Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2018, 03:07 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I know it's anecdotal, but we camped outside of Dallas last month in a park that only had 30 amp service. It was in the upper 90s the whole time. We could only run one A/C and it kept the coach in the upper 70s the whole time. No matter what Thor says, there is something wrong with the A/C unit.
We have a 29M with dual ACs and use to live in Dallas, one AC will not keep with Texas heat. The ducting in your coach is very restrictive to airflow, I installed this simple vent in the inside cover, airflow is greatly improved and can be easily directed where needed, several other members have made the same mod with great success. Ordered the vent from Amazon, takes less than 30 minuets to install.

Click image for larger version

Name:	81EB8A83-1C0D-4362-B947-AA7044A58120.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	12032

Old 08-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #42

Model: ACE
State: Maryland
THOR #3709
Similar Problem with AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
My opinion (That's all that iut ius...): one air-conditioning unit in an RV that's carrying as much window glass as yours; is just not going to cut the mustard.
A second unit should be a serious consideration.
Sorry...
We have a 2016 Thor ACE 30.2. No other major problems that I could not address, but I agree that the AC Unit is just not strong enough when the humidity and temperature hit the upper 90's. I found out that if you plan early in the day, close all the blinds, run an extra fan on the front dash, you can stay on top of it. We recently traveled with 4 grandchildren and 4 adults. Kept the kids either in or out of the Motorhome, not back & forth every 5 minutes, had a shady site. We were comfortable. It was 94 degrees outside, even with all the "people" we were at 75-76 degrees inside.

Our first summer out just the two of us and 3 cocker spaniels, we had a very hot day, 100 degrees, we traveled for two hours with just the dash air, no coach air. The coach was 87 degrees the cab was very cool, so we did not notice the difference till we stopped. Upon arrival, our site was not in the shade, the afternoon sun beating down, our AC never stopped running and the coach did not get below 80 degrees till after the sun went down. Now, when it is that hot outside, I run the generator with the coach AC on and no longer have that problem. Next time, we will get a coach with 2 AC units.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:53 PM   #43

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Thor MC did not offer 2 A/Cs on a coach of less than 32 ft until January 2016. As of the start of the 2019 model year, only 44% of the coaches under 34 ft were ordered by dealers with two A/C. If you shop carefully and find a mobile tech willing to do the modification, the cost for a second A/C with 50 amp service can be less than $3,000.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:12 AM   #44

State: Tennessee
THOR #8845
Thank you for the info. We had wondered what the cost might be.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:18 AM   #45

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by edanddonna View Post
Thank you for the info. We had wondered what the cost might be.
If you are handy you can install yourself. The hardest part is just getting the wire run and of course lifting the unit on top of the rv I installed a second one in the bedroom and got less than $900 with the AC and heat pump.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:01 AM   #46

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
If you are handy you can install yourself. The hardest part is just getting the wire run and of course lifting the unit on top of the rv I installed a second one in the bedroom and got less than $900 with the AC and heat pump.
Are you running the second AC through a 50 amp transfer switch?
Old 08-06-2018, 02:10 AM   #47

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
We have a 29M with dual ACs and use to live in Dallas, one AC will not keep with Texas heat. The ducting in your coach is very restrictive to airflow, I installed this simple vent in the inside cover, airflow is greatly improved and can be easily directed where needed, several other members have made the same mod with great success. Ordered the vent from Amazon, takes less than 30 minuets to install.

Attachment 12032
We can definitely say that SUPERDs modification works wonders.

In our VEGAS with one 15k unit was unable to get much below 85 with 100 degree temperatures. This year, with the added vent we are down to 72-75 with 95-100 degree heat outside. I wouldn't have believed that an 8.00 modification would make this kind of difference.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #48

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Are you running the second AC through a 50 amp transfer switch?
No, my ACE is a 30 amp unit, I ran a completely separate 30 amp Circuit just for that ac and put the receptacle right above the current one. It has its own breaker in a independent box with a 15 amp breaker. I have the option to run it off of a short extension cord to the 20 amp on the pedestal or what I normally do is connect my 50amp to 2 30amp dongles and then connect to the 2 receptacles on the coach.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
PS: I didnt upgrade my entire unit from 30 to 50 amp because my Generator couldnt handle that load, thats why I made it a separate connection, the only time I would use both air is while setting at the campground.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #49

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Thor293,
With the added vent in the AC cover, do you find that the far rear vents blow with less pressure and volume. Our AC has closeable vents on the ceiling unit and it works well to cool the center of the coach.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #50

THOR #8845
Quote:
Originally Posted by desnichols View Post
The a/c is OK in the main cabin but even if we close every vent in the front and bathroom, it is still pathetic at the back. But the Lowe’s LG machine helps a lot. Should have bought 50 amp!
Is it a window air unit and do you just run an extension cord?
Old 08-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #51

THOR #8845
Quote:
Is your AC fan running at high speed?
Yes, I did check and it is in high.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:16 PM   #52

THOR #8845
Quote:
Here is a HUGE thing you need to do. When I was insulating the front cap I found out that they did not block the AC runs after the last vent, it runs straight up into the cap! Same at the back, it runs into the wall at the back but is not blocked off. Pull your vent and stick a stiff wire down the run towards the cap and you will see what I mean. I cut a piece of insulation foam and used some aluminum tape to seal them off, that also made a pretty significant difference. Everyone I know with an ACE has this and I am betting you do to and if you are at the factory ask them to check it an tell them they need to CORRECT IT!
Thanks, the factory said they fixed the front. We will have to see if the fixed the rear ones.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #53

THOR #1620
Quote:
Thor293,
With the added vent in the AC cover, do you find that the far rear vents blow with less pressure and volume. Our AC has closeable vents on the ceiling unit and it works well to cool the center of the coach.
Actually I think you mean to reply to MO_MIke he made that modification. On my ACE I have 3 vent slides I can open to edit air.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:35 PM   #54

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by edanddonna View Post
Thanks, the factory said they fixed the front. We will have to see if the fixed the rear ones.
Did they say anything about it being open to the front?? AND, I would pull the most forward vent to verify they did indeed close it off. Not that I think they would mislead you lol
Old 08-06-2018, 03:39 PM   #55

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
We can definitely say that SUPERDs modification works wonders.

In our VEGAS with one 15k unit was unable to get much below 85 with 100 degree temperatures. This year, with the added vent we are down to 72-75 with 95-100 degree heat outside. I wouldn't have believed that an 8.00 modification would make this kind of difference.
I am going to venture a guess that the reason it works so well is that the roof is so poorly insulated that the sun beating down on the roof heats the AC tunnels and therefore the air before it reaches the vents. I discovered this yesterday when the AC at the outlet side was 48* yet at the vents it was up to around 53* It lost 5* in about 5 feet of tunnel. I dont see anyway to avoid that. Imagine if the roof were black and not white!
PS: This was with 90* full sun on coach but I had the inside already cooled to about 76-78*
Old 08-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #56

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Thor293,
With the vent installed the majority of the airflow will come from it but it can be rotated to direct air where needed or it can be closed completely. Since the vent is directly under the fan airflow is significantly increased as is cooling. I leave the ceiling vents open since you still get some airflow from them. If you install the vents and don’t like them (not likely) you just close the vent and everything is back to normal. When sleeping at night turn the vent to direct more air to the bedroom.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:29 PM   #57

THOR #8845
Quote:
Did they say anything about it being open to the front?? AND, I would pull the most forward vent to verify they did indeed close it off. Not that I think they would mislead you lol
Yes, they did say it was wide open past the vents. They said the blocked air from going past the vents. But they didn't mention the rear. So we will check them.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #58

State: Florida
THOR #11967
Thumbs up Successful Coleman mod and A/C Improvement

Go to this thread page 119.

For $65, significant improvement

Ace 29.3 - Page 119 - iRV2 Forums
Old 08-08-2018, 10:35 PM   #59

Model: Outlaw
State: Maine
THOR #12041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I know it's anecdotal, but we camped outside of Dallas last month in a park that only had 30 amp service. It was in the upper 90s the whole time. We could only run one A/C and it kept the coach in the upper 70s the whole time. No matter what Thor says, there is something wrong with the A/C unit.

Same here. We are in South Dakota and it’s 90. And can run just one ac because only 30 amp. 40 foot class A toy hauler so 30 foot without garage. It’s about 75 degrees. Something is wrong with it.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #60

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
well if your trying to cool 30 foot with one ac and your getting 75 deg when 90 outside IMO your doing good.

I was struggling to get 82 last year on my 27 foot axis (all windows blocked off). This year im doing much better but only if I cover most of the windows with the reflective bubbles when sitting all day in full sun.

I which I could put up an "instant cloud" over my RV when needed. LOL. Much lighter (and easier) than hauling two 75 foot Oak trees with me every where I go. LOL.