Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2021, 06:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 38KB
State: Idaho
THOR #23240
2021 Thor Outlaw 38KB Godzilla Ford 7.3l TSB 20-2370 nightmare, help!!

Greetings, I need help and don't know where to turn. This is a long story that involves my new 2021 Outlaw 38KB with the new 7.3l gas motor (2020 F53 chassis).

I had a mechanical failure (3-14-21) related to Ford Tech Service Bulletin 20-2370, which is spark plug wire failure. They run very close to the unshielded exhaust manifold and in an extended climb, they get too hot and break down internally.
In my case I was climbing 13 miles out of Death Valley Towards Beatty, NV. After 10 miles the check engine light came on and it started to run rough. I made it to Beatty and called Ford Roadside. It was a Sunday and Ford Roadside couldn't send a tow because they couldn't locate a dealership that could receive my rig, they told me I'd have to wait until Monday.
Being dead in the water in Beatty, NV, I researched the problem on some forums and came up with the TSB that seemed to describe my exact problem. Thankfully there was great cell phone reception there. I removed spark plug wires one-by-one and I had at least 2 dead cylinders. This TSB also affects the SuperDuty line of trucks with the same motor.

First thing Monday I called the closest dealership (Las Vegas 120 miles away) to check stock on the new wire kit. The 4 Vegas dealerships were out of stock but Rush Truck Center in N. Las Vegas had 2 sets.
I called back Ford Roadside and they said their only option was to tow me there. I called Rush back and they would be the tow for Ford Roadside, $2,400 or send a service truck, $600. If I was towed there, they would be unable to work on it for several days. I couldn't waste several more days and this was also 120 miles in the opposite direction I was traveling.

I located a very nice lady who runs a courier service in Vegas. She went to Rush, picked up the wires I had paid for over the phone ($588.69) and delivered them to me for $175. I had them in-hand within a couple hours, gave her a $40 tip, 15 minutes to install them and I was on my way ... engine running perfect again.

Upon returning home, the check engine light remained on, I attempted to clear it by touching the unplugged battery wires together to no avail. I hooked my OBD Scanner up and was able to successfully clear the codes and the light went off. I don't have a competent RV dealer even remotely close to me so I have performed most of my Thor warranty stuff myself. I also don't have a Ford Auth RV dealership close.

Fast forward to current, I had submitted a claim for reimbursement after returning home March 15th. I recently received a check for $200 from Ford Roadside but not to cover the parts. I have attempted to contact Ford so many times I've lost count. Every department I speak to passes me to another whom they claim can help, or I get disconnected, or they give me a number which goes to an unrelated business. Some departments ask you to leave a message on what sounds like an answering machine recently purchased at a garage sale. When/if they call you back it sounds like they're in a chair on their backyard pool deck. For such a large organization, they are inept when it comes to customer service.
I've contacted; Ford RV Assistance, Consumer Affairs, Ford Protect, Ford Recall Dept., Customer Relationship, Ford Fleet, Ford Roadside and Ford Tech. I have spent literally hours and hours, probably 40-50, trying to get this resolved, including a trip to my local Ford Dealership which has helped me with a previous claim, to no avail. Circles and circles I'm sent in and MAJORLY frustrated !!

Old 05-03-2021, 10:59 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Wow. That’s quite an adventure. And good for you finding your own path. Looks like you’re down by about $600. I’m no expert but I suspect you’ve only got about a 50/50 chance of getting Ford to reimburse you even if you find your way to the proper decision maker. Your warranty probably requires Ford to authorize or make the repairs while you chose (for good reason!) to do the work yourself. 50/50. You might have to count your blessings and go camping. But it’s certainly worth continuing the effort. Good luck, too.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:21 PM   #3

THOR #23240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Wow. That’s quite an adventure. And good for you finding your own path. Looks like you’re down by about $600. I’m no expert but I suspect you’ve only got about a 50/50 chance of getting Ford to reimburse you even if you find your way to the proper decision maker. Your warranty probably requires Ford to authorize or make the repairs while you chose (for good reason!) to do the work yourself. 50/50. You might have to count your blessings and go camping. But it’s certainly worth continuing the effort. Good luck, too.
Thanks. I had to file a previous claim in February for a different issue and it was processed thru my local Ford Dealer's warranty dept. I'm not sure why Ford advised me this time to go thru their claims dept. and not the dealer again, but maybe because it involved a roadside claim. I already tried the dealer but I think I'll try again and tell them to process it as a parts claim only.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:14 AM   #4

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Nebraska
THOR #5967
One way, hold on a minute.
I was a 40 year Ford dealership parts guy. My daughter is currently the head warranty administrator for a Ford dealership with 3 locations. She has been in her position for 27 years and knows Ford inside out! She is here tonight for dinner as i read this so i had her read it. Her reaction was like mine. BS is what she said of what they are putting you thru. You should NOT have to pay anything, NO towing, NO service call, NO parts. In the AM she is going to talk with the 40+ year service mgr and they will tell me the correct procedure to follow to get this all handled properly for you! Will post tomorrow with the correct info.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:01 AM   #5

THOR #23240
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlyclaus View Post
One way, hold on a minute.
I was a 40 year Ford dealership parts guy. My daughter is currently the head warranty administrator for a Ford dealership with 3 locations. She has been in her position for 27 years and knows Ford inside out! She is here tonight for dinner as i read this so i had her read it. Her reaction was like mine. BS is what she said of what they are putting you thru. You should NOT have to pay anything, NO towing, NO service call, NO parts. In the AM she is going to talk with the 40+ year service mgr and they will tell me the correct procedure to follow to get this all handled properly for you! Will post tomorrow with the correct info.
I agree ... it's been quite a process. I appreciate the research on this, thank you!!
Old 07-27-2021, 10:43 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Michigan
THOR #24317
call our Motorhome CAC at 800-444-3311

Hope this helps
Old 09-02-2022, 09:13 PM   #7

State: Arkansas
THOR #22589
Appreciate your post. I’m having the same problem. Will you please send me the order number for the correct spark plug wires? Thank you. LarryDD
Old 09-02-2022, 11:47 PM   #8

THOR #23240
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDD View Post
Appreciate your post. I’m having the same problem. Will you please send me the order number for the correct spark plug wires? Thank you. LarryDD
The Ford TSB # is 20-2370 https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10183414-0001.pdf
The part number for the 8 plug wire kit is LC3Z-12286-C