiator but the V-10 was a really tight fit on the vans).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:16 PM   #11

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
That one cockpit picture reminds me an 1970 station wagon with the fake wood paneling. I'd like to think Thor could do better than that..... just sayin'.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:21 PM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I wonder if they left the doghouse the same size to allow for more clearance for airflow and cooling (yeah granted I'm sure most of the cooling is through the radiator but the V-10 was a really tight fit on the vans).
On Class A it looks to me like Thor may have left the steel framing (floor) around the engine the same because the doghouse appears secured at same locations. Just a guess on my part so that they could manufacture on F-53 chassis with V10, and then when 2021 chassis with V8 arrived, they could keep going without much of a changeover.

For cutaway chassis Ford announced a doghouse revision to start next year (if I recall date correctly).
Old 05-28-2020, 11:34 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:

......cut....

Still waiting on the "Garage" version. LOL. That that to me would be a 48 inch x 94 inch size. Even if it was only 4 foot tall that would be fine with me but I want two doors (one on each side) for my Mtn Bikes.
I thought after Tiffin adopted garage option with Wayfarer, that Thor might see the light and produce a “Touring” or “Active” 24.1 floorplan. The Tiffin garage is no where as large as what you described, but plenty for a few bikes or for lots of other cargo. Tiffin didn’t have to do much revision to an existing floorplan. Thor could do the same.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:47 AM   #14

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I thought after Tiffin adopted garage option with Wayfarer, that Thor might see the light and produce a “Touring” or “Active” 24.1 floorplan. The Tiffin garage is no where as large as what you described, but plenty for a few bikes or for lots of other cargo. Tiffin didn’t have to do much revision to an existing floorplan. Thor could do the same.
Yep, I agree. I like that Tiffin floor plan but I think my Large Mtn bike with 160 mm suspention would not fit unless I removed both front and rear tires.

Perhaps in a few years they will see the light.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:44 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
While I haven't seen the actual details regarding Tiffin's garage models: I think that they made room for it by deleting the rear slide-out.
The trouble is: they are limited in height by the location of the freshwater tank. It sits right above that area, and is under the bed.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #16

THOR #2121
Quote:
Yep, I agree. I like that Tiffin floor plan but I think my Large Mtn bike with 160 mm suspention would not fit unless I removed both front and rear tires.

Perhaps in a few years they will see the light.

Tiffin specs list the garage as 35X44X86 inches, and based on pictures, it looks like the 44-inches is the vertical dimension. For me that would be plenty, but my bikes aren’t that tall.

Unless Thor got assistance from Hymer division, I doubt they could replicate that much vertical clearance without ruining the bedroom area if they modified an Axis or Vegas 24.1 floor plan on their own.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Chance,
Do you happen to have a picture of Tiffin's garage?
Old 05-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #18

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
While I haven't seen the actual details regarding Tiffin's garage models: I think that they made room for it by deleting the rear slide-out.
The trouble is: they are limited in height by the location of the freshwater tank. It sits right above that area, and is under the bed.

You must be thinking of a different floorplan. The one they modified didn’t require much change at all. Pictures communicate better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F23906C4-14B1-41A4-A2F7-6B891CCABEEC.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	23974   Click image for larger version

Name:	78C175E5-2CE5-4791-96DF-DA4A80B186B8.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	23975  

Name:	204FCAD0-E51F-48E1-A22E-4AB5FDDB09F9.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	23976   Click image for larger version

Name:	8AF30ECF-DFC2-4002-AEEA-0E3A23678BDA.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	23977  

Old 05-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks!
We looked at the TW last year...
It used to just have a small "pass-through" ...
Somehow; they opend up the entire area now!
Old 05-30-2020, 07:07 AM   #20

State: Louisiana
THOR #16756
2021 Thor Vegas 24.1

I just purchased my first RV the 2021 Thor Vegas 24.1. I've been looking at this rig for the past 4 years. When the unit was delivered, I noticed the the external TV was missing. Had no idea this was to be discontinued. I was very disappointed to say the least. I guess they had to off set the cost for the power seats, remote leveling jacks, and heated water bins. The V8 engine gives another 30 plus horsepower and has a nice little rumble sound to it. There were no new brochures or photos of the 2021 units. Thor would just use the generic old information and pulled a fast one on me.