Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-30-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 30q
State: Ontario
Posts: 49
THOR #4175
all in 1 -camera, TPMS, etc

I do not have any display screen in my Hurricane 30q and wa=ould like to install 1 that includes everything in 1, backup camera, GPS, TPMS , etc.instead of having a seperate display unit for each - does anyone know if anyone makes such a unit, if so have you tried it? I ahve been looking on line at the big RV dealerships and have not found such a unit yet, but it seems to me that it would be much more convenient and safe (rather than looking at 2 of 3 different displays. Thanks you in advance and Happy 2018 Jim
__________________

__________________
Barrhavencobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,692
THOR #5196
You can purchase gps units that have a camera input, it’s usually for only one camera. If you go this route you will have a small camera display and many require the use of their camera only.

I don’t know of any units that will display tpms, those are usually a stand alone product only.
__________________

__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,869
THOR #2829
Tireminder (and I would assume others) now make a TPMS with Bluetooth that will talk to smartphone/tablet...
Some combination of large screen with multiple inputs might work.... Sending camera and phone/tablet displays.
Nav can be on phone/tablet as well.

I have different displays... Radio shows cameras... Phone for nav... TPMS unit.
Rarely a need to see all at once, but anything possible with appropriate allocation of $$.
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
Posts: 148
THOR #8264
Click image for larger version

Name:	780-main-icons_2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	8385 Rear View Safety has this.
__________________
PNTR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,950
THOR #1150
If you really wanted to DIY it (and can write software LOL) you could pick up something like a Surface Pro and some USB Video capture boards (Amazon) and then write some software to put all the input feeds to different windows.

Then have the TPMS bluetooth to the PC and display that in a window.

Easy peasy Sure it likely costs a lot more but as a bonus you'd have a full PC sitting on your dash.

Yeah I'm really trying to get a Car-PC into my RV as a driving aid and just haven't worked out the use case for it (thinking about it a Surface Pro costs A LOT less than one of those in-dash PCs you can get).

This dash mount (Amazon) looks like it may work.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,692
THOR #5196
I have a mini iPad on a Ram mount on the left side of the dash. I bought my wife a new full size iPad for her birthday and repurposed her mini. I use a Wi-Fi OBD transmitter for the engine, gps software, Gas Buddy, and several other apps for traveling. Lots of information available in a great display in easy view. I suppose I could also link up Wi-Fi cameras to the iPad. Don’t think I could link a TPMS, haven’t seen any with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
Posts: 297
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I have a mini iPad on a Ram mount on the left side of the dash. I bought my wife a new full size iPad for her birthday and repurposed her mini. I use a Wi-Fi OBD transmitter for the engine, gps software, Gas Buddy, and several other apps for traveling. Lots of information available in a great display in easy view. I suppose I could also link up Wi-Fi cameras to the iPad. Donít think I could link a TPMS, havenít seen any with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.


Can you speak more about this Wi-Fi OBD transmitter and what set up you have ? News to me and very interested.
__________________
JamJanTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:05 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,950
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJanTan View Post
Can you speak more about this Wi-Fi OBD transmitter and what set up you have ? News to me and very interested.
You can get them with WiFi OBD2 Scanner (Amazon search--tons of them) or Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner (Amazon) (Note that the Bluetooth one will not work with Apple devices.)
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
Posts: 297
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You can get them with WiFi OBD2 Scanner (Amazon search--tons of them) or Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner (Amazon) (Note that the Bluetooth one will not work with Apple devices.)


Thanks especially appreciative of the heads up on Bluetooth and Apple devices. Youíre a gem. Probably high quality cubic zirconia but you may be closing in on diamond status. LOL
__________________
JamJanTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,692
THOR #5196
Some of the OBD apps only work with Apple, others with Android, same with the scanners, be careful with what you choose. The Wi-Fi scanners will draw power even with the engine off, I always unplug mine when not using.

The Apple app and Wi-Fi scanner I chose is the Dash Commander since I use Apple. I got the scanner from Amazon and the app from the Apple store. Works good and is customizable.
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
Posts: 297
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Some of the OBD apps only work with Apple, others with Android, same with the scanners, be careful with what you choose. The Wi-Fi scanners will draw power even with the engine off, I always unplug mine when not using.

The Apple app and Wi-Fi scanner I chose is the Dash Commander since I use Apple. I got the scanner from Amazon and the app from the Apple store. Works good and is customizable.


Thanks helpful info. I have been looking around a bit and I guess you need a separate cellular data plan for these devices or have to add the device to existing plan? I am sure it depends on the device the carrier etc. I will definitely look into the Dash Commander since I also use Apple devices with Verizon at this time but received a kindle fire recently and thatís probably a whole new game. This tech stuff changes so fast itís hard to keep up. Thanks for the advice.
__________________
JamJanTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:09 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,692
THOR #5196
You can look on eBay and probably find a good used mini iPad, doesn’t need a lot of memory for the limited number of apps I use. I also used a Ram mount, short connecting arm, suction mount and adhesive disc on the dash, no holes to drill, got all the parts from Amazon. The iPad just clips in to the mount, super easy. Not sure but I think the kindle may use Android apps? you can check on that.
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:22 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,950
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJanTan View Post
Thanks helpful info. I have been looking around a bit and I guess you need a separate cellular data plan for these devices or have to add the device to existing plan? I am sure it depends on the device the carrier etc. I will definitely look into the Dash Commander since I also use Apple devices with Verizon at this time but received a kindle fire recently and thatís probably a whole new game. This tech stuff changes so fast itís hard to keep up. Thanks for the advice.
You shouldn't need a separate cellular plan for these since they just connect up to the phone or tablet either via WiFi or bluetooth.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:33 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
Posts: 297
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You shouldn't need a separate cellular plan for these since they just connect up to the phone or tablet either via WiFi or bluetooth.


So they use data from your phone plan? OK beginning to make more sense. I was hoping they might use the data link the vehicle has but guess that is not happening. Still doing my research but thanks for the helpful info.
__________________
JamJanTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:38 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
Posts: 297
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
You can look on eBay and probably find a good used mini iPad, doesnít need a lot of memory for the limited number of apps I use. I also used a Ram mount, short connecting arm, suction mount and adhesive disc on the dash, no holes to drill, got all the parts from Amazon. The iPad just clips in to the mount, super easy. Not sure but I think the kindle may use Android apps? you can check on that.


Kindle is definitely android but I hear you can connect it to google store for apps. Mini IPad may be a good investment. You know I started in 1983 with a Commodore 64 and knew some things then but it just moves so fast I can no longer take the time to keep up and I am afraid I am so far behind it would be impossible. Thanks for all the advice.
__________________
JamJanTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,692
THOR #5196
The Dash Commander I use is Wi-Fi and connects directly to the iPad, no plan needed at all. Some of the other OBD devices use Bluetooth, again, no plan needed. If you buy a used iPad you can get a Wi-Fi only and it will work just fine!
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:46 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,692
THOR #5196
Here are pictures of the iPad screen with the Dash Commander and Level Mate Pro apps, sorry, don’t have a picture of the mount.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3C7B58F4-F952-4390-9BBB-A33C75552519.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	8388

Click image for larger version

Name:	5950595B-7707-46ED-859F-A9923682D622.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	8389

Sorry they came out sideways!
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:53 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
Posts: 297
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Here are pictures of the iPad screen with the Dash Commander and Level Mate Pro apps, sorry, donít have a picture of the mount.

Attachment 8388

Attachment 8389

Sorry they came out sideways!


Nice accel power torque. OK Iím officially jealous. So many toys to obtain and I thought the 5er was bad. This MH is going to break me!
__________________
JamJanTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:04 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
jpmihalk's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,132
THOR #3761
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 8" for the dashboard and it runs Dash Command (for OBD data) as well as CoPilot for GPS and TireMinder's bluetooth TPMS app. It is much easier to see than my Galaxy S7 Edge phone was (but I still have the S7 Edge as a spare) and I also mount my iPhone X on the dash for phone calls, although I rarely use it.

All of these are mounted using Scosche magnets on suction mounts attached to the dash.

We use the Axxera rear view camera for keeping tabs on the toad pretty much all of the time.
__________________
John
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with pups Piper and Annabelle
2013 Ford Fiesta toad
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:08 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
Posts: 297
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 8" for the dashboard and it runs Dash Command (for OBD data) as well as CoPilot for GPS and TireMinder's bluetooth TPMS app. It is much easier to see than my Galaxy S7 Edge phone was (but I still have the S7 Edge as a spare) and I also mount my iPhone X on the dash for phone calls, although I rarely use it.

All of these are mounted using Scosche magnets on suction mounts attached to the dash.

We use the Axxera rear view camera for keeping tabs on the toad pretty much all of the time.


Thanks like I said the MH is going to break me but I appreciate the input.
__________________

__________________
JamJanTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×