Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
Poor craftmanship

Has anyone experienced this? We just purchased a 2016 Miramar 3 weeks ago. While preparing for our first trip, my wife pulled the plastic off our king sized mattress. What we noticed was wood screws popping through the beds plywood ¼ inch into the mattress, over 12 of them. Needless to say, these screws shredded the bottom of the mattress. We just filed a complaint with the company and are waiting for a response. My question is this; should there be some sort of separation between the mattress and the plywood in the form of a pad? Please respond if you have had this experience, thank you.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I haven't seen that specific issue, but we have found Many poor quality issues with our 2015 Hurricane. Take it in and make Thor fix it and replace the Mattress.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I had a similar issue with my Forest River class c. The problem was found when we lifted the mattress to check the under bed storage during the PDI and was corrected before we took delivery of the coach.

Since my folding dinette chairs are stored under the bed in the Challenger I also checked that area on this coach during PDI and did not find anything out of the ordinary.

I agree with Bruce. Take it back to the dealer and have the mattress replaced under warranty.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:08 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
There have been many threads on RV quality and it has been determined that the RV industry has zero quality control. All you can do is have it fixed and move on down the road.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #5

THOR #3584
I made contact with Thor this morning, they were very helpful stating they will replace the mattress. They were trying to figure a way to deliver it directly to my home, so I did not have to travel to the dealer. I will advise on how this issue progresses. Thank you
Old 02-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
I made contact with Thor this morning, they were very helpful stating they will replace the mattress. They were trying to figure a way to deliver it directly to my home, so I did not have to travel to the dealer. I will advise on how this issue progresses. Thank you
Out of curiosity, what are the protruding screws supporting in the bed frame box underneath your mattress?

Did you yourself repair the root cause of the problem, the protruding wood screws?
Old 02-29-2016, 05:06 PM   #7

THOR #3584
They are wood screws that hold wooden supports to the bottom of the bed plywood. They obviously used the wrong size to accomplish this. What bothers me is that someone did not see this and just threw a mattress on top of them, these screw ends came through 1/4 inch. I trimmed them down and covered any sharp areas with duct tape.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:07 PM   #8

THOR #3584
Thor said they would do the right thing, and if so, then it's just a small bump in the road, again as long as they do the right thing.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #9

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Thor will tell you to have it covered under warranty from the purchasing dealer. You can call Thor for the part number. Then call the dealer and find out who there deals with warranty issues. You will need your VIN. The dealer should order it and have it drop shipped to your location.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Thor will tell you to have it covered under warranty from the purchasing dealer. You can call Thor for the part number. Then call the dealer and find out who there deals with warranty issues. You will need your VIN. The dealer should order it and have it drop shipped to your location.
My experience with Thor is that for certain items there is no need to go through the dealer. Thor will ship directly to your house. The do however ask that the old part be returned and they provide the pre paid shipping label for the return shipment. I have done this twice with Thor. One time since I was requesting an item that had never been installed (missing bulb seal) they did not request return of a defective item.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #11

THOR #3584
Well Thor was true to their word, a king size mattress was delivered directly to our house with no problems.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:49 PM   #12

State: Alaska
THOR #3993
We just bought our Miramar last week and in 4 days found 26 problems in quality control. Things not working, outlets wired backwards, bed backboard panels falling off the wall, screws missing, vents not attatched, etc. It is the worst "NEW" item I have ever purchased. I would be ahsamed to put my name on that quality of work.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:21 PM   #13

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #1350
I bought a new 36.1 Palazzo last year and have so many issues such as what your all talking about. My dealer has handled all my issues for me. The worst part of it all is the down time!!
This spring we discovered the drivers side wall has seperated from the bottom floor. There is about a 1/2 inch gap from front to rear. My dealer says the factory wants to fix this problem. But theyve not responded to our emails as to confirm they will cover the repair and have not given us a repair date. We have to drive from our town Courtenay B.C. to the factory. 4000 kms one way!!
Hard to plan our annual summer trip!!
Old 04-17-2016, 11:52 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by sujim View Post
I bought a new 36.1 Palazzo last year and have so many issues such as what your all talking about. My dealer has handled all my issues for me. The worst part of it all is the down time!!
This spring we discovered the drivers side wall has seperated from the bottom floor. There is about a 1/2 inch gap from front to rear. My dealer says the factory wants to fix this problem. But theyve not responded to our emails as to confirm they will cover the repair and have not given us a repair date. We have to drive from our town Courtenay B.C. to the factory. 4000 kms one way!!
Hard to plan our annual summer trip!!
Wow.... sorry to hear about that. You would think they would come down to where you are at before putting all that mileage on you couch. That is more miles than some travel in a hole year.... I would think the dealer could also fix something like this. When looking around under mine I can see where all the main wall bolts go through the floor and wouldn't think it would be that much of a big deal unless the bolt broke or routed away already. Dam I really hope they can fix it for you with out any other damages to the sides of the walls them self. Might even be easier for them to just give you a new couch.... or could get very lo
ucky and the main bolts could just be loss....
Old 04-17-2016, 11:54 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Love to see a few pictures....
Old 04-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #16

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #1350
Angry

I failed to mention that the basement floor has become saturated with water. The factory has to replace the entire floor. Ive no idea how they will do that. There are so many things attatched to the floor. This is why the local dealership thinks its better that the factory does this.I want this repaired asap so I can plan my summer trips.