Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2016, 12:28 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #2898
Exclamation Thor Vegas E-350 Towing Info Request

Hello Vegas/Axis owners

Getting ready to tow a vehicle behind my RV and I would like to know what I should expect when using the towing function on my E-350. This is the first time towing and I wonder if I should always place the towing function on or just when approaching the mountains. I assume lower fuel economy but what about shifting?

Does any one have experience towing with a Vegas, just looking for a few words from experienced driver. Starting a trip from Nashville, TN to Portland Oregon soon.

Thanks for any information you can share. Will reread manual soon about this topic before heading out.

FYI, Using a Master Tow Dollie with surge brakes to transport vehicle.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:55 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I've pulled a couple of cars around with our Axis (Escape and Focus Electric; this year I'll also be towing my new C-Max) and our Acme Dolly (also with surge brakes).
Tow-haul mode or not you're still pulling an extra 4000lbs + behind the camper so mileage is reduced no getting around that.

Having said that I typically won't notice the car back there unless I turn on the rear-view camera or make a turn sharp enough that the car appears in the rear-view mirror.

When Tow-Haul is on it will hold the lower gears longer and you get the down-shift while going downhill when you tap the brakes (I've used this feature even when not towing; just turn on Tow-Haul and tap the brakes).

Usage of Tow-Haul comes down to if you like to hear the V-10 scream or not; some people don't. The V-10 engine is built to rev (overhead valves) and doesn't mind running all day at 4k RPMs. With Tow-Haul on it will run at a higher RPM due to holding the lower gears longer. Note that it does reduce some gear hunting in some situations simply due to the different shift pattern.

I usually leave Tow-Haul off while driving on flat ground and turn it on while driving through hilly terrain.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
I use the tow button most often for slowing down and don't typically cruise with it on. If the speed and load conditions cause repeated shift transitions, I'll use it to help reduce the transmission's tendency to shift back and forth between gears for that specific speed and section of road. I usually prefer tow mode off for accelerating from a stop.

Just try turning tow mode on for the various conditions to see/feel what mode fits and after awhile you learn when to select the modified shift point logic tow mode provides.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
You can find previous discussions on this with a search of the forum. It is covered in the Ford manual that should have come with your coach.

Tow/haul changes the shift points. It helps especially with the downhills. Engine braking reduces wear on the brakes. Yes, if you leave it on your mileage will suffer some, and the engine noise will be some louder.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:54 PM   #5

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
Angelo, just leave the tow/haul mode alone. You do not really need it for towing a vehicle. My PT Cruiser weighs 3200 lbs. , and I tow in regular mode all the time. Let the tranny shift when it wants to. It is computer-controlled, and senses loads, speed, and it learns your driving habits. I DO use the tow/haul mode for hill descents, as it enables engine compression to keep speed down without taxing them brakes. You can enable tow/haul when ascending steep hills to keep the engine in the high rev range, 3500-4500 rpm, if you wish, but it really is not necessary. The V-10 has enough torque to pull hills without much fuss. Gas mileage will not be impacted much towing a toad. I get 9-10 mpg., towing my toad. Not much better without towing it. Check the Ford owners manual if you want correct info on the tow/haul feature. I find this feature very helpful for mountain descents.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:39 PM   #6
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgebo View Post
Angelo, just leave the tow/haul mode alone. You do not really need it for towing a vehicle. My PT Cruiser weighs 3200 lbs. , and I tow in regular mode all the time. Let the tranny shift when it wants to. It is computer-controlled, and senses loads, speed, and it learns your driving habits. I DO use the tow/haul mode for hill descents, as it enables engine compression to keep speed down without taxing them brakes. You can enable tow/haul when ascending steep hills to keep the engine in the high rev range, 3500-4500 rpm, if you wish, but it really is not necessary. The V-10 has enough torque to pull hills without much fuss. Gas mileage will not be impacted much towing a toad. I get 9-10 mpg., towing my toad. Not much better without towing it. Check the Ford owners manual if you want correct info on the tow/haul feature. I find this feature very helpful for mountain descents.
We have a 'smart' transmission in our car ... we, daily, drive a steep hill .. it is so nifty the way it down shifts with a slight touch of the brakes .. Regarding the Ford E450 .. we will certainly enjoy that feature in our new Axis 24.1 .. previous units with E350, we always geared down manually on hills.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #2898
Smile Tow function

Thanks everyone! Great feedback on use of the tow function. Looks like this feature is best used when descending hills. I plan to tryout the tow mode around town just to get the feel.

Thanks again, so much expertise on this forum.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:35 PM   #8

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
tow

Does axis have tow haul switch where is it
Old 03-31-2016, 06:49 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Yes, at the end of the transmission shift lever on the steering column. Tap it once to turn T/H on and tap again to turn it off.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:45 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #1812
I pull a Mini Cooper behind my Vegas some of the time. Never use tow mode. Vegas has plenty of power, and tow/haul mode costs fuel economy , not to mention increased engine noise 😱
Old 03-31-2016, 10:37 PM   #11

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
I tow a Jeep and the Axis does great with it. Get about 1 MPG less when towing.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #12

Model: 2014 Four Winds 22e
State: Illinois
THOR #1715
I don't like using tow mode. Holds gears to long before up shifting. Down shifts while decelerating to stop sign/light or coasting down a hill which pushes the engine towards 4,500-5k rpm...... I don't ever use it and like it better that way !!
Old 02-07-2017, 11:15 PM   #13

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
I Have the 15 Axis and loaded the 5 Star Tuning. Towing!! Awesome...