Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2016, 01:31 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Advice on carrying an air compressor onboard

I think I read on the forums that having an air compressor is more than a decent idea (especially since there doesn't seem to be a spare tire to be found on a VEGAS\AXIS)

Just wanted to find out if anyone else carries one, what type, size and maximum psi would work. I am looking at a pancake model, 3 gallon, with 100 max psi.

Does this sound like it would work?

Old 10-25-2016, 01:44 AM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I agree its a good idea - and I carry one... Size/style depends where you are going to carry it.
I have 3 gal 'hot dog' style 120psi compressor - bolted in place in battery compartment... Still have to run an outlet there - but an extension cord works for now.

100psi is fine (assuming your tires take under that..) 3 gal will take a while to fill if needed - but plenty to top off... I've used it more for bicycle tires and pool toys... but nice to have it there in case.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:05 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #5361
Carrying it is the big thing I took the advice of RV-Geeks and bought a Viair 400P-RV. small compact can inflate large Class A tire to 150 psi. But are excellent and don't require a lot of space Make sure it's the one for RV comes pressure shut off switch with extras for RV tires. At the time Volcantires.com had the best price but you can find them on amazon also. they are about $220 check it out.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I am on my second one, found a hot dog style that will go to 120 psi. I need the high psi for the 110psi tires. For me its one of those things "dont leave home without"
Old 10-25-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Air Compressor

I second the Viair 440-P RV. Yes it is a little pricey but in this case you get what you pay for. Compact but plenty of power for RV tires or anything else you might want to inflate.

Kev
Old 10-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #6

Model: Challenger LX
State: Colorado
THOR #3922
Compressor

I looked at a lot of compressors, and compared them against my requirements, which are occasionally topping off tire air pressure and inflating toys. Figured out I really didn't need a compressor, but I could get by with an inflator. I went with the Kobalt inflator from Lowe's. $50 and weighs a lot less than a compressor. It takes a few minutes to top off the tires, but it works just fine for my requirements.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I have a 3 gallon 100 psi pancake that I got at Harbor Freight, works great. Someone posted a few days ago about a compressor they got on Amazon. The compressor was small, totally enclosed, and had good CFM. Maybe they will see this post and post the link again. If I didn't already have a compressor this is the one I would buy!
Old 10-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #8

THOR #5196
Just found it! Can't get link to post but the compressor is a Porter Cable CMB15, listed on Amazon, 150 psi, 1.5 gallon, this is a really nice compact compressor!!! Big plus is the compressor is oil free and can be used for blowing out water lines.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Here is the link: Porter Cable CMB15.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:05 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I carry one
but since my bins are small I needed something small
and didn't want to spend a lot or have anything heavy, so I ordered one I thought would be good enough. 1 gallon hot-dog style
big mistake
it's basically a noisy inflator mounted to a small tank.
Takes forever to fill the tank and it is loud!
It'll work in a pinch though, but I would NOT suggest this one....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I carry one
but since my bins are small I needed something small
and didn't want to spend a lot or have anything heavy, so I ordered one I thought would be good enough. 1 gallon hot-dog style
big mistake
it's basically a noisy inflator mounted to a small tank.
Takes forever to fill the tank and it is loud!
It'll work in a pinch though, but I would NOT suggest this one....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
What's the SCFM on that unit? I couldn't see it in link -- maybe just missed it.

The picture makes it look like you are mainly buying a tank, regulator, and hose. Not much of a compressor shows up on picture.

I certainly appreciate it when people are honest and recommend against buying something they themselves purchased. Negative feedback can be as useful as positive feedback -- maybe more. Unfortunately many people hesitate admitting having made a mistake. Thanks.

For what it's worth, I'd personally focus more on compressor/inflators output rating than tank size if filling tires is the primary application. The tire itself is a large pressurized "tank" so carrying a large tank around as part of a compressor doesn't seem like it would do much other than save a little time by letting the compressor run while going from one tire to the next.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #12

THOR #2121
Have any of you used or thought about using CO2 if strictly for tire emergency purposes? Obviously you wouldn't likely use CO2 to inflate toys, or tires on a regular basis. For routine tire inflation I use a compressor at home.

I noticed hard-core off-road guys sometimes use high pressure CO2 cartridges to re-inflate their tires after reducing pressure for off-road driving. It's exactly the same technology many of us use for bike tires on the road, except CO2 tank is much larger and requires a regulator.

Apparently it's a little more expensive (I guess that's relative) but they like it because it's faster and more convenient than a compressor. For inflating an RV tire with a slow leak on an emergency basis the cost may not be bad.

Was just curious if anyone tried one or looked into them in lieu of compressor.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:11 PM   #13

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
What's the SCFM on that unit? I couldn't see it in link -- maybe just missed it.

The picture makes it look like you are mainly buying a tank, regulator, and hose. Not much of a compressor shows up on picture.

I certainly appreciate it when people are honest and recommend against buying something they themselves purchased. Negative feedback can be as useful as positive feedback -- maybe more. Unfortunately many people hesitate admitting having made a mistake. Thanks.

For what it's worth, I'd personally focus more on compressor/inflators output rating than tank size if filling tires is the primary application. The tire itself is a large pressurized "tank" so carrying a large tank around as part of a compressor doesn't seem like it would do much other than save a little time by letting the compressor run while going from one tire to the next.

ha, yeah, this one was definitely a bonehead mistake.
I don't know so I googled and found this site that lists the spec's
0.5 SCFM at 90 psi

and yeah, I knew upfront that the small tank wouldn't hold enough for a tire. I figured though it would help with the duty cycle when topping off bike tires and so on. With such a pathetic little compressor though, it's nearly pointless.

Primefit 125 PSI 1 gal. Portable Air Compressor with Regulator and Control Panel 25 ft. Air Hose-CM00301 - The Home Depot
Old 10-25-2016, 06:49 PM   #14

THOR #5196
The Porter Cable is rated at 2 SCFM at 90 psi, pretty good for a small compressor.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:02 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
I carry one something like this one that I bought years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Flow-M...12v+compressor
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:39 PM   #16

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Porter Cable x 2

First off - if you EVER try to find air at a service station, you will absolutely go and buy a air compressor.

Secondly, I've carried the Porter Cable that JamieGeek linked to - great bang for the buck and stores easily. $97 on line.

Lastly, invest in a straight clamp on air chuck. I bought this one. CTA Tools 1930 Straight Lock-On Air Chuck. After the first time you go to add 10 PSI - you will again wish you had this.

Just our 2 cents.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:01 PM   #17

THOR #5196
Several years ago my brother was debating buying me an air compressor but decided he better ask first. I told him "No thank you, I already have one." My brother asked how big it was and I replied "don't know how many gallons, but it's 360 HP," he said "WHAT???" We had a Tuscany at the time and he didn't know we had a quick-disconnect on the air system. Got a good laugh out of that one!!!
Old 10-26-2016, 02:14 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane 29m
State: Louisiana
THOR #3932
Tire inflation

Beside a truck tire inflator I carry a cheap tire plug kit,any where has them.not to fix the tire, just to fix it long enough to get me to the nearest repair place..Interstates are not fun places to sit and wait..
Old 10-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #19

THOR #2121
I agree that sitting on the side of the road for hours is no fun, and one of those things you'll try not to repeat.

Regarding the OP question about wanting to carry a compressor because RV didn't come with a spare, on a smaller motorhome like an Axis/Vegas with 16-inch tires I would personally prefer a spare over a compressor -- if I had to choose between the two. I would apply the cost, space, and weight of a compressor towards a spare.

When I got stuck on side of road in a large Class C with 16-inch tires, a compressor wouldn't have helped because it was a tire failure, not a slow leak. And at the time I felt comfortable replacing the tire; which is key. If I wasn't comfortable replacing tire myself then spare is of less value. It's one of the many reasons I like smaller RVs. On big rigs tires are too heavy for most of us to change.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #1226
Our first RV, the Pace Arrow, came with a spare tire. One of the bays had a shelve that the spare fits into. Used it once when AAA replaced a front tire for us.

A friend of mine gave me a 150# gallon and a half pancake compressor. He said it never worked and if I could fix it I could keep it. I plugged it in and sure enough no pressure. I tried to drain the water from the tank and found it was already open. Closed the drain and the pressure went up to 150#. Offered to give it back but he said he didn't need it anymore. I now keep it and the Hurricane.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote