Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Idaho
THOR #2373
Sorry Camping World

Bought a brand new 2015 Ace 30.1 in Feb. Camping World put a new Nature 3000 Converter/Charger and 1 extra battery. $4500.00 The converter hasn't worked correctly since they put it in. If I dry camp the batteries only last 3 to 4 hrs then I'm on the generator. CW says they don't know whats wrong with it and won't work on it or even return my calls anymore even though its still under warranty. Im 2.5 hrs away from the nearest dealer.
Any help? Mike

Old 11-08-2015, 12:40 AM   #2

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
I think you have an inverter/charger. What brand batteries do you have and what are their specs? What specifically is their 20 Ah rating? A picture of the battery would help.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:04 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
I've heard people say when they added an Inverter/Converter and not just an inverter it causes problems with the factory Converter. I read that unhooking the factory Converter solved there problems. That may be worth a try. For what they charged you they should certainly take care of any problems.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:14 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMACE View Post
....cut.... If I dry camp the batteries only last 3 to 4 hrs then I'm on the generator. .....cut.....
Any help? Mike
Mike, you need to specify what you are running for the 3 or 4 hours. Any 3,000 watt inverter can run a couple of normal/typical batteries down in an hour or less, so depending on what you are running the 3 to 4 hours you are getting may be expected. Maybe even excellent. It all depends on wattage.

It's also important to identify the total capacity of your battery system. The first thing I'd do is a simple energy balance. It may reveal a problem, or perhaps that you are getting what the system can deliver.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:21 AM   #5

THOR #2373
Sorry about reading your thought on my problem, my dog broke his leg and I have given him all my time.
I will look at the RV tomorrow and hopefully get some answers Thanks, Mike
Old 11-09-2015, 02:25 AM   #6

THOR #2373
Thanks Chance Refridge is on gas and no heater. Pretty much running interior led lights, 12v TV and a laptop. This is after driving 5 to 8hrs.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:30 AM   #7

THOR #2373
Hi Forest I'm running three 12v batteries. 2 of the original batteries and 1 that CW added. I will take a picture and get some information off them Thanks
Old 02-03-2016, 02:33 AM   #8

THOR #2373
I'm not sure if I should put a new post, or how to, but my problems continue. I am on my 4th inverter/charger. They have failed in one year. Two 12 Volt batteries were Hunter Batteries out of Ohio and one battery is Elite from C/W. I drove from Pheonix to Boise Idaho with my new inverter and one new Elite battery which cooked on the drive. I just changed my batteries to 4 6volt batteries. My warranty is up February 9.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:43 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I'm not sure if I should put a new post, or how to, but my problems continue. I am on my 4th inverter/charger. They have failed in one year. Two 12 Volt batteries were Hunter Batteries out of Ohio and one battery is Elite from C/W. I drove from Pheonix to Boise Idaho with my new inverter and one new Elite battery which cooked on the drive. I just changed my batteries to 4 6volt batteries. My warranty is up February 9.
Was the inverter/charger an after market installation or was this a replacement inverter for one that was standard installation by Thor? If it was the former there may be a conflict where the OEM converter/charger and the after market inverter/charger are in conflict with each other causing your batteries to cook.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:46 AM   #10

THOR #2373
C/W told me that I have to contact Harris Battery for warranty for my dead batteries ???
Old 02-03-2016, 02:52 AM   #11

THOR #2373
C/W installed a Nuture Power 3000 Inverter/Charger and an extra 12V baterry so it was an after market. I don't know where the original converter would be. C/W put in a sub panel and a transfer switch so I don't know if they would have taken out the original converter.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:11 AM   #12

THOR #2373
C/W installed a Nuture Power 3000 Inverter/Charger and an extra 12V baterry so it was an after market. I don't know where the original converter would be. C/W put in a sub panel and a transfer switch so I don't know if they would have taken out the original converter.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:00 AM   #13

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3186
It's in your electrical control panel. Right side bottom. It's output wiring should be disconnected. What size wiring do they use. DC and AC?
Old 02-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
One definite issue might be your batteries. When you put batteries in parallel, if they are not the same type/capacity and even age, you can have issues.

Typically the battery with the lower capacity (either due to AH rating or age) will charge first and can be seriously overcharged before the other two batteries reach their fully charged state. Since the batteries are all in parallel; with no isolation; and only a single charger, the charger cannot know that one battery is charged before the others. In fact the charger does not know you even have more than one battery.

This is why you should always change all of your batteries in a parallel configuration whenever you have a battery problem. The fact that you cooked one battery is evidence the batteries have different capacities.

Camping World should have told you they need to replace all three batteries.

And yes, you should disconnect either your converter's charger when using an inverter/charger or disable the charger function of the inverter. Chargers work by sensing the battery voltage. As the battery discharges, it's voltage will be lower, which causes the charger to raise it's voltage, resulting in a higher charge rate.

If you have two chargers connected to a battery, each charger will not be able to differentiate the battery voltage vs. the other charger's voltage (which will always be higher than the battery). Consequently, each charger will interpret the other charger's higher voltage as battery voltage, and drop it's voltage as it thinks the batteries are charged more than they are.

There is some hysteresis going on here between the two chargers, but at some point they will be in equilibrium at a lower voltage than needed to rapidly charge the battery. Depending on the design of the chargers, you may still get some charge; most likely a trickle charge; but the chargers output might take many hours to fully charge the batteries (if they even fully charge).

I would fix the problem by disconnecting/disabling one of the chargers and replacing all of the batteries at the same time with ones of the same model, brand, and age.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #15

THOR #2373
Thanks I did replace the three 12 volt batteries with four 6 volts batteries. I will go to C/W and ask if the original converter has been disconnected or removed. They would not replace the original batteries when they went bad because they said Thor or C/W did not warranty the batteries that I had to call Harris Batteries in Ohio. Harris said that they didn't cover the batteries because Thor had trouble with inverters and that is why their batteries were going bad. They told me this even before I told them about my inverter problem. Dosen't Thor or C/W have to warranty the batteries on a brand new coach?
After all this my V10 engine started oscillating badly when acellerating on the ride home after the new batteries were installed. Coincidence??? Dose anyone know why my engine is doing this? 15,000 miles on engine..
Old 02-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
I had problems with the original Harris Batteries from the start. They would go dead in about a week with no load. I replaced them both with Interstate and so far, no problems.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #17

THOR #2373
Thanks Bruce. I didnt know which was a better battery between Interstate and Trojans.
Mike
Old 02-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #18

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Snip
After all this my V10 engine started oscillating badly when acellerating on the ride home after the new batteries were installed. Coincidence??? Dose anyone know why my engine is doing this? 15,000 miles on engine..
Check out the link below. Sounds like the same problem as yours with a solution.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...cane-2625.html Post #1
Old 02-04-2016, 02:44 AM   #19

THOR #2373
Does anyone know why my V10 engine would start oscillating when going up a hill or when accelerating . Maybe fuel pump starving for gas? It almost feels like a computer or timing thing
Old 02-04-2016, 10:49 PM   #20

THOR #2373
My only door on my coach locks by itself? I steps outside the RV and left the coach running and shut the door. Both sets of keys were in the coach and the windows were locked so I had to call a locksmith to open it. It worked for about 12 openings and shutting the it locked again with me in it. I couldn't get out even though I could lock it and unlock it manually. Finally pushing and pulling it opened. Anyone had this problem?

Camping World says they have a new policy of any warranty work RV has to be left no waiting. They want it left at their store until its fixed??? I explained I don't live locally and they said to go somewhere else.
Has anyone put a class action lawsuit against Camping World?