Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2020, 11:34 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishging View Post
2021 has a V8 with more horsepower than the previous V10. I just bought a 2021 ACE 33.1. Haven’t used it so can’t say much. We love the floor plan though.
Interesting. I wonder why it did not show up in the specs on the Thor webpage. Those specs show only the V10.

I would also like to know about the V8. My last RV had the V10 and it was a great and reliable engine. A bit thirsty, but very reliable.

Old 08-19-2020, 11:45 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Interesting. I wonder why it did not show up in the specs on the Thor webpage. Those specs show only the V10.

I would also like to know about the V8. My last RV had the V10 and it was a great and reliable engine. A bit thirsty, but very reliable.

My understanding is Ford ran out of the V10 chassis and started substituting the V8 in mid year. It does have a few more goodies and a a nicer console.

Thor told me that they haven't yet published a new 2021 brochure. So what you often download is the 2020 version.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:07 AM   #23

State: Arkansas
THOR #19914
We bought it 2 weeks ago. It had 1,200 miles on it. Drove it 200 more miles, but regretfully its back in the shop. The dash AC would only cool when idling. Shop called and said the part has been ordered, but I’m not exactly sure what the issue was yet.

Admittedly I haven’t used it much, but definitely seems to be powerful enough to get the thing down the road. Any of these gassers are probably gonna be thirsty.

I’ve seen the same thing about no 2021 brochures. I had to watch a YouTube video about the 2021 ACE line to hear someone talk about the V8. Its a 7.3L. Most of those Ford F3 chassis’s also come with a 10sp transmission. Sadly the chassis Thor got don’t.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:18 AM   #24
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishging View Post
We bought it 2 weeks ago. It had 1,200 miles on it. Drove it 200 more miles, but regretfully its back in the shop. The dash AC would only cool when idling. Shop called and said the part has been ordered, but I’m not exactly sure what the issue was yet.

Admittedly I haven’t used it much, but definitely seems to be powerful enough to get the thing down the road. Any of these gassers are probably gonna be thirsty.

I’ve seen the same thing about no 2021 brochures. I had to watch a YouTube video about the 2021 ACE line to hear someone talk about the V8. Its a 7.3L. Most of those Ford F3 chassis’s also come with a 10sp transmission. Sadly the chassis Thor got don’t.
No they don't. Show me one. All the RV manufacturers get the same engine/transmission combos on the F53 chassis.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:53 AM   #25

State: Arkansas
THOR #19914
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
No they don't. Show me one. All the RV manufacturers get the same engine/transmission combos on the F53 chassis.

Oops, you are right. I mis-remembered. The SuperDutys are getting a 10 speed. But the F53 chassis aren’t.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:47 AM   #26

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
Been looking at new units and am really liking the ACE 33.1 but also ran across the Hurricane 32T which also seems like a very nice unit and a little bit shorter than the ACE 33.1 but has the theater seats and a Fireplace too .

So many reviews say stay away from the Hurricane line that it is one of Thors most problematic models.

Any truth to that or is it one of those past stories that keeps roiling along? Any comments from any Hurricane users?

Also how about you A.C.E. owners? We really do like those models. Seems like a lot of "bang for the buck".

Appreciate any input. Were not in a hurry. Just looking for input. I really rather wait for a 2021 model with the new warranty and the new Ford V8 anyway.

Thanks in advance
We looked at the A.C.E. when I wanted to get a bigger RV. Had a 2017 Axis 25.2. The only thing that made it a bad choice for me was the windshield was too low to see out of. I'm 6'6" and I wanted to large front windshield to see ALL of AMERICA when we travel. Ended up getting a 2018 Windsport 29m which is the identical floorplan to the Hurricane only different color schemes and I think it's a Camping World only coach made for them. I love mine and it has had plently of problems but all got fixed and I'll continue to fix them because thats what you do when you own an RV, fix things that break, wear out and vibrate to death. Get used to it and buy the coach that's "Right for You"!!!! is my best advice. I'll say this---I love the dinette in the ACE!!! The wrap around top cushions were super comfortable and would pay to have mine replaced with them!!! Bob Trice
Old 10-14-2020, 05:41 PM   #27

Model: Hurricane 32T
THOR #20883
Hurricane 32T

Just recently upgraded to a 2021 Hurricane 32T. Love the floorplan, look, and the way it drives. Has the new "Godzilla" 7.3L V-8. Very happy so far.

I have heard complaints about the slides on the Ace but not sure if these are isolated or widespread.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:16 PM   #28
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by fny007 View Post
Just recently upgraded to a 2021 Hurricane 32T. Love the floorplan, look, and the way it drives. Has the new "Godzilla" 7.3L V-8. Very happy so far.

I have heard complaints about the slides on the Ace but not sure if these are isolated or widespread.
They're the same slides used in Hurricanes and Challengers.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:56 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:

You need a new Avatar...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1602701775
Attached Images

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:01 PM   #30

THOR #20883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I like it
Old 10-14-2020, 09:56 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It's yours now.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:44 PM   #32

THOR #20883
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
They're the same slides used in Hurricanes and Challengers.
The complaints I’ve heard are about the Ace though. Anyone having trouble with the slides on a newer Hurricane?
Old 10-14-2020, 11:15 PM   #33

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Colorado
THOR #10103
2017 ACE 29.2 25K miles. Let’s see major issue, replaced the slide system once. The slide topper 3 times and replaced all the hydraulic lines in the leveling system. Other than that its just tighten everything that comes loose. Did all the handling stuff now it rides like your daddy’s Caddy! Pulls my Jeep just fine.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:17 PM   #34
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
The complaints I’ve heard are about the Ace though. Anyone having trouble with the slides on a newer Hurricane?
The ACE. Hurricane, and Challenger are all built on the same line using the same slides and slide system. Does that make more sense now?
Old 10-15-2020, 01:53 AM   #35

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I'm gonna go against the grain and tell you to avoid all Thor products. Make your new coach a Tiffin or Winnie.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #36

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
Been looking at new units and am really liking the ACE 33.1 but also ran across the Hurricane 32T which also seems like a very nice unit and a little bit shorter than the ACE 33.1 but has the theater seats and a Fireplace too .

So many reviews say stay away from the Hurricane line that it is one of Thors most problematic models.

Any truth to that or is it one of those past stories that keeps roiling along? Any comments from any Hurricane users?

Also how about you A.C.E. owners? We really do like those models. Seems like a lot of "bang for the buck".

Appreciate any input. Were not in a hurry. Just looking for input. I really rather wait for a 2021 model with the new warranty and the new Ford V8 anyway.

Thanks in advance
We have had 2 Thor coaches. A 2017 Axis 25.2 and a Windsport 29m. I didn't realize how small the Axis was til we owned it for 8 months. Told the wife I love RV-ing and want something bigger. She agreed, so the hunt began. Wanted a Fleetwood Flair but the shower was the size of a gym locker. Then a Coachman Pursuit, but no room to get around in the bedroom and the drivers seat had no leg room---I'm 6'6". Then it came down to the ACE or the Windsport. I loved the floorplans equally, especially the dinette seats that wrap around at the wall, both had plus's and negatives but what ended it for the ACE was the small windshield and sitting high in the seat made it so I had to crane my neck just to drive it. I LOVE THE WINDSPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have done too many mods to list but everyone has given you good advice. Only you can decide. Just don't get hooked on anyone saying one is better or will give you better service than another. ALL RV'S, even from the factory will have issues, problems, loose plumbing connections, broken stuff, rattles to track down, adjustments to be made and frankly things you just want to change or improve. I'm the king of the latter. Thor and Camping World in Statesville, NC has been awesome in taking care of us when ANYTHING has been needed, even after the warranty expired, CS has gone above and beyond seeing that our coach is always rolling down the road. I'd recommend the Windsport or the Hurricane, they are cousins, over the ACE but I just like the large ($3000) LOL windshield better. Good luck in your search, it is worth the time!!!!!! Bob & Wendy Trice
Old 10-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I'm gonna go against the grain and tell you to avoid all Thor products. Make your new coach a Tiffin or Winnie.
In spite of having a Tiffin: I'll say that a thorough PDI with a great Dealer; will make up the difference.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #38

THOR #6513
Thanks to all

I just wanted to post a thank you to all. I really appreciate all of the comments!
Old 10-15-2020, 02:39 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
So now: it's time to "Shop 'til you drop!"
Have fun, and good luck!
Old 10-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #40

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
So now: it's time to "Shop 'til you drop!"
Have fun, and good luck!

We plan exactly that. We are waiting until after the elections and see if the US survives it!!. Then we are going to start looking in DEC-FEB. We've even thought about doing a camping trip to tour RVs