Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Generator question

I have an Onan RVQG 4000 generator in my 2017 Vegas. Owner manual says to run it at least monthly at 50% load for two hours. I understand running it periodically when not in use to get old gas out new gas in and for lube purposes but two hours seems like a long time. What's the consensus out there?

Old 08-15-2016, 04:45 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry B. View Post
I have an Onan RVQG 4000 generator in my 2017 Vegas. Owner manual says to run it at least monthly at 50% load for two hours. I understand running it periodically when not in use to get old gas out new gas in and for lube purposes but two hours seems like a long time. What's the consensus out there?
2 hrs a month seems a bit much, however
I put "Sta-Bil" in the tank on the last trip home for the season, and give it another dose after last fuel fill. (never store with out full fuel tanks, keeps condensation to a minimum) .
I run the gennie for 1 or 2 hrs after storing to insure that the Sta-Bil is run thru the gennie before winterizing.
then an hour every month, turning on the A/C and the microwave for the hour to insure that the gennie is working under a constant load.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #1249
I usually try to run mine about 15 mins. with the AC on maybe once a month. Could be more or less. Sometimes I crank it up to run the air comp. or charge the batteries. When traveling in warm weather and stop for awhile, I crank it up and start the AC to keep the inside from heating up and taking forever to cool down.
Two hrs. a month seems like a lot of running for just the sake of running.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #4

THOR #4986
Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate your time very helpful.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry B. View Post
I think they want to ensure it generates heat to dry any moisture that may accumulate in the inverter.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #6
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Generator

I would do what the people who designed and built the generator tell you to do. That's why they supply a Manuel.

Kev
Old 08-15-2016, 09:46 PM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I would do what the people who designed and built the generator tell you to do.

Kev
I follow the two hour instructions. I think it is easier and cheaper in the long run rather than having to pay to replace a carburetor and the service charge along with it.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:37 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The carb on the genny has a decent sized bowl thus it takes a while to burn through all the gas in there. The reason for 50% or more is to open up the secondaries.

At least that is what I was told...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:24 AM   #9

THOR #4986
Got it. Thanks all
Old 08-16-2016, 08:41 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Honestly, it feels like I run the thing as much just for the sake of running it, as I do for actually needing it..... and I'm not hitting even close to the 2 hours a month many months.

for what its worth, I do pretty much the same as saddlesore, using stabil and keeping the tanks full.
I understand it like brucev though, that the 2 hour number is more than just about keeping the gasoline fresh. There's also brushes in the generator, etc.... that need to keep dry.
But 2 hours running is a lot in a month, especially if the RV is in storage. My RV sits unused sometimes for 6 weeks or more. Sometimes i'll try to go run the genny during that time for a while, but about as much as it gets sometimes might be 20 minutes or so.

I'll also note that this summer in the high temps my genny has been less than happy, with a lot of shut downs....
Is that because I haven't been running it enough?