Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2023, 12:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
50 AMP PWR chord arcing

Has anyone removed the external power adapter and found a way to route the 50 AMP pwr chord to the transfer switch on a THOR ACE? The external pwr receptacle is prone to water intrusion after a hard rain.

Again my pwr chord end has had arcing damage. I purchased a new cable yesterday from CW, but need a permanent fix. The perfect spot is taken up by the ONAN 5500 generator.

There is a compartment fwd, that just has the water pump, i could fit the cable in there?

I am open for any suggestions.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:06 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: Florida
THOR #27719
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
Has anyone removed the external power adapter and found a way to route the 50 AMP pwr chord to the transfer switch on a THOR ACE? The external pwr receptacle is prone to water intrusion after a hard rain.

Again my pwr chord end has had arcing damage. I purchased a new cable yesterday from CW, but need a permanent fix. The perfect spot is taken up by the ONAN 5500 generator.

There is a compartment fwd, that just has the water pump, i could fit the cable in there?

I am open for any suggestions.
Not all ACEs are the same. Providing your year and model may help you get better answers.

You say your 50 amp receptacle is prone to water intrusion after a hard rain. How is yours more prone than the thousands of other 50 amp receptacles on RVs across the nation?
Old 05-22-2023, 01:42 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
50 AMP PWR chord arcing

Easily done if you want. Just cut the coach end off and route the cable to the transfer switch and switch the wires. If that scares you just put in a junco box to connect the power cord to the severed end of the wire from the inlet to the ATS. Personally I think you’re addressing a problem that doesn’t really exist.
Old 05-22-2023, 02:55 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I think he is saying his 50 amp plug receptacle gets wet. ( but it is kind of hard to follow?

That receptacle should be replaced assuming it is properly connected.

At the same time, I believe I have in my setup which I modified to do exactly what he wants. I make the mod because I did NOT want a hard wired surge guard. I bought the 34951 Bluetooth and it was pricey; so I never wanted it outside. In my case, my ATS is in dedicated compartment that I call Electrical Bay. I bought a 6ft 50 amp cord that was ready made to connect direct to ATS. The other side I simply keep curl up inside the electrical bay plugged to my Southwire Surge Guard. The actual Shore power cord is plugged into pedestal on male end and the female end comes thru a 4 inch deck hole on the bottom floor of my electrical bay. So it plugs to my 6" extension inside the electrical bay which is always dry

But I did this for two other reasons.

#1. My Portable $400 Surge Guard is always concealed and locked.
#2. I no longer had to pull that long & heavy 50 amp shore power cord all the way back through that 4" deck hole to put the shore cord back up in Electrical bay. Today I just roll it up and toss in the electrical bay, which is what I think OP means by his generator compartment would be perfect.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote