Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
27XPS makes RVBusiness news

A day or two after being discussed in this forum, the Coachmen Pursuit 27XPS appears in RVBusiness promoted as a motorhome that is “worry free”.

https://www.rvbusiness.com/blog/coac...r-pursuit.html

It’s also “perfect for Walmart Camping and the National parks since it’s under 30 feet”, and “the non-slide Class A motorhome is the only one of its kind. In an industry when everyone is racing to add more electronics and gadgets, we focused instead on convenience and easy to operate features.”

I respect that Coachmen took a risk with a non-slide Class A, but the $72,999 MAP and mention of “a new entry level Class A price point” suggest building a cheaper or more affordable motorhome was their primary objective.

It appears RV marketing doesn’t see that minimalist can also want advanced and high quality designs. Unfortunately, this new basic floorplan may give non-slide motorhomes a bad name.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:04 PM   #2

THOR #2121
Mixed bag of old and new?

Looking for information on manual overhead bunk in the 27XPS, I found a video that not only shows operation of the bed, but also makes the motorhome look different than in Coachmen web pictures (at least to me).

The bedroom looks wider as in other motorhomes with queen beds.

The short wheelbase doesn’t make the rear overhang look too long as I expected.

Some handling upgrades, like shocks, come from factory.

The fridge is 10.7 cubic foot 12V compressor type. There are no vents on motorhome exterior wall behind fridge, making MH look cleaner. I really like use of a 12VDC compressor fridge.

Downside is it appears to be an off brand with little-known compressor brand, and motorhome only comes with one 12V battery. That’s got to limit run time, although adding battery capacity and or solar is a simple fix.

Air conditioning is limited to one 15,000 BTU/hr unit, which is probably no worse than the larger Axis/Vegas considering the 27XPS has no slides. Still would be nice to have 2 X 11,000 BTU/hr option while keeping 30A and 4K generator electrical.

There’s no outside TV, at least listed on base unit. Not sure how often I’d actually use one anyway.

Not as bad as I first thought, but still way too large for our needs. If anyone sees one of these in person, I’d love to hear your take on this unusual motorhome.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I like the "perfect for Walmart camping" as if Walmart is a destination and not just a stop over LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:00 AM   #4

THOR #2121
What I like best is the concept of “enjoying the journey as much as the destination”. Having access to everything while on the road just like when parked is a huge advantage for those of us who spend a lot of time on the move.

Now, if someone can only find a way to shrink the size to no larger than an Axis 24.1.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:24 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
What I like best is the concept of “enjoying the journey as much as the destination”. Having access to everything while on the road just like when parked is a huge advantage for those of us who spend a lot of time on the move.

Now, if someone can only find a way to shrink the size to no larger than an Axis 24.1.
Yeah they have to ditch that F-53.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #6

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You’re probably right, because that 29-footer is already on the lightest F53 (16,000-pound chassis). If any smaller and therefore lighter it would likely ride too harsh.

The problem manufacturers face is that the E-350/E-450 has enough vehicle weight rating for smaller Class As like Axis/Vegas, but the front track is too narrow unless the motorhome body is tapered inward at front. I’m guessing most manufacturers don’t want to do what Thor did with Axis/Vegas.

In my opinion the first Class A on E-Series chassis looked goofy with straight sides so I doubt we’ll see that again unless motorhome is made very narrow, or Ford offers a wider front track again on E-Series.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:02 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
You’re probably right, because that 29-footer is already on the lightest F53 (16,000-pound chassis). If any smaller and therefore lighter it would likely ride too harsh.

The problem manufacturers face is that the E-350/E-450 has enough vehicle weight rating for smaller Class As like Axis/Vegas, but the front track is too narrow unless the motorhome body is tapered inward at front. I’m guessing most manufacturers don’t want to do what Thor did with Axis/Vegas.

In my opinion the first Class A on E-Series chassis looked goofy with straight sides so I doubt we’ll see that again unless motorhome is made very narrow, or Ford offers a wider front track again on E-Series.
I think that there is another issue with E-Series chassis along those same lines: The driving position.

On the E-Series chassis the driving position is further back and lower than on the F-53. You can see this when you sit in the driver's seat of an Axis/Vegas unit--your sight lines to the instrument cluster are just a little bit too high. (That step up to the front isn't really necessary and would likely make driving an Axis/Vegas a tad bit more comfortable.) In addition that dash is really deep.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I applaud Coachmen for bringing out a 'slideless' and maybe less mechanically worrysome RV options, on a ClassA platform, for many who might certainly find this attractive...

while many of us love our full wall 'slides', and our new 'technology', many may just like the more 'basics' of RVing - no slides to be concerned with, and actual wall SWITCHES for lights and things, etc... I think we'll see this model sell well, and it may prompt others to do something similar.

If you remember several years ago, after the popularity of newer 'compact' diesel pushers came on the market, and were very successful, like our Palazzo, others decided that maybe a 'smaller' or 'shorter' ClassA was actually a good idea - now you have the NEWMAR NewAir, which is 34' and has sold extremely well.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:23 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Quote:
I think that there is another issue with E-Series chassis along those same lines: The driving position.

On the E-Series chassis the driving position is further back and lower than on the F-53. You can see this when you sit in the driver's seat of an Axis/Vegas unit--your sight lines to the instrument cluster are just a little bit too high. (That step up to the front isn't really necessary and would likely make driving an Axis/Vegas a tad bit more comfortable.) In addition that dash is really deep.
I can’t recall the name of the Class A motorhome that was built on the E-Series stripped chassis in ~ 2011 to 2012 just before the Axis/Vegas, but the manufacturer left the driver and passenger seats at normal elevation (like on Class Cs), which made the cab seats better suited to rotate back and become part of the living area. Those riding in back also had a better view of the road, sitting at same height.

I would like to see a manufacturer build a small, simple, slideless gasoline Class A on a SRW chassis around 11,000 GVWR (same as previous Sprinter). About the size of the Winnebago Via/Reyo, with an interior optimized for a couple and occasional 2 guess or 2 children. Units as large as this 27XPS with seating and beds for up to 6 is larger than many retired couples need. I’d prefer smaller if I can get 12 MPG on gas versus the typical 8 MPG of average Class As and Cs.

I hope TurnerFam is correct and this is the beginning.

By the way, I saw it advertised at $69,995.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:15 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
One of the bonuses of owning a 24.1 is the slide is not needed. Recliners Recline with it in.
Ours has a pretty big problem:
If we put the slide out when on shore power, it pops the breaker for the land line. Not the coach breaker, not the our surge protector, not house 12v or generator, just the shore breaker. The slide goes out, gets within an inch of fully extended, then pops shore power. Put slide back in, all is well.
I'll probably live with it since the alternative may be cw employees having to remove the entire slide. I haven't bothered to play with house breakers to isolate the bad circuit because we just don't use that slide.
I'm sure it's a 110v wire too short grounding out when pulled by the slide.
The 24.1 is slidelesss... If you don't use the slide....

So, the dream vehicle you ask for exists. Buy one.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:54 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

.....cut....

So, the dream vehicle you ask for exists. Buy one.
That’s the most I’ve laughed in a while.

A slide that doesn’t work makes it slideless, which makes it a dream to own.

Thanks, but I’ll continue to pass on slides. The only advantage is greater space (which can also be accomplished with added length), yet comes with many disadvantages. In the size motorhome I want/need, adding a foot or two to length and rearranging floorplan accordingly is a better choice for us.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:06 AM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:

To your previous point of ditching the F-53 for an E-Series stripped chassis (presuming that’s the main option for a compact Class A gasser if it’s not an F-53), I finally found the motorhome that preceded the Axis/Vegas.

The Gulfstream Montaj was built on an E-450 chassis starting in ~2010, and as can be seen in attached pictures, the floor was lower and flat up through cab area. Because of extra width at front of motorhome compared to a Class C or even an Axis, space between front seats is very generous.

However, it can be seen that seats are lower (closer to frame/road), which makes doghouse relatively taller; similar to that of a Class C. Seats are also a little further back compared to an Axis, making motorhome a little longer.

The second picture shows how far inward front tires seem compared to body. In person it looks even worse IMO. Unless Ford starts to offer a wide-track option, one solution is to build a narrower Class A similar to Via/Reyo. If MH body was only ~ 90” wide, the front wheels wouldn’t look so out of place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	98D6A505-6A15-48E6-A85E-F6171F2E9B69.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	18164   Click image for larger version

Name:	0494D528-9BF5-4BC7-8893-2994CAD95D54.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	18165  

Old 06-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Yeah bigger doghouse for sure. I don't think that looks that bad, however.

I do like Thor's solution of tapering the front--it might even help a little with aerodynamics ! LOL In addition, after having the Axis for 5 years now I don't mind the sightlines to the dash that much. It did feel a little odd at first but is nothing now.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
.....cut.....

I do like Thor's solution of tapering the front--it might even help a little with aerodynamics ! LOL .....cut.....
I think you’re correct, it probably helps with aerodynamics a lot, although I think tapering the front to adjust for narrow track must not appeal to motorhome manufacturers.

In order to simplify and downsize Class As below where they need the 16,000-pound GVWR F-53 chassis, there really aren’t any great chassis choices on which to build a smaller traditional MH. Decades ago there were smaller versions of the F-53 with 16-inch wheels and much lower GVWR.

You may get a kick out of an old Ford advertisement promoting the Econoline for Class A motorhomes. I see only E-350 with 11,500-pound capacity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2E03FC61-1B66-444B-A907-0BA57178C8FB.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	18169   Click image for larger version

Name:	0C9E980E-A026-4733-9C9F-264EE8C82F96.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	18170