Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2021, 06:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #22114
Used Motorhome Professional Inspection

How many of you have done a professional inspection before buying a used motorhome...pro/con?

Old 03-02-2021, 07:19 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
i would just use the 103 page checklist posted somewhere
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:37 AM   #3

Model: Aria
State: New Jersey
THOR #17864
We found a Class A that we liked but it was out of state and we wanted to move on it quickly. We hired a local inspector and we were very happy with his work. He provided a full inspection report with pictures.

We were able to use his report as a full "punch list" for the dealer to address before pick-up. It cost about $1,000 but we felt it was well worth it.
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Newf026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:47 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Did it help with your price negotiations?
Old 03-03-2021, 01:40 PM   #5

THOR #17864
It did a little, but we had a very good price before the inspection. What was important to us was that it identified things that they had to fix before it left the lot.

This was a new 2019 that we bought in late 2020 so it had been sitting around for over a year. We were nervous about that, although everything was still under warranty as a new RV.

The other issue we had was that we did not have the time to travel to the dealer and we wanted to lock down the deal quickly. Having an experienced inspector really helped us feel confident in closing the deal with a very specific punch list.

The dealer stepped up to doing everything on the punch list so ultimately we felt like we got a very nice MH at a really good price.

If this had been a used RV then I think the inspection issues would promote more discussions around "either fix it or take it off the price".
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Old 03-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #6

THOR #20220
Good job. Enjoy the fresh camping air
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 03-03-2021, 04:19 PM   #7

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donica View Post
How many of you have done a professional inspection before buying a used motorhome...pro/con?
If you cannot do the inspection your self it would be wise to hire a professional. Inspecting the roof and any water damage should be high priority. Not all owners do the required maintenance.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:25 AM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #20774
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbykid View Post
If you cannot do the inspection your self it would be wise to hire a professional. Inspecting the roof and any water damage should be high priority. Not all owners do the required maintenance.
I agree with this.

... if you are distance buying sight unseen, especially used, I'd highly recommend hiring an inspector. The practice has certainly saved me from buying something that was not quite described accurately!
Old 03-04-2021, 05:41 AM   #9

Model: Majestic 23A
State: Missouri
THOR #20977
When I purchased my former CA rental, I had an inspection company check it over first. I believe I paid $500 for their service. I also had a fluid analysis done on the engine and tranny. Since I was new to the world of RV living, I felt the inspection was good insurance by having an experienced professional look the unit over. I received a very detailed report which I'll give to the new buyer when I decide to sell the unit, along with my logbook of repairs and improvements.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:15 AM   #10

THOR #22114
2015 24.2 Vegas

I'm going to have a professional certified rv inspector do the inspection.

The dealer wants $699.95 to do a PDI, starter kit/LP Fill for $149.95 and a Private Tag Agency fee(?) of $99.95. The price is very good and they are putting new tires on it. I don't know what kind...any I should avoid?

The deal was price was very good so not sure if these extra charges are justified. I'm dealing with Gerzeny's in Florida. I'm newly widowed and have never done anything like this without my man.

Thank you for your input.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:57 AM   #11

THOR #20220
We paid zero for our PDI? PROPANE was free?

The dealer wants $699.95 to do a PDI, starter kit/LP Fill for $149.95 and a Private Tag Agency fee(?) of $99.95.* The price is very good and they are putting new tires on it.* I don't know what kind...any I should avoid?*
Old 03-05-2021, 06:14 AM   #12

THOR #22114
I'm going to tell them no on the pdi, the starter kit, They also want the 3rd party inspector to approve the coach for sale for both parties! I'm paying for it, the only thing I can think of is if I walk they get to use the report to help them sale to the next buyer! Am I right in this thinking?
Old 03-05-2021, 06:16 AM   #13

THOR #22114
I agree propane should be filled. What does it usually cost, average wise, to fill the tank on a Vegas 24.2?
Old 03-05-2021, 06:17 AM   #14

THOR #22114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner View Post
When I purchased my former CA rental, I had an inspection company check it over first. I believe I paid $500 for their service. I also had a fluid analysis done on the engine and tranny. Since I was new to the world of RV living, I felt the inspection was good insurance by having an experienced professional look the unit over. I received a very detailed report which I'll give to the new buyer when I decide to sell the unit, along with my logbook of repairs and improvements.
I'll make sure to have the fluid analysis too.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:19 PM   #15

THOR #17864
Not sure if you have your inspector picked already but we used https://rvqualityinspections.com/

The guy's name was Art Horton out of FL (our rig was in Orlando). He was very nice to work with. He sends you everything he will check and it does include all the fluids. He found that the coolant in ours had to be replaced which the dealer did.

Good luck!
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Old 03-05-2021, 02:14 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Charging for a PDI?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Charging for a PDI?
Camping world does it everyday. In fact all the fees mentioned sounds like the typical CW dealer.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:34 PM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donica View Post
I'm going to tell them no on the pdi, the starter kit, They also want the 3rd party inspector to approve the coach for sale for both parties! I'm paying for it, the only thing I can think of is if I walk they get to use the report to help them sale to the next buyer! Am I right in this thinking?
I would not provide the dealer an inspection report you paid for.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:16 PM   #19

THOR #20220
they sound greddy.. tell them you belong to this massive group and no one has paid these fees
Old 03-05-2021, 03:35 PM   #20

THOR #22114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf026 View Post
Not sure if you have your inspector picked already but we used https://rvqualityinspections.com/

The guy's name was Art Horton out of FL (our rig was in Orlando). He was very nice to work with. He sends you everything he will check and it does include all the fluids. He found that the coolant in ours had to be replaced which the dealer did.

Good luck!
I have given him call. Thank you so much.