Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2020, 09:35 PM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #8436
All batteries are draining

We have a Thor Miramar 2017. We have all new batteries. All batteries in the coach and engine are drained and dead. Nothing seems to be turned on. Trying to get a repair man to come to the house but no luck so far. Any suggestions?

Old 11-20-2020, 09:50 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Can you get power to it?
You'll need to put some jumper cables on the house batteries, and get enough charge in them to get your Use/Store switch set to "Use" (or on...)
Once you get that set: plug into some 120, and let those batteries soak up a really good charge.
You should then be able to use your emergency start switch to tie the house batteries to the chassis battery. Start it up, and let the alternator make some magic happen...
Old 11-21-2020, 01:11 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Nevada
THOR #11264
All batteries are draining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Can you get power to it?
You'll need to put some jumper cables on the house batteries, and get enough charge in them to get your Use/Store switch set to "Use" (or on...)
Once you get that set: plug into some 120, and let those batteries soak up a really good charge.
You should then be able to use your emergency start switch to tie the house batteries to the chassis battery. Start it up, and let the alternator make some magic happen...

Bob’s correct. It won’t take much but once the coach batteries have power (through the charger), your inverter will work and you can charge again through shore connection, charger, driving etc. if you have certain items that don’t seem to work like the in dash multiplayer, find your GFI and it might just save you some grief.
Best of luck
Old 11-21-2020, 01:12 AM   #4

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen legg View Post
We have a Thor Miramar 2017. We have all new batteries. All batteries in the coach and engine are drained and dead. Nothing seems to be turned on. Trying to get a repair man to come to the house but no luck so far. Any suggestions?

If you have another vehicle, attaché the jumper cables from the second vehicle to the battery for the engine. Once the engine starts, then try to start your generator. Then, observe the battery monitor for your coach batteries.

I have a Miramar as well, and you can email if needed Ken@CenterCloudSecurity.com
Old 11-21-2020, 01:27 AM   #5

THOR #11264
Going forward...
Most of us have had similar situations happen. I’ll admit to being a multi-timer on the batteries. I thought about how much of a wet blanket this could be if we happen to truly be away from any service. I also had to figure in I may not have a toad for help.
Last week, I bought this off Amazon and have much more confidence.

iDeaPLAY Car Jump Starter with 12V 1500A Peak, 18000mAh Portable Power Pack with Smart Jumper Cable, Auto Battery Booster For Up To 8L Gasoline And 6.5L Diesel Engines – Black
Old 11-21-2020, 01:44 AM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've got a 1000 amp one from Rugged Geek.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:49 AM   #7

THOR #11264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I've got a 1000 amp one from Rugged Geek.

Just a wee bit of lightning if needed [emoji16]
Old 11-21-2020, 02:05 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
. You betcha!
"Lightning in a bottle."
Old 11-21-2020, 12:35 PM   #9

Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #17346
my engine battery draining too

my engine battery is draining too. periodically (about every 35 minutes) i hear a click from the very front driver side of the vehicle, under the hood. there is a (solenoid?) there with 3 small wires and two battery cable wires attached to it. the headlights will flash, and the light near the radio turns on. i disconnected the 3 small wires from the (solenoid?) and the clicking has stopped. what is this (solenoid?) and what does it do?

I use the battery disconnect to turn the engine battery off whenever I am not driving, running the engine, and that stops the drain on engine battery.

symptom details: about every 35 minutes the click happens and headlights flashing occurs. headlights just flash on and off once. and that light near the radio, looking at the radio it is top right side, that light stays on for about 9 minutes, then goes out.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:43 PM   #10

Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #17346
what drained the batteries? charging them will get it running again, but what drained the batteries? your problem: how long was it sitting unused, unconnected? all new batteries - what kind of batteries? lead acid, gel, lithium,...6 or 12 volt,...?
was the engine battery connected? was the use / store switch in use position?

something caused them to drain. batteries, except lithium, drained to empty, zero, damage the battery. if you leave the use / store switch in the use position at least the propane detector will be on. the radio may draw too, from the engine battery, depending on what radio. these components will take a long time to drain battery, but they will given enough time.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:55 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen legg View Post
All new batteries - when were they replaced.

First, check for loose or corroded battery connections. Next, if you are connected to shore power make sure the shore power breaker is turned on. I did that once, connected to the house 50 amp and forgot to turn the breaker inside the garage on. 5 days later I went out to the Challenger and everything was dead.

I agree with Gal, you need to find out what is causing the batteries to not charge or to rapidly discharge. In a Miramar the first culprit to look at is the inverter and residential refrigerator. That would cause the house batteries to die but shouldn't cause the chassis battery to die unless there is a problem with the BIM.

Just my thoughts.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:20 AM   #12

Model: 34p
State: California
THOR #8973
Every week someone is complaining about batteries is keeping a charge. I don't know if it's a poorly designed or what but I had the same issues from the first day I bought my 34p southland. So after a couple of years this is what I did. I put a manual disconnect switch on both the engine and house batteries which did the trick for not having my rv plugged in for more than a couple of days. I also put a 100w solar panel on top of the rv and now I am set for life. PS putting a kill switch on the engine adds an extra layer of security for my rv for theft purposes
Old 11-29-2020, 02:10 AM   #13

Model: Challenger GT
State: Washington
THOR #4517
Here is how I apparently solved this issue, I think.

I have a 2016 Challenger GT. I had similar issues when I put the RV in storage. I would flick the “Storage” switch, which would activate a solenoid next to the convertor under the sink, but there was apparently always some very slow draw (Radio, USB charging light, always something small but always on). The final solution for me was to install a physical disconnect on both sets of batteries. On the chassis battery I installed Ampper Top Post Knife Blade Master Switch directly on the battery post) and on the house battery bank I installed a Audew Battery Disconnect Switch on the positive side of the battery. So now when I am storing the RV with no power hookup, I disconnect both sets of batteries. Seems to work. I use a Victron battery monitor, which I trust, and that has shown marked improvements on this configuration.