Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2016, 02:26 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4171
Alignment

I have been going around and around as this discussion about the alignment on the Ford chasis. Ford says they will not pay for the alignment when the " house" is put on the chasis as it was stated in the Vegas manual..Only one Ford Dealer in Florida does alignment on R V and that is in Tampa, Gator Ford, Help. Who pays for this alignment, Thor ?.. anyone got ideas as to does alignment in Fl and what pays for it ? .

Old 08-18-2016, 02:28 AM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Very simple...you pay for it, not Thor, not Ford.

I go to a Medium Duty Ford Truck dealership to have my service
work done.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:31 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
There is a note in the E350/E450 stripped chassis warranty guide (on the Axis/Vegas units) that says Ford should be on the hook for the alignment for the first year of ownership. I don't have a copy of it handy but several people have copy & pasted the text a few times on here.

Personally I just paid for the alignment at a local Goodyear truck shop. It was something like $120 or so (mostly because this was before I knew about the Ford note).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:48 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Is there any good reason to have the alignment checked, if there is no indication it is out of alignment? Does Thor check the alignment before they sent it to the dealer? Do dealers usually check it before they sell it?

I'm asking this, because I've not had a vehicle aligned since the 1970s because I've never seen a need. I see nothing about our moho at this point that indicates it might need it. For instance uneven tire when, steering pulling, etc,

Do I have my head in the sand?

Ken
Old 08-18-2016, 02:52 AM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Alignment

It took several phone calls to find a shop in our town of 125,000 to do an alignment. I started at Camping World and finally talked to the local Ford Dealer who referred me to a frame and chassis shop. They found my toe in to be off 1 1/2 inches...incredible. At 3,000 miles my front tires were already shot. I got Thor to reimburse me for most of cost of my alignment but I am out over $1,000 for 2 new 22.5" tires.

I highly recommend anyone buying a new RV to immediately get it aligned. I also suggest installing a steering stabilizer...best add on ever.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:01 AM   #6

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
It took several phone calls to find a shop in our town of 125,000 to do an alignment. I started at Camping World and finally talked to the local Ford Dealer who referred me to a frame and chassis shop. They found my toe in to be off 1 1/2 inches...incredible. At 3,000 miles my front tires were already shot. I got Thor to reimburse me for most of cost of my alignment but I am out over $1,000 for 2 new 22.5" tires.

I highly recommend anyone buying a new RV to immediately get it aligned. I also suggest installing a steering stabilizer...best add on ever.
This question is for my education, not to question what you did/do. Did you notice uneven wear on the front tires to tip you off that there was a problem? Would it have cost $120 just to check it if it had been OK?
Old 08-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au
Is there any good reason to have the alignment checked, if there is no indication it is out of alignment? Does Thor check the alignment before they sent it to the dealer? Do dealers usually check it before they sell it?
Yes because Thor doesn't check it at all--they leave that up to the final owner. Most dealers won't do it either (some good dealers will).

Between Ford and you the only alignment that gets done is in Ford's factory when it is only a stripped chassis. From that point (for the Axis/Vegas units) it goes to Mor-Ryde where the chassis is stretched to the 188" (or 194" for the 25.2), on to Thor, then to the dealer, and finally to you. Nowhere in that process other than the first step is the alignment even checked.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:45 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
This question is for my education, not to question what you did/do. Did you notice uneven wear on the front tires to tip you off that there was a problem? Would it have cost $120 just to check it if it had been OK?
I failed to look at the tread on my tires or I would have seen the toe in problem. I primarily took the RV in to add the steering stabilizer. They found the issue at that time but already too late for the tires. JamieGeek is absolutely correct that noone checks for proper alignment after leaving Ford. They also found the steering box was loose, power steering hose was loose and virtually every bolt/nut was loose a 1/2 turn. It is up to the final owner to thoroughly check over the coach AND the chassis. An alignment is cheap insurance as well as all the other areas a good shop checks when under your rig.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
The Thor manual also highly suggests that the first owner get the rig in to a shop for an alignment. I took our 24.1 to a truck alignment shop in our city and paid for the entire job. Thor gave me $250 which paid for less than half of it.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:32 PM   #10
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
The Thor manual also highly suggests that the first owner get the rig in to a shop for an alignment. I took our 24.1 to a truck alignment shop in our city and paid for the entire job. Thor gave me $250 which paid for less than half of it.
Wow. I had the Shop install my Safe T Plus and do a front end alignment total cost of 325.00. Things are sure expensive in Ca.

Kev
Old 08-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #11

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Steering wheel was off by 45 degrees and unit needed an alignment. Thor paid the entire bill of over $300. Suggest you contact Thor.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:01 PM   #12

Model: FE22 (traded)
State: North Carolina
THOR #4681
Steering Stabilizers

anyone used any other brand of steering stabilizers other than saf t plus or the roadmaster??
Old 08-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #13

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Keep in mind that Safe-T-Plus is the only one that comes with a lifetime warranty, as far as I know.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:31 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
I called Ford and Thor and asked them to pay for an alignment. Both said no. I went to a local truck tire and repair shop. They did the alignment for $145. THe toe was out a bit and needed adjustment.

Best $145 I ever spent especially knowing the price of tires. Peace of mind knowing that everything is now correct was worth it. Now I believe if I had a major problem with the alignment other than a simple adjustment Thor would have helped with the bill. The rep I spoke with never said this directly but kind of hinted at it. We spend a lot of money for our toys. If the price of an alignment isn't negotiated in the deal just do it and move to the next mod.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #15

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
mine has a sticker on the driver's side door jamb, something about it being on the customer to get the suggested alignment.
Personally I think it's sad that Thor doesn't at least do a base alignment after they put the house on it.... but it's not surprising they don't.

@Nickels - You asked where in Florida
There is a mobile guy near me that will come to you.... not sure how far he'll go. I think he was out of green cove springs, or maybe Palatka. Pretty sure he's the guy that does them for Camping World in St Augustine

i talked with him but ended up taking mine to Josams in Orlando. My only "gripe" was that they didn't seem to do much regarding my request to maximize the caster angle. I gathered they did what they can using the factory bushings, but were not willing to go beyond that since things were in 'spec' after their adjustment.

I will say that after my Josam alignment, and properly setting the tire pressures based on weights, I have not seen a need to pursue after market safe-t-steer, safe t plus dampeners, or the like... although i'd still like the idea based solely on the claimed benefits in case of blow-out conditions.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:26 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Watch this Thor video starting at the 8:30 mark. It states that Thor performs an alignment before it leaves the factory.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Smile

Penguin, thanks for the RV. As a Thor Hurricane 35C owner it was very interesting.
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:19 PM   #18
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Tampa Spring in Tamp and Lakeland Fl. Specialize in suspensions and alignment in trucks.

Kev
Old 08-18-2016, 10:32 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
penguin: That video isn't an official Thor video so I'd take what it says with a grain of salt.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:32 PM   #20

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Wow. I had the Shop install my Safe T Plus and do a front end alignment total cost of 325.00. Things are sure expensive in Ca.

Kev
Yes, they are... in the spirit of keeping this forum on topic, I will not comment further on your comment...