Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2020, 03:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Virginia
THOR #19723
2021 Thor Freedom Elite 30FE - Dual Radio issue

Hello All,
Newbie RV owner here just picked up my new 2020 or 2021 depending on whether you believe the registration or the paper work... Getting familiarized with everything on the inside and I cannot get the Radio to pick up any local stations. The Radio is a Dual XDVD179BT. Anyone else have this issue or an idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Larry

Old 08-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #2

Model: ACE 29D
State: Maryland
THOR #19558
Hi Larry. We just got (in July) a Freedom Elite 26HE with that radio and have had problems too. Went to the Manassas Camping World and they determined that an adapter was missing. They ordered a part thru the warranty but we are still waiting for it. Patience is growing thin.

We have been on a 10 day trip and can use the blue tooth, but no radio stations. Also, the speaker in the driver’s door doesn’t work.

I’m wondering...did yours come with Satellite radio? The instal of the Sirius receiver in ours is about the hokiest I have ever seen. They just hooked it with a wire and put in in the holder below the radio.

I am looking at a Kenwood replacement I’ve seen on this forum.
2009 SmartCar Toad,the "SMT L80"
Johnandcarols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:02 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Virginia
THOR #19723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnandcarols View Post
Hi Larry. We just got (in July) a Freedom Elite 26HE with that radio and have had problems too. Went to the Manassas Camping World and they determined that an adapter was missing. They ordered a part thru the warranty but we are still waiting for it. Patience is growing thin.

We have been on a 10 day trip and can use the blue tooth, but no radio stations. Also, the speaker in the driver’s door doesn’t work.

I’m wondering...did yours come with Satellite radio? The instal of the Sirius receiver in ours is about the hokiest I have ever seen. They just hooked it with a wire and put in in the holder below the radio.

I am looking at a Kenwood replacement I’ve seen on this forum.
Hi John,
Sounds like we are in the same boat, We bought ours in Manassas as well at the end of July. Hopefully after trouble shooting yours they can figure our out. Yes, I have the same cheesey Sirius receiver that falls off every time I hit a bump and hangs there. I would love to compare notes on a few fit and finish things, we are still waiting for a punch of "Punch List" items to be repaired; though to be fair we keep taking it camping... We are keeping it their for 2 months while we work out our ideal parking. They will have the next few weeks to fix everything.

Did you get the "Dual App" for the radio to work? I can't.. What Model Kenwood :-)

Larry
Old 01-12-2021, 02:22 PM   #4

State: Illinois
THOR #21738
Hi. I just purchased a 2021 Thor with this same radio and hockey sirus setup in it. What did you guy do to fix any of this. Radio comes in horribly. This is a $99 dollar radio at Walmart and not even worth the money.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:50 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASST1 View Post
Hi. I just purchased a 2021 Thor with this same radio and hockey sirus setup in it. What did you guy do to fix any of this. Radio comes in horribly. This is a $99 dollar radio at Walmart and not even worth the money.

Well then just replace it. I used a mid level Kenwood purchased from Crutchfield’s scratch and dent page for about $175 and couldn’t be happier. My coach had a separate amp that I didn’t know about but retained.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:55 PM   #6

THOR #21738
Attached is a picture. It looks like I might be stuck with a single DIN radio which makes things a challenge. Did you install it yourself?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	28028  
Old 01-13-2021, 02:41 AM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASST1 View Post
Attached is a picture. It looks like I might be stuck with a single DIN radio which makes things a challenge. Did you install it yourself?

That’s an interesting unit. I think if it was mine I’d consider getting a nice radio and then add a free standing screen device of whatever size you like on top of the dashboard for cameras and GPS. Angled towards the driver, closer to eye level and maybe bigger all would make the visual stuff more useful and let the smaller radio just handle the tunes. Radio should be pretty easy to replace assuming it has a Ford connector. If it does (check first - you never know with Thor) and if you buy a new radio from Crutchfield they’ll put the connector on for you and then it’s literally plug and play.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:56 AM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/Vanku-Android...+10.1+&sr=8-17

Single din 10.1 inch android 10 radio.

Challenge accepted.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:53 PM   #9

THOR #21738
That is awesome. Thank you. Now I need to find one like that with Apple Play. We have it in our other cars and become accustomed to it now.