Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2016, 01:58 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
Do RVers use CB radios?

The question arose as to whether RVers use CBs these days. Have cell phones and internet replaced CB on the road? If so, can someone recommend a good brand?
Curious CasaLoca

Old 10-24-2016, 02:31 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLoca View Post
The question arose as to whether RVers use CBs these days. Have cell phones and internet replaced CB on the road? If so, can someone recommend a good brand?
Curious CasaLoca
I have thought about it a few times. Might be cool to talk with each other or even the truckers....
Old 10-24-2016, 02:52 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I picked up a portable unit that can be connected to roof antenna and RV power... Don't pick up much as a portable - but haven't gotten the antenna mounted on the rig yet.

Important note - you need a 'non-ground plane' antenna... Most antennas rely on a significant metal mass (ground plane) that they are attached to... A fiberglass body RV doesn't provide that. The non-ground plane use the antenna wire (a specific length) as a substitute...

I got a midland radio - separated from my RV at the moment to check the model.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:59 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #5361
I have been out of CB communication for sometime now. But thinking about it since I bought my RV. CB is a nice way to communicate without cell towers and a monthly bill. Also will still work during major disasters. I like the Cobra's or Icom.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I have always had a CB, I have found them very helpful for why traffic is backed up, things like that. When traveling with a group of RVs its kind of nice to stay in touch with everybody at one time. I do more listening than talking however. I have the Cobra all in one, for me its nice but sometimes as everything is in the mic it makes it heavy and hard to handle. May get a different one as have a new rig and have yet found the right spot for the antenna
Old 10-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #6

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
I always keep my hand held within reach. It is a Cobra "Road Trip" model and maybe 5 years old. I have rechargeable AA's in it and it will last for a long time.

Generally I only listen to it if traffic starts slowing, there is a backup on the road, or there is severe weather. It came with a short magnetic antenna but I rarely attach it.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:37 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Both a hand held Midland 40 Channel CB and a Yaesu Ham Hand Held radio to carry with me. You need a license for the Ham but it was fairly easy to get. You never know when you'll hit a bad storm or other natural disaster that will take out cell phones and the Ham guys (and gals) may be the only ones on the air. There are a few guys that use their home base stations for traffic reports when needed.

One other thing for those that are looking for up to date traffic and road conditions. There is a GPS AP for smart phones called "Waze" that I use all the time. It uses other drivers for real time updates. I find it to be pretty darn accurate.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:23 AM   #8

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I have a Ham Radio license, K6GAB. Sometime before spring I plan on moving my mobile rig from my car to my RV (and my vanity license plates).

The deal is that the 2 meter/440 cm bands have repeaters all over world that are connected over the Internet. So you get a small profile antenna that can communicate everywhere.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:17 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I'm surprised that there are so many CB users. I have been RVing for many years and never met an RVer with a CB. None of our RVing friends use a CB.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:37 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
I just bought a new Cobra WXST II. My old Cobra died on me. Over in the other very large RV forum is a drive for labels saying that the channel 13 is in use in the rig having this label.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:10 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I have almost always had a CB in all of my RVs. I use it for entertainment, listening to truckers is a hoot sometimes. When road blocks occur I use it to find out what is going on and how long I will be stuck, this has happened several times. The last two I had were equipped with NOAA weather channels which were handy. Still trying to decide if I'm going to add one to our Windsport. With all the weather apps on smart phones I don't really need the NOAA channels. Still, I would like to have the CB to hear what's going on.