Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Quebec
THOR #20650
2021 Thor Axis 24.1 or Vegas 24.1

Good day,

I am considering ordering a new 2021 Axis 24.1 without seeing a unit in person.

Based on my experience and the many videos I saw, i only have a few items I would like to verify with owners before writing the check.

1) It appears that you have to REMOVE the dinning table when driving. Can you use the table without the pullout? We often have lunch or dinner on streets, parking lots where you can not extend the pull out. How does the table work?

2) It does not appear that there is a dinette option.

3) Am I correct to assume 12 mpg or 21 l/100km as my mileage. I believe this is not the new V8.

Thanks a lot, Brian

Old 09-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianPBenedict View Post
Good day,

I am considering ordering a new 2021 Axis 24.1 without seeing a unit in person.

Based on my experience and the many vodeos I saw, i only have a few items I would like to verify with owners before writing the check.

1) It appears that you have to REMOVE the dinning table when driving. Can you use the table without the pullout? We often have lunch or dinner on streets, parking lots where you can not extend the pull out. How does the table work?

2) It does not appear that there is a dinette option.

3) Am I correct to assume 12 mpg or 21 l/100km as my mileage. I believe this is not the new V8.

Thanks a lot, Brian
Welcome to the site.

1) Yes the table in front of the couch needs to be removed: You cannot pull the slide in without first removing the table. You can, however, use the table in between the two front seats (if there are only two of you and the 2021 model includes this table).

2) No option for a dinette but that doesn't stop you from removing the couch and putting in one yourself after the fact (many people have installed theater seating there after the fact--myself included)

3) Check as it may likely have the new V8 since that has been showing up in even 2020 models.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Regarding #3 - MPG

Don’t expect 12 mpg unless you are driving empty
With the E350 chassis now being utilized, you won’t have the same weight capacity vs previous E450 model...so if you keep it light you should exceed 10.5-11 MPG with conservative driving.

The other option for you is to go with the Mercedes Class C with the same layout as the 24.1
It’s a bit narrower, but the floorplan is the same. Just look for the twin bed/converts to king model.
In that case your Diesel engine will get you to 14-16 mpg

Of course, the up-front price you pay will be higher with the Mercedes C
Old 09-23-2020, 09:52 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
You will pay at least $30K more for a Mercedes Sprinter based Class C vs a Thor Axis/Vegas.

Also let's look at mileage and fuel costs:

Assume the gasser gets 10 mpg and the Mercedes Sprinter diesel based coach gets 15 mpg. For 10,000 miles per year of travelling, that means 1,000 gallons for the gasser and 667 gallons for the diesel. Gas costs $2.20/gal in my area and diesel is $2.65. So the gasser costs $2,200 per year for fuel and the diesel costs $1,768 or $432 less for the diesel.

It will take a long, long time to make up $30,000 at that rate. YMMV of course.

Also the old or new gassers (and it is my understanding that all new coaches are delivered with the new V8) have plenty of power and torque to pull that coach. The new V8 produces much more hp and torque than the Mercedes Sprinter engine and may even equal the Sprinter's torque at low rpms.

I have watched tear down videos of the new Ford gasser and I am convinced that it will live at least as long as the Mercedes diesel. Hey it has 7.3 liters of iron vs 3 liters for the Mercedes.

Even fuel capacity and range is better on the gasser model. The Vegas has a 55 gallon tank and the Mercedes Sprinter has a 27gallon tank. With even a 50% difference in mileage, 55 gallons will take you further. The only downside is that it will take a few minutes longer to pump that much gas, although you never have to add DEF.

David
Old 09-23-2020, 11:09 PM   #5

THOR #20650
Thank you both

I really like the Axis 24.1 size and look.

Sadly, the dinning table is too important to consider the Axis any further.

I don't understand why Thor simply does not give the option. We all eat and storing the table in a closet is well, poor thinking.

I prefer class B+ & Class A over Class C. The overcab are ugly, but functional.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2020, 11:44 PM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:

I don't understand why Thor simply does not give the option. We all eat and storing the table in a closet is well, poor thinking.

Thanks
The cost to remove sofa and insert a high-end dinette with under-seat storage is minimal. RecPro has available for under $1200
Many OEM-look aftermarket choices available today

That’s your play if you’re intent on the 24.1

FYI...you’ll spend as much (or more) on aftermarket Suspension & Inverter & Satellite Dish add-ons.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:43 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:

Thanks
The slide doesn't move very far at all (maybe 20"). There really isn't anything preventing you from putting it out anywhere.

Its not like some of the trailers and 5th wheels where the slide moves a good 3ft or more.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:55 AM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

Thanks

Well that’s why there are literally hundreds of RV options on the market. Enjoy the shopping! A well designed and proportioned dinette was important to us as well but, apparently, lots of folks don’t use them much. Had RV friends who prided themselves on having never used the kitchen. They either went to a restaurant or grilled and ate outside. They always said they were “on vacation” and if they wanted to cook and eat in the house they might as well have stayed home. They were happy people. It takes all kinds
Old 09-24-2020, 01:31 AM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Most RV dinettes are fairly uncomfortable if used for longer than it takes to eat a meal. If it’s only needed for two individuals, a more comfortable option in my opinion are a pair of facing captain’s chairs with a removable table between them. Mounted on swivels the two can also face forward for travel. There have been numerous motorhomes that have used this arrangement, including one Axis/Vegas floorplan. Main downside is that it can’t be used as a bed.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:39 AM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
We use ours for lots of things beyond eating. Meal prep, playing card or board games, working as a desk with a laptop or paying bills and such, etc. it’s not notably comfy but it works and it’s an important part of our RV lifestyle. Many units have benches too close to the table for some ample American physiques though!
Old 09-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Right but if you remove the couch in a 24.1 and replace it with a relatively uncomfortable dinette then you're also removing a place to stretch out and relax. After that your options are just the front seats or go lay on the beds in the back.

One of the reasons we went with the recliners we did: Its still a couch you can lay on without having to recline the seats.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:52 AM   #12

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13555
Axis dinning table

We actually don’t use the dinning table. It was in the way being stationary. We have 3 tv tables that I redid. Easy to store and I can move them around to wherever is works best. We also have a large folding table that we use both inside and out.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:36 PM   #13
Mag

Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Upscale a bit and get the 27.7. Same gas mileage, a bit more room and the table is part of the dinette in a slide. Works great.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:57 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
Upscale a bit and get the 27.7. Same gas mileage, a bit more room and the table is part of the dinette in a slide. Works great.
Unless you need all that outside storage that the 24.1 provides:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-10-03 125636.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	26477

There is no way we could move from our 24.1 to a 27.7 simply due to all the outside stuff we bring along...
Old 10-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #15
Mag

THOR #16132
Stirage

I feel the superior outlay and versatility of the 27.7 outweighs a bit of extra storage. Won’t carry as much extra stuff. If there’s nowhere to put it. Lol
Old 10-03-2020, 07:14 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
I feel the superior outlay and versatility of the 27.7 outweighs a bit of extra storage. Won’t carry as much extra stuff. If there’s nowhere to put it. Lol
Agree to disagree: We've had our 24.1 for 6 seasons now and its been great. There hasn't been a new Axis/Vegas floorplan that we would have chosen over this one (there is a reason the 24.1 is the most popular model of Axis/Vegas--Thor has experimented with other floorplans some come some go but the 24.1 remains..hmm).
Old 10-03-2020, 07:21 PM   #17
Mag

THOR #16132
And that’s why there are different models for different people. ��
Old 10-04-2020, 01:57 AM   #18

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13555
I saw a comment to get a larger model.
If we had a larger model we’d need to have a toad. But with the 24.1 we can get almost anywhere. And in the year and a half we’ve had the coach we’ve been across country twice and spent two winters in Florida without any problems.
We love all the storage, love the floor plan and with 4 folding tables (we don’t use the tables that fit the posts) we take we have no problem sitting for a nice meal or getting on computers. The tables can store in same space as the ones that came with the unit.
Good luck to you
Safe travels
Old 10-04-2020, 12:47 PM   #19
Luc

THOR #3731
Question Front fiber glass Thor 2014

Hello all

I have a Thor Vegas 24.1 from 2014 and the whole fiberglass front end needs to be repainted because of the varnish of the paint that is disappearing
Am i the only one with this kind of problem ?
Old 10-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Hello all

I have a Thor Vegas 24.1 from 2014 and the whole fiberglass front end needs to be repainted because of the varnish of the paint that is disappearing
Am i the only one with this kind of problem ?
Ours still looks pretty good in that regard. After six seasons it is showing some UV damage but that is kind of to be expected. After a day of work we got most of that covered...

Tags
axis 24.1 dinette table