Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2016, 02:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
50 amp to 110 current

i have a 50 amp motor home, my question is I would like to connect a 50 amp plug through an adapter to 110 house current. Nothing other than a refrigerator 24 hours prior to leaving for a trip, and lights would be turned on. This would be done in order to charge the batteries. Does anybody do this?

Old 02-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #2

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Connecticut
THOR #3421
I had my electrician connect a 50 amp shore plug to the side of my house, makes life a bit easier and doesn't seem to trip 20 amp fuses.
Found it worth the $ and don't have drop down cords coming from coach, just cleaner for me, although it's perfectly ok to do it the other way.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
i have a 50 amp motor home, my question is I would like to connect a 50 amp plug through an adapter to 110 house current. Nothing other than a refrigerator 24 hours prior to leaving for a trip, and lights would be turned on. This would be done in order to charge the batteries. Does anybody do this?
Yes... I've done it with both 30amp and 50 amp motor homes... and for same reasons - cool the fridge and charge the batteries.
(In mine only the AC units, Microwave, and electric option on water heater can't be run in that configuration...)

On my list to put at least a 30amp outlet in the garage for convenience (and to be able to run/test more) - but if you limit what you turn on - you are fine...

I run the RV power cord to my SurgeGard, then the adapters into an outlet in garage. SurgeGard gives a display of what I'm using (typically no more than 1-3 amps on one leg) - and still provides it's surge protection.
The garage outlet is GFCI protected (as any outdoor or wet location outlet should be...)

I did not find a 50amp to 15amp adapter - though it may be made... I have a 50amp to 30amp 'dogbone' and 30amp to 15amp adapter I use together for this.