Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2024, 01:24 AM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP View Post
If I understand your question correctly, just cutting the wires will not “bond” the neutral. If plugged in it will give you a hot, potentially exposed and dangerous wire.
Like I say maybe I’m not understanding the question.
That's the way I understand the question, so no, a cut-off plug will not do anything but expose people to 120 VAC.

It you cut off the plug plus a few inches of cord, stripped back the ground and neutral wires and connected them together, and completely insulated the end of the hot wire then it would be a ground bonding plug.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 01:42 AM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That's the way I understand the question, so no, a cut-off plug will not do anything but expose people to 120 VAC.

It you cut off the plug plus a few inches of cord, stripped back the ground and neutral wires and connected them together, and completely insulated the end of the hot wire then it would be a ground bonding plug.
Quote:
If I understand your question correctly, just cutting the wires will not “bond” the neutral. If plugged in it will give you a hot, potentially exposed and dangerous wire.
Like I say maybe I’m not understanding the question.
I think you both answered my question. I was wondering if inside a regularly manufactured 3 prong electrical plug with ground if the neutral and ground were bonded together? If so; assuming you cut off the excess wire and had it safely sealed so as to not be a safety hazard if it would work. Apparently not? But I guess if I was in a pinch, I still could make one for free but have to stripped back the ground and neutral wires and connected them together, and yes I would insulate the hot wire.

The one that I have was almost just as simple, instead of simply buying a ready made neutral bonded to ground plug, I bought a male end of extension cord plug from Lowes and instead of connecting to the wires from an extension cord; I ran a jumper from neutral to ground. It is perfectly sealed with no hot wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240609_210253.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	46393  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 02:00 AM   #23

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
Very useful info. Thanks. I guess one issue is my concern over my RV being stolen with the engine running and I'm not nearby. Besides having a Waggle camera on board and "the Club" on the steering wheel, are there other useful anti-theft devices to consider?
This video is now dated, but it is what I saw when I knew I was a must have AGS kind of guy. I would never own an RV without. We use on every trip and run it as primary. For us it is no different that the thermostat in the house, it is always on. We never have low batteries or hot coach coach.

About a year ago TMC made a similar video on AGS, I assume I pissed them off by showing the link to WBGO flavored pitch of EC-30. So here is the same pitch from TMC.

Both are great video and exactly what we have. It just simplifies the use if the RV. I can't tell you how many times we are sitting around and and the genny just fires up, it could be that I may have simply forgot to turn my inverter for fridge off. When I hear that genny start, it is my clue to go see what I missed.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 06-10-2024, 09:11 AM   #24

State: Kentucky
THOR #32588
Quote:
Presumably the Tellaro you are looking at has the 2 x 100ah lithium as mine does. You are correct, the a/c run time will be about 1 to two hours depending upon temperatures and stat setting.

Two things to consider. One, you could upgrade to 600ah by swapping out the Relion batteries. An example would be two Epoch 300ah. They may slide right in depending upon your battery trays. I understand they will fit with a modification of slicing off the handles. Sounds intimidating but is a potential dependent on your actual battery tray configuration. Cost will be more than a generator and tray but potentially a cleaner option. Others will say just add battery capacity and move it all inside. Not the worst idea but obviously a lot of work.

The other consideration if you are going to add a generator and box, is that the tray and box will block the rear doors unless it is a swingaway variety. Even then if you want to use your emergency exit you need to leave it swung out when camping. Also, some trays/frames are too high to open the Promaster doors even when not swung away. As an example the Stowaway2 cargo system needs a low frame option for the Promaster.

Personally I like the UHG option and the simplicity of just running the engine to charge. Obviously running the a/c longer only works for the dogs if you have the battery capacity.

Just some thoughts to consider.

Mike

Thanks Mike. After getting lots of useful feedback from the Forum, I'm also leaning toward simply running the UHG while we are away and adding some other devices. My wife is always concerned aBOUT CO2 levels in a vehicle left running (a relative of hers died from it) but I guess a simple CO2 monitor and a Blink camera would alleviate her concerns.
Old 06-10-2024, 09:46 AM   #25

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Thanks! I love your humor...and this Forum, ha!
You mention using a Waggle Pet Monitor that will relay the inside temperature of the RV to your phone. That tells me you expect to have internet connection while the dog is in the RV and you are not there. I have installed a remote garage door device to our old garage door opener that allows me to open and close that door from my cellphone anywhere I have cell service. This device also sends me and alert when the door opens or closes. I bet you could rig one of these up to start and stop your RV engine using your cellphone as needed based on the interior temp of the RV.

Also don't know about your RV but our 2023 Chevy Colorado will let us start the engine remotely using our cellphone from anywhere using the MyChevy App.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 10:16 AM   #26

THOR #32588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
You mention using a Waggle Pet Monitor that will relay the inside temperature of the RV to your phone. That tells me you expect to have internet connection while the dog is in the RV and you are not there. I have installed a remote garage door device to our old garage door opener that allows me to open and close that door from my cellphone anywhere I have cell service. This device also sends me and alert when the door opens or closes. I bet you could rig one of these up to start and stop your RV engine using your cellphone as needed based on the interior temp of the RV.

Also don't know about your RV but our 2023 Chevy Colorado will let us start the engine remotely using our cellphone from anywhere using the MyChevy App.
I love that idea! I don't have the skills or knowledge to rig up such a device but I bet there are all sorts of custom shops that can do this for me! Thanks!
Old 06-10-2024, 01:06 PM   #27
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
Quote:
I love that idea! I don't have the skills or knowledge to rig up such a device but I bet there are all sorts of custom shops that can do this for me! Thanks!
I believe you can also use the Ram Connect service on the Tellaro Promaster. I have not used it but you can sign up for about $15 per month. It should let you remote monitor and start/stop the van. It may the simplest. Worth checking into.

Mike
Old 06-10-2024, 02:11 PM   #28
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post

Yep GM has had that since at least 2016, but, unless they've change the logic, it will automatically time out and turn the vehicle back off after 10 minutes if you don't unlock and "insert" the key (push the button). I'll have to test that on our 2024 Trax.
Old Yesterday, 02:03 AM   #29

THOR #13058
If a Site Admin is so inclined. I do authorized correction to my post #22 to read Male plug to match the picture of the Male plug of part I actually bought.
Old Yesterday, 02:22 AM   #30
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
If a Site Admin is so inclined. I do authorized correction to my post #22 to read Male plug to match the picture of the Male plug of part I actually bought before my plug changed gender on me
Done, and correction discussion posts now deleted as "Now Off Topic".
Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM   #31

THOR #32588
Thanks! I will check on this. Does sound like the simplest solution!