Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2021, 07:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Georgia
THOR #18370
5 Star Tuning

Just wondering if anyone out there in the Group has tried this 5 Star Tuning Company with positive results. I have a 2018 Class A Miramar with the Ford Chasis and the V10 engine. Runs okay... But what the heck... If there's something out there to make it better... Go For It! Right?

Old 12-14-2021, 08:24 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
On a six speed transmission it is almost worthless.
This is proven by their own demonstration on a hill climb.
There are benefits for the older transmission.

Seat of pants.
2hp gains at 5200 rpm.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:35 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I don't have your coach, but I had a tune done on my Mercedes Sprinter diesel which at first was great. A few months later when we went cross country, it developed a conflict in the tune which was a big issue while towing our car. When we got back home and after the dealer attempted to correct the issue, I had the tune removed. It is now back to normal with no issues. My tune was done at a local shop that was highly recommended by many who had it done. It ended up costing me the $500 for the tune.

Paul
Old 12-14-2021, 10:09 PM   #4

THOR #13932
I'm not anti-tune.
I am anti-hype, fan boy, cult.
My 8.1L 502ci 500hp Big block has a blackbear, personally tuned by the MAN himself, tune.
My 4.3 190hp has a 'bought in a box' tune.

If there was a v10 tune worth anything other than statistics, I'd have one.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:56 PM   #5

THOR #7580
My experience has been more positive than what I'm reading here. Maybe it's just me.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:57 PM   #6

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
My experience has been more positive than what I'm reading here. Maybe it's just me.
On a six speed?
Tell us.
I might be wrong.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:07 AM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I did the tune on a 2016 F53 coach. It had the 5 speed transmission and the ONLY benefit I found was the altered shift points. It really helped with that. But now having a 2019 with the 6 speed I would expect to see no or minimal change. The newer transmission is nicely matched to the engine and the coach.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:27 PM   #8

THOR #7580
Mine has been more power, less downshifting and a smoother transmission.
Old 12-25-2021, 08:47 PM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #13370
I have a 2015 25.1 Axis and got the 5 Star after a couple of trips. I have the 5 speed and it is night and day for me, it used to downshift 5th to 3rd at any incline but now it almost never does and does the hills with no speed loss, lugging or whatever. For me it has been excellent. Easier to control the shifting with the gas pedal too. I think it is a more dramatic improvement with the 5 speeds from what I have been reading.

Flipper
Old 12-26-2021, 12:29 AM   #10

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper003 View Post
I have a 2015 25.1 Axis and got the 5 Star after a couple of trips. I have the 5 speed and it is night and day for me, it used to downshift 5th to 3rd at any incline but now it almost never does and does the hills with no speed loss, lugging or whatever. For me it has been excellent. Easier to control the shifting with the gas pedal too. I think it is a more dramatic improvement with the 5 speeds from what I have been reading.

Flipper
I have a 5 speed, and it's been great with the 5 star. Same experience as you have had.
Old 12-26-2021, 04:09 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Whether or not the 5 Star tuner works for your six speed depends on the coach's weight and what you expect. If you have a heavy coach and are looking for more power, look elsewhere. If you have a light coach and want a different shift profile with crisper throttle response, 5 star is what you need. It took three different tunes for me to get the transmission to shift where I wanted. The original shift profile had the coach shifting into 6th at 52 mph and the engine rpm dropped to 1,700 rpm. Now the trans shifts into 6th at 62 mpg or 2,000 rpm. This allows cruise at 55-60 mph in the TX Hill County or bucking a 25 mph headwind without shifting out of 5th. The downshifting when coming to a stop is much more aggressive keeping the engine in the 2,200 to 2,700 rpm range. In tow/haul the engine throttle is more aggressive allowing higher rpm without the gas pedal being floored forcing a downshift. In short, no more power just letting the engine operate where it has more power. I am sure the engineers thought fuel mileage and low engine noise was what the owners want. In my case I just wanted to keep the engine rpms where the engine was the happiest.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 04:20 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 32D
State: Ohio
THOR #10339
Smile Big Plus for 5Star Tuning

I tuned my 2012 Hurricane 32D and immediately noted additional power and torque. I can go up mlld hills without downshifting and if I add some foot pressure to open the carburetor it actually will upshift again and continue up the hill. When on TOW, it makes it a lot smoother with revised shift points.
My cruise RPM are 100 RPM lower even with a toad.
I'm a believer.
Old 12-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
I don't have the Five Star but the Ultra RV tune (also SCT based). It improved the throttle tip in and it downshifts a little more aggressive costing downhill, providing more engine braking. The best feature is that it lets the speed drop a little more before downshifting when the cruise is set while going up a hill.

I averaged 8.5 MPG towing a Ford Focus on our trip to Mount Rushmore (about 2000 miles roundtrip).

A tune will not turn your RV into a hotrod but to me it improves the driving experience and is the $500.00.