Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2022, 09:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20A
State: Florida
THOR #26167
AC run time on batteries

Any 2022 or so Thor Tellaro owners out there running A/C on batteries and not connected to shore power? How long is run time ?

Old 03-06-2022, 09:34 PM   #2

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
A typical RV rooftop A/C draws 16-18 amps at startup and uses about 13 amps to continuously run the A/C. For example, a 100 Ah lithium battery will power a typical 15,000 BTU RV AC unit for about 30 minutes. If you’re RVing in hot weather, running your AC for 30 minutes likely won’t do much to increase your comfort. However, if you had a bank of eight 100 Ah batteries, it would run for about four hours. This may be just enough time to beat the heat in the hottest part of the day.

It would be one expensive output to install an inverter and a bank of 8 100Ah lithium batteries to run the A/C without shore or generator power. It seems to me running the generator is a much less expensive route. The generator in my Vegas uses about 1/2 gal of gas per hour. But again, that 16-18 amp draw at A/C startup means you are going to have to shutdown a lot of other 120VAC things when the A/C starts.

But there may be owners out there actually doing this who will pipe in and tell me I'm all wet. I accede to their actual experience.

Here's a link to more information: https://battlebornbatteries.com/run-...ium-batteries/
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 01:23 AM   #3

THOR #26167
Thanks

Did some research looks like mine has a 12V AC, fairly new in US markets that runs off battery
Old 03-07-2022, 06:07 PM   #4

State: California
THOR #26170
Question A/C on Lithium batteries

The question about A/C on lithium batteries has not been answered. Trying to ascertain how long the A/C can run if that is the only appliance and if the Lithium batteries are fully charged but the unit is not plugged in to shore power. How long will the A/C run on a 20L Sequence before draining the power of the Lithium battery?
Old 03-07-2022, 06:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy and Fred View Post
The question about A/C on lithium batteries has not been answered. Trying to ascertain how long the A/C can run if that is the only appliance and if the Lithium batteries are fully charged but the unit is not plugged in to shore power. How long will the A/C run on a 20L Sequence before draining the power of the Lithium battery?
Too many unknowns:

Age/Actual capacity of the batteries?
Define "drained"
No other appliances? How about control power which is always on?
Efficiency of the inverter.
And the biggest unknown: What's the ambient temperature? Which leads to duty cycle of the compressor and actual current draw; not to mention cloud cover which affects both radiant heat into the RV and solar input.

Science is hard!

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:43 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfam5 View Post
Did some research looks like mine has a 12V AC, fairly new in US markets that runs off battery

Since you have 12V air conditioner, does that mean you have the +/- $24,000 optional 800 Amp-hour lithium system? If so, your motorhome should have an underhood alternator/generator in place of the standard 2,800-Watt Onan generator. And if so, it should charge batteries as needed to keep air conditioner powered.

The standard Tellaro has two lithium batteries which probably can’t power 11,000 BTU/hr air conditioner very long (I would expect just over an hour under harsh conditions). With optional 800 Amp-hour lithium system, fully charged batteries should power an air conditioner through the night (10~12 hours may be possible with no sun and cooler nighttime ambient temperatures).

Depending on your actual equipment and cooling conditions, run time could vary from an hour to over 10 hours. Just trying to say that comparing performance to others should be on same basis, otherwise of little value in my opinion.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:31 PM   #7

THOR #26167
Chance

Thx for posting, your assessment lines up exactly with what I got from the Thor Representative.

AC should run 10 to 12 hrs depending on what else we are running, then the auto start will turn on motor and second under hood alternator to re-charge the 2 Lithium House batteries (charge time about) two hrs.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:07 AM   #8

THOR #26170
Batteries and A/C

So confusing. We have been told that our model (Dodge Promaster with Thor 20 L housing 2 Lithium batteries) will not auto-start when the batteries are low. When we were first introduced to the motor coach the salesman touted this feature, then re-canted. The auto-start would be nice. Any way to find out other than by testing it?
Old 03-12-2022, 08:24 PM   #9

State: Alabama
THOR #13946
If you have solar panels you can run all day. i have driven 8 hours with Fig. and 1 a/c on. Note you can only run 1 a/c. You should be able to do the same things as if you were on 30amp shore power. Note, i said if you have solar panel. My Thor cane with it
Old 03-12-2022, 11:31 PM   #10

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Ac run time

Your air conditioner uses AC power your batteries are DC power.
You have to plug in or use your generator to use your air conditioning
Old 03-12-2022, 11:36 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeace29.3 View Post
See post #3 above

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 12:02 AM   #12

State: Alabama
THOR #13946
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeace29.3 View Post
Wrong if you have a converter. I can run almost anything on no external a/c
Old 03-13-2022, 03:23 AM   #13

THOR #26167
Actually, camping now and ac is by two lithium batteries via 3000w inverter that converts power to 120v. They are recharged by solar panel and another alternator under hood of ram 3500 truck.
This is new to us RVs but has beds in use in Europe for a while.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:12 AM   #14

THOR #26263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfam5 View Post
Any 2022 or so Thor Tellaro owners out there running A/C on batteries and not connected to shore power? How long is run time ?
I just bought the 2022 Sequence 20L. 200ah lithium batteries with 190 w solar. As far a how long the AC runs on battery and solar is to be determined for now. Thinking this set up is fairly new and lot of RV’ers are not familiar with this set up. No generator, no auto start feature. So running on straight battery inverter, solar and van idling the second alternator to charge up batteries, again remains to be seen. Hoping to test out soon, maybe….
Old 04-08-2022, 12:15 AM   #15

THOR #26170
I concluded the same. Too new for anyone to have a good answer as yet. We're on an extended trip, so maybe I'll have an answer myself, although we will probably use the a/c mostly when we are plugged in to shore power. Boondocking may be a bit beyond our comfort zone for this trip. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2022, 12:40 AM   #16

THOR #26263
Quote:
I concluded the same. Too new for anyone to have a good answer as yet. We're on an extended trip, so maybe I'll have an answer myself, although we will probably use the a/c mostly when we are plugged in to shore power. Boondocking may be a bit beyond our comfort zone for this trip. Thanks!
Great, enjoy trip- if you learn anything new about these control panels by all means- post- all foreign to me. 🤭
Old 04-08-2022, 05:08 AM   #17

THOR #26170
Well, we did learn that in order to view the control panel on our smart phone, we needed dealer help since the 4 buttons shown in the Youtube videos and instructions are absent on our model. You have to use the light and vent switches in the bathroom. How could anyone figure that out on their own? But I love having the controls on the phone!
Old 04-08-2022, 12:08 PM   #18

THOR #26263
Quote:
Well, we did learn that in order to view the control panel on our smart phone, we needed dealer help since the 4 buttons shown in the Youtube videos and instructions are absent on our model. You have to use the light and vent switches in the bathroom. How could anyone figure that out on their own? But I love having the controls on the phone!
Ha, yes we did get that instruction on our Pdi, person hooked up and had hard time doing so- thought it was only the light switch in bathroom?
Old 04-08-2022, 04:37 PM   #19

THOR #26170
Quote:
Originally Posted by CY20L View Post
Ha, yes we did get that instruction on our Pdi, person hooked up and had hard time doing so- thought it was only the light switch in bathroom?
It may have been. I had to hook up the second phone myself and may have used the wrong switch first, but I seem to remember 2 steps, one using each switch. Fuzzy now, but unless we change phones, it's done!
Old 04-13-2022, 11:19 AM   #20

THOR #26263
Quote:
It may have been. I had to hook up the second phone myself and may have used the wrong switch first, but I seem to remember 2 steps, one using each switch. Fuzzy now, but unless we change phones, it's done!
HI, hope trip going well, question for you. I believe you have the same inverter control panel as I, has 3 little black buttons at the bottom. Tell me when you press the left on on yours, the on/off button does it shut off or on fairly quickly?
The other 2 buttons move the amps (30) up or down immediately but my on/off button I press and press nothing happens. Is there a trick to it?

Thanks