Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2015, 09:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Draining water heater

If I open the low point drain on the hot water line under the passenger twin bed in my Vegas 24.1 will that also drain the water heater tank? Similarly, if I open all 3 low point drains (cold, hot, and fresh water tank), will that completely drain the entire fresh water system?

2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:08 PM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
NO & NO. You have to drain the hot water tank seperately. Opening the 3 valves will drain MOST of the water but not enough to survive cold weather. Either blow it out (what I do) or pump RV antifreeze thru it or head south of I-10. (what I do)

Good luck

Bill
Old 09-03-2015, 11:07 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.1
THOR #1503
The hot water heater has a drain on the front. Remove it and leave it out for the winter. Turn off the 110v breaker for the hot water heater. This is precaution to ensure you don't switch on the hot water in the spring before you have filled the heater.

Also, there will be a bypass valve to isolate the hot water heater so when you pump the pink antifreeze through your system it will not fill up the hot water heater. You will also find a hose near your 12v water pump to use to pump the antifreeze into the water lines.

Close the low point drains and open each faucet in turn until it runs pink. This will also help to fill your drains with antifreeze. Pour some down the toilet. Don't forget the outside shower.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
If I open the low point drain on the hot water line under the passenger twin bed in my Vegas 24.1 will that also drain the water heater tank?
Old 09-03-2015, 11:56 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
Bill & Bruce:

Thanks for the info.

But we live in Tampa, and will be using the Vegas down here throughout the winter. I wasn't thinking in terms of winterizing per se -- but I'd do the compressed air rather than antifreeze. I'm not a fan of removing the water heater Teflon plug because I think that is one area that could be prone to leakage -- especially at that awful angle.

What I was really thinking about is I don't necessarily like that 6 gallons of water sitting in the tank waiting for the next trip. At the temperature down here -- to me that thing would just turn into an incubator. I just wanted to be sure that if I opened the 3 low point drains and hooked the compressed air adapter into the city water connection and put about 25 psi through the lines, I'd get most of the water out of the system.

When I retired from the AF we had settled in Hummelstown PA (first town SW of Hershey. We loved it there but after last winter's deep freeze and terrible snowfalls we decided retirement had to be more than shoveling snow and having your nose freeze shut. Picture shows snow in our parking spot last Mar. Thus -- the migration to Tampa.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140216_134754420.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	750  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:36 AM   #5

State: Florida
THOR #1249
You don't have to be concerned with winterizing your RV in Tampa. Never have to do it here in Ocala, even if it dips below freezing for a few hours. Also, you may consider this mod; remove the nylon plug from your HW heater, install a 2" cpvc threaded nipple, a 10 or 12" flex hose, a valve and drain it conveniently over the side with no mess. Hose and valve fold away under burner inlet. That is one of the first things I do on a new RV. Pulling that plug is a PIA each time you want to drain and clean the HW heater.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Great idea mcr. What kind of shutoff you put on Hose?
Old 09-04-2015, 02:19 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
And what kind of hose are you using. I really like this idea. How about a pic?
Old 09-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #8

THOR #1249
Here is a pic of the HW heater hose assy. in the stowed position. Most of the items are available at hardware stores, Lowes etc. I have a Lowes within a couple of miles of me and use them frequently.
The valve is a common 1/2" pvc threaded ball valve. You will need a closed or 1" threaded nipple if you use the std. hose fitting. I think you can get the hoses 1/2" x 3/8" FPT ends also, but it takes a little longer to drain with the 3/8" valve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3115.JPG
Views:	600
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	751
Old 09-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #9

THOR #2020
Excellent. I was trying to figure out what kind of flex hose you used. The picture answered the question very nicely. Looks like something I'm going to do.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I'm south of I-10, barely, but I'm South of it
so I'm not trying to get every last drop....
But the way I see it is this.
The outlet piping connection is at the same height as that drain plug.

So,
opening the low point drain.... or what I have done was use the outdoor shower since it's below the heater....
and then popping open the heater's relieve valve to vent it
should drain the tank to approx the same point as pulling the drain plug

Maybe a bit of water left in there.... I'm not sure.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #11

THOR #2020
I like to drain the water heater if the coach is not going to be used for a couple of weeks. In the past I have had the water start to smell a bit if it was left in the water heater for too long. I could fun the water for a while after hooking back up but that would take a while. I prefer to drain the tank if it will sit for more then a week. The water in the lines is not an issue because I run them to flush them out every time I hook up.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:09 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Although I like the concept behind the drain hose mod for the water heater I like to go one step further during the draining process. When I drain my water heater I use a wand to also flush the inside to remove any loose debris or mineral deposits. I use a wand like this Camco and go in through the water heater drain.

Amazon.com: Camco 11691 Water Heater Tank Rinser: Automotive
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:09 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Although I like the concept behind the drain hose mod for the water heater I like to go one step further during the draining process. When I drain my water heater I use a wand to also flush the inside to remove any loose debris or mineral deposits. I use a wand like this Camco and go in through the water heater drain.

Amazon.com: Camco 11691 Water Heater Tank Rinser: Automotive
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:13 PM   #14

THOR #992
Just installed my house on water heater. Had to us a brass nipple because the plug hole is aluminum so I need something softer to get it sealed. Thanks MCR1010 it was a great idea, now I can easily drain the water heater and hopefully deter or prevent bacteria between travels.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 35SK
THOR #2366
If you elect to put the nylon drain plug back, go to Home Depot and purchase some food grade, high temp teflon paste. It is that white sticky stuff you currently see on the plug. With it, you don't have to tighten as much to get a good seal.

Fred
Old 09-09-2015, 04:31 PM   #16

THOR #2020
I bought the parts last night for the water heater drain. Had to go to a hardware store. Stopped at Lowes, Home Depot and Menards and could not find what i needed at any of them. Even at the hardware store i had to step down to a 3/8" valve since they did not have a 1/2 x 1/2 flex hose. Going to try to get it installed this weekend.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:41 PM   #17

THOR #992
3/8 works great. It drains fairly fast.