Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2019, 07:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #16560
Air Compressor

Living in Texas Gulf Coast, we do not need to winterize our rig for more than a few weeks. Would prefer to not go through the mess and waste of using antifreeze. Therefore, what air compressor do you use for blowing out the water lines to winterize them? Is it the same one you use to fill your tires?

Thanks,
Bob Dees

Old 10-24-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum!
I don't think that the compressor matters all that much.
You just need to have the right fittings to hook it into your water supply system.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:18 PM   #3
Mag

Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Bob, I live in Canada and we have to winterize everything . I use an air compressor with the pressure no more than 40psi. max! You can pick up a fitting that screws into your city water supply and it'll have a connection for the air hose attached. Its be like this one, Camco 36143 RV Blow Out Plug with Brass Quick Connect on Amazon. I just start up the compressor and hook the hose to the fitting once screwed into the water inlet, but always have at least one tap open at all times. Then you just go around and open the taps to blow out all the water, I do the outside shower last as its next to where my water hookup is and its easier to finish up there. You'll also have to empty your water heater. I buy one jug of the antifreeze and divide it up between all my drains and the toilet. Then the P traps don't have water in them. Takes less me than an hour.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:00 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I take mine to the Dealership for Winterization: I'm a big chicken!
But your method does make me plenty curious...
Old 10-24-2019, 10:13 PM   #5
Mag

THOR #16132
Winterized

It's really pretty simple. Had a 36' Cherokee trailer up till this march when we got our Axis and winterized it that way from the beginning without any issues. I'm sure we have colder weather for longer here than in Texas.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:30 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I get the idea of hooking up to a compressor, and putting air through all of the water lines...
It's all of the stuff going on around the hot water heater; that intimidates me...
(I've got the Truma system...)
Old 10-24-2019, 10:36 PM   #7

THOR #16560
The question is...

I appreciate the feedback thus far, but my question whether you use the same compressor for the tires and winterizing. If so, what do you use? I have a small 12 volt tire inflator now. Would it work to purge water from the rv? I have read different o-inion online line.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:55 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Use the same compressor.
I've never heard of anyone who had a dedicated compressor.
If you have misguided misgivings, buy one of the screw on garden hose water filters and run the air through that, then through the water system.

I'll go as far as suggest you use last year's disposable water filter for this, then buy a new filter for the new season.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-TastePU...dDbGljaz10cnVl
Old 10-24-2019, 11:24 PM   #9
Mag

THOR #16132
Air compressor

I agree there isn't a specific compressor to use but myself I don't think the 12v type will bs able to keep the pressure and volume at about 40psi to sufficiently clear the lines. You may also want to read up on the Truma system here "https://www.truma.net/advice-blog/winterizing-your-truma-aquago-or-truma-combi". By the way, how do you like it? I've been reading up on them a bit but haven't heard first hand if they're worth the changeover.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:27 PM   #10
Mag

THOR #16132
Bought one of those filters this year, love it.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:49 PM   #11

Model: Challenger
THOR #9265
Why would you need to winterize on the Texas gulf coast? Does it get below 30 for days at a time?
Old 11-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #12

THOR #16560
That is the next question. Our weather, like anywhere else, is unpredictable. We do get freezing temps but seldom for all day. They can dip into the low 20's or high teens but very rarely. My rig is in an unheated, enclosed building where I keep it plugged in. . I was wondering if I could just run a small heater with the drawers and cabinets open on those rare times when it get into freezing temps. Anyone have experience with this along the upper gulf coast?
Old 11-04-2019, 09:55 PM   #13

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
I use a small tank compressor. Your small compressor should be ok f it makes adequate air volume. just get the fitting.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:32 PM   #14

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Antifreeze is faster and safer.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:34 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyhehn View Post
I use a small tank compressor. Your small compressor should be ok f it makes adequate air volume. just get the fitting.
Where do you find that fitting?
Old 11-05-2019, 02:11 AM   #16

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdees View Post
That is the next question. Our weather, like anywhere else, is unpredictable. We do get freezing temps but seldom for all day. They can dip into the low 20's or high teens but very rarely. My rig is in an unheated, enclosed building where I keep it plugged in. . I was wondering if I could just run a small heater with the drawers and cabinets open on those rare times when it get into freezing temps. Anyone have experience with this along the upper gulf coast?
We're in N Texas so it gets colder here.
We have a small electric heater that works fine. It has a thermostat that I set in the low 60's.
We also have an indoor outdoor thermometer, outdoor transmitter in mh, resiever on an end table.
I've seen it in the upper 30's when outside is in the mid 20's.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:07 AM   #17

State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Texas Gulf Coast winterizing

Absolutely no need to winterize. I’ve lived here 20+ years and have not seen low 20s. Mid to high 20s yes but never multiple days hard freeze. Drain all tanks well and you are good to go. Note that as an ex-Canadian I can tell you that freezing damage to pipes/tanks usually occurs when pipes or tanks are full or under pressure. The issue with water is that it is one of the few materials that expands when it goes from liquid to solid. This is a good thing since it results in ice that floats as opposed to sinking to the bottom of a lake or river. If it sank all of our waterways would be permanently frozen solid. Getting back to freezing damage, if your pipes/tanks have little amounts of water left in them and enough space for the expanding ice to go to you will not experience damage just like freezing water in an open glass does not damage the glass. A bottle of beer under pressure is another story.

Tags
air compressor, winterizing