Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2024, 12:37 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Kentucky
THOR #32588
Add Predator 3500 inverter to back of 2023 Tellaro

I've put $ down on a 2023 Thor Tellaro with UHG and Lithium batteries. I've learned that the batteries can run the AC for only an hour or 2. I need the AC to run for at least a few hours while we are away so our 2 dogs can stay cool. I have a Predator 3500 inverter I can haul on the back of the RV. KSH Marine has a nice aluminum box to secure, store and use it from. I think this system can work and is an inexpensive alternative to installing an Onan generator underneath (I learned this from a Thor Forum thread - thanks!). Can anyone think of any issues I may encounter with this setup? We'll get the Waggle Pet monitor too in case something quits running.

Old 06-09-2024, 01:38 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I assume you mean the Predator 3500 inverter GENERATOR. Should work ok. Make sure the ground and neutral are connected inside the generator. Most are not and that results in tripping the GFCIs in the coach.

You can also buy a special bonding plug that does this.

David
Old 06-09-2024, 01:50 PM   #3

THOR #32588
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I assume you mean the Predator 3500 inverter GENERATOR. Should work ok. Make sure the ground and neutral are connected inside the generator. Most are not and that results in tripping the GFCIs in the coach.

You can also buy a special bonding plug that does this.

David
Thanks David for your prompt reply. Yes, inverter generator. Where can I purchase the bonding plug you mention? Glad you mentioned that.
Old 06-09-2024, 01:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
Thanks David for your prompt reply. Yes, inverter generator. Where can I purchase the bonding plug you mention? Glad you mentioned that.
Amazon, of course. Or make one yourself if electrically handy.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 04:59 PM   #5

THOR #32588
Thanks David. As I mentioned I’m no electrician and find myself a little intimidated with all of the electrical jargon being used on Thor Forum, ha! Amazon it is!
Old 06-09-2024, 05:27 PM   #6
It's 'towed', not toad.

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Why would you buy something with a main feature that is an encumberance?

Your cobbling of a generic generator MIGHT void your entire electrical warranty.

That silly battery
beta-testing on the public
System
you're about to purchase
Is statistically going to be a problem sooner than later, and certainly later.

Reconsider your needs and this purchase.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 05:51 PM   #7

THOR #32588
Thanks. I would hope using a generator when boondocking would not invalidate warranty but will check. I’ve been looking for a long time for a new class b that sleeps 4 for less than $100G and this is about the only one I can find.
Old 06-09-2024, 06:02 PM   #8
It's 'towed', not toad.

THOR #13932
I'd consider a small rv payment for a short time before I'd consider that toy of a battery system.

Or

If you're set on that rv;

We often, to mostly, leave our rv running with the dash and roof air running and just lock the door behind us.
Same with our other vehicles. Hot day, ac on.

A modern vehicle can idle outside for a full tank of fuel without concern.
If dog cooling is the only question then just leave the engine running and the ac running.
It hurts nothing and battery capacity isn't a factor.
Our v10 uses .67gph at idle with the ac running.
That generator you mention uses about the same at load.

Old 06-09-2024, 06:12 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks. I would hope using a generator when boondocking would not invalidate warranty but will check. Iíve been looking for a long time for a new class b that sleeps 4 for less than $100G and this is about the only one I can find.
People have been using external generators on RVs (TTs and 5th wheels) for decades with no warranty invalidations. The RV does not care if it's plugged into a campground power pole or a generator. It uses the electricity in the same way.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 06:17 PM   #10
It's 'towed', not toad.

THOR #13932
It's worth looking in to.
No need to go into it blind.
I don't know what restrictions come with that battery system.
It could insist on sine wave or some certification for all I/we know.
Predator inverter pops a blood vein and causes harm to the rv, who knows what warranty will say other than 'hey, that's tough'?
This type of research is part of a pdi.

I use lots and lots and lots of ryobi and hf stuff.
Some people have a deep-seated animus against both.
My position is not about hf.

Use
Rv checklist app when you pick up your rv.

But
Read the vehicle warranty and the disclaimers before cobbling a generator tot your bumper.

Then YOU tell US.

Old 06-09-2024, 07:03 PM   #11

THOR #32588
Useful info. Thanks. I didn’t mention that reasons for getting this rv besides traveling in our retirement years (newly retired) is to help keep lodging and meal costs down during a book tour that starts for me next spring. I want something small enough to handle city traffic and parking. In some situations I would be ok leaving the RV running and walk away from it but suspect in other cases I would not.
Old 06-09-2024, 07:04 PM   #12

THOR #32588
That’s kinda what I figured but will double check. Thank you.
Old 06-09-2024, 07:33 PM   #13

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
I've put $ down on a 2023 Thor Tellaro with UHG and Lithium batteries. I've learned that the batteries can run the AC for only an hour or 2. I need the AC to run for at least a few hours while we are away so our 2 dogs can stay cool. I have a Predator 3500 inverter I can haul on the back of the RV. KSH Marine has a nice aluminum box to secure, store and use it from. I think this system can work and is an inexpensive alternative to installing an Onan generator underneath (I learned this from a Thor Forum thread - thanks!). Can anyone think of any issues I may encounter with this setup? We'll get the Waggle Pet monitor too in case something quits running.
OP is actually asking of ANY issues with the setup, not just whether it can physically work. Yes technically it can work, but the system without the external generator technically works too. The difference I see is he may be able to run off lithium batteries for two hours whereas the genny he can get four hours. Issues encountered to gain that 2 extra hours is hauling a gas can around, another item to service maintain. Extra time to setup and hookup etc. All doable as said before.

This reminds me of 5 years ago when I came on this very site with similar question at a RV I was looking to buy. It only had one AC for a 29' RV and I was asking if anyone had any issues installing a 2nd one. I was very glad one person questioned my logic to knowing buy a new RV with 1 AC when I knew I needed 2 AC? I have been thankful to that person every since. Saved me from myself. The difference between me and this OP is that I posed my question on this forum BEFORE putting any money down.

With all of that out the way. If I had dogs or others that may be in my RV but maybe not know how things work, an RV with an AGS would be my #1 Requirement. I don't have to worry to get back in 2 or 4 hours I can be gone a week. All I have is simple 1000 watt inverter and 5500 genny.

I have not looked, but I find it hard to believe they don't make Class B's without Generators anymore? My brother has a Class B but he prefers to run his engine all night over his propane genny due to noise. He has diesel Mercedes chassis.

Different strokes for different folks, but the more I read from OP, and his retirement lifestyle, I would highly recommend an RV with AGS and generator. The newer ones come with WiFi and Bluetooth so you have phone apps and alerts built in.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 07:46 PM   #14

THOR #32588
Very useful info. Thanks. I guess one issue is my concern over my RV being stolen with the engine running and I'm not nearby. Besides having a Waggle camera on board and "the Club" on the steering wheel, are there other useful anti-theft devices to consider?
Old 06-09-2024, 08:07 PM   #15
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
THOR #27962
Quote:
Presumably the Tellaro you are looking at has the 2 x 100ah lithium as mine does. You are correct, the a/c run time will be about 1 to two hours depending upon temperatures and stat setting.

Two things to consider. One, you could upgrade to 600ah by swapping out the Relion batteries. An example would be two Epoch 300ah. They may slide right in depending upon your battery trays. I understand they will fit with a modification of slicing off the handles. Sounds intimidating but is a potential dependent on your actual battery tray configuration. Cost will be more than a generator and tray but potentially a cleaner option. Others will say just add battery capacity and move it all inside. Not the worst idea but obviously a lot of work.

The other consideration if you are going to add a generator and box, is that the tray and box will block the rear doors unless it is a swingaway variety. Even then if you want to use your emergency exit you need to leave it swung out when camping. Also, some trays/frames are too high to open the Promaster doors even when not swung away. As an example the Stowaway2 cargo system needs a low frame option for the Promaster.

Personally I like the UHG option and the simplicity of just running the engine to charge. Obviously running the a/c longer only works for the dogs if you have the battery capacity.

Just some thoughts to consider.

Mike
Old 06-09-2024, 08:15 PM   #16
It's 'towed', not toad.

THOR #13932
A running rv almost always means someone is in it.
What are the chances of an exploratory knock to the door by a thief of a running rv vs a non running rv?
I'll say 1,000 nonrunning to 1 running.
I'll also guess that if there is any other vehicle from bicycle to Mercedes, they'd take those long before stealing an rv.

A running engine may be the best deterrent(to those thieves with a reasonable IQ)
Or not.

Old 06-09-2024, 08:29 PM   #17

THOR #32588
Thanks! I love your humor...and this Forum, ha!
Old 06-09-2024, 09:27 PM   #18
It's 'towed', not toad.

THOR #13932
Blink camera
Runs through an app and views on an app.
Talk and listen to dogs
Temp monitor and alarm to your phone.
Runs for over a year on a single battery charge
Wireless.
Inexpensive.

Old 06-10-2024, 12:44 AM   #19

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Amazon, of course. Or make one yourself if electrically handy.

I have been meaning to ask you this. While I have made one of the neutral bonding device for about $4, I wonder if I could have made one for free? Meaning if I were to take an old device maybe even not working that had a ground plug... if I cut the wire of from the plug could I just plug into a generator and get the exact same neutral ground?

I have not used my portable generator in a few years now so I have no easy way to test. I plan to dump my portable generator when I get around to it.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 01:06 AM   #20
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
THOR #27962
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I have been meaning to ask you this. While I have made one of the neutral bonding device for about $4, I wonder if I could have made one for free? Meaning if I were to take an old device maybe even not working that had a ground plug... if I cut the wire of from the plug could I just plug into a generator and get the exact same neutral ground?

I have not used my portable generator in a few years now so I have no easy way to test. I plan to dump my portable generator when I get around to it.
If I understand your question correctly, just cutting the wires will not ďbondĒ the neutral. If plugged in it will give you a hot, potentially exposed and dangerous wire.
Like I say maybe Iím not understanding the question.