Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2022, 03:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #25247
2022 Axis 24.1 Wheel Alignment Specs

I am having difficulty finding wheel alignment specs for the 2022 or current Axis 24.1 on a E-350 chassis. Ive called Ford and Thor and neither could/would help. I googled, but came up with older models that are 2004-2008 and want to be sure that the specs haven't changed. I would appreciate your help.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:15 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Why don't you ask a nearby truck alignment shop? I haven't seen any numbers for the new V8 chassis, but I suspect they won't be any different from the older V10 chassis- up to 5.5 degrees positive camber which is what you want for best handling.

How does your 2022 Axis 24.1 handle? My 2021 which should be the same, handles quite well. I have considered doing an alignment job to make it 5.5 degrees caster, but I am guessing I am almost there. I get decent return to center forces with the stock chassis.

David
Old 01-10-2022, 04:28 PM   #3

THOR #25247
Overall, it handles fairly well. The steering feels a little loose but overall, I didnt have any white knuckle experiences yet but the wind was below 25mph. The steering wheel is pointing at 11 o’clock so I think an alignment is needed.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:52 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by FScottH1 View Post
Overall, it handles fairly well. The steering feels a little loose but overall, I didnt have any white knuckle experiences yet but the wind was below 25mph. The steering wheel is pointing at 11 o’clock so I think an alignment is needed.
My steering seems tight. Yes, my steering wheel is also off center, but I'll live with it.

David
Old 01-10-2022, 06:01 PM   #5

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Before anything, make sure your tire inflation is correct. Assuming the vehicle tracks correctly and does not have a pull, or wander, etc. then the steering wheel centering correction is simply done via 4 wheel alignment and is easily accomplished with a 4 wheel system without changing any specs outside side of front to rear toe relation. Actually, back in the day, I corrected this type of issue on my vehicles in the drive way.

But I agree with other posts, that if the off center wheel is off just "a little" off, it is more annoying than anything else. But do keep in mind that road crown will cause you to lead the wheel a bit left if the crown is sufficient. :-)
Old 01-10-2022, 09:33 PM   #6

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Specs

specs attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1FC3E3KN1NDC13743.pdf (98.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-10-2022, 11:44 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
alignment

First, these is my and only my recommendations; they are not endorsed by anyone. Camber needs to the straight up with a conventional suspension, rear wheel drive, for a vehicle used mostly on highways. Some vehicles have excessive camber gain to prevent tire scrub during great suspension movements. Then there is front wheel drive with power steering with its problems. With the large anti-roll bars on most motor homes, wheel deflection is greatly limited.

On to caster - more the positive caster, the more the steering wheel will stay centered, hands off. Positive causes the front of the coach to be lifted when the steering wheel is off center. This force is known as the centering effect. The more positive caster, the more the effect is felt. Excessive caster can cause tire scrub when the wheels are turned off center, so there is a happy medium (personal preference) in caster settings. I like 5 degrees in my cars without power steering and 6 degrees positive in the Hurricane.

Lastly is toe. Excessive toe will cause fast tire wear. Toe-out will make the vehicle turn great and quick, but tends to make the vehicle darty and unable to hold a straight course, especially when at speed. As much as 1/2" toe-out is used in autocross racing, so the car cut (react fast) going into corners. Toe-in makes the car track straight and makes it lazy (slow to react) when the steering wheel is turned. I like 3/8" toe-in over one tire rotation - 33". Yes, the tires will wear out faster. Probably in less than 50,000 miles on my coach, but with 7 years and 42,000 miles, it time to change the tires anyway. I did not speak to king pin angle. For all practical purposes on an F-53 chassis, it is fixed and was figured into all alignment calculations.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:31 AM   #8

THOR #25247
Thanks everyone. With the help from someone on this forum, I was able to obtain the actual specs. Found an authorized repair shop, albeit 75 miles away, I will have them align and perform another repair to the fuel line which is likely bent (can only pump less than 1 gal per min)