Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2019, 10:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #13629
Am I supposed to have 120v AC off the house batteries?

I have a 2017 Four Winds. When de-winterizing it (for the first time) I tried running the slides out on battery power. No joy. Even when running the chassis engine, nothing on the slides. I started the generator (it needed a jump start, but that's another story) and they worked no problems. Is that normal? As I have a good all-around I'm not too worried, but If I want to run 120v, do I need an inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter? Or am I missing something here? Thanks for the help.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you needed a jump to start the generator it is likely your battery didn't have enough juice to run the slide either?

The other potential issue is: did you forget to put the use/store switch in "Use"? (If no 120VAC and in "Store" the slide(s) won't budge.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:06 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
you may be missing something here, yes, but I am, too... I don't understand your question
Old 02-24-2019, 11:16 PM   #4

THOR #13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
you may be missing something here, yes, but I am, too... I don't understand your question
I guess it was two parts: can I run the slides out from the house batteries, and can I get 120v from the house batteries.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:18 PM   #5

THOR #13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
If you needed a jump to start the generator it is likely your battery didn't have enough juice to run the slide either?

The other potential issue is: did you forget to put the use/store switch in "Use"? (If no 120VAC and in "Store" the slide(s) won't budge.)
The batteries were new a month ago, and not connected unless I needed them. And the 12v house lights didn't run off the chassis, but did work off house batteries. I might have a tripped circuit breaker somewhere. Under the hood maybe?
Old 02-24-2019, 11:21 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yes, and no. 120v comes from an INVERTER(which you may or may not have), or Generator or Shore power only. Batteries only provide 12v.

your House batteries are designed to easily handle the movement of your slides, but if they fall low enough, such as below 11.5 or so, you may find that they don't respond when you try to move them - there's just not enough 'punch' to get them started.

Generally, if you run your GENERATOR, which provides not only 120v power to your coach appliances and outlets, but also to your Battery CHARGER, it will provide enough 'punch' to then move the slides.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:28 PM   #7

THOR #13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
yes, and no. 120v comes from an INVERTER(which you may or may not have), or Generator or Shore power only. Batteries only provide 12v.

your House batteries are designed to easily handle the movement of your slides, but if they fall low enough, such as below 11.5 or so, you may find that they don't respond when you try to move them - there's just not enough 'punch' to get them started.

Generally, if you run your GENERATOR, which provides not only 120v power to your coach appliances and outlets, but also to your Battery CHARGER, it will provide enough 'punch' to then move the slides.
Ok..how can I tell I if I have an inverter installed? I have a small one I can use that plugs into a lighter when driving,so I'll be ok this trip. Thank you.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:30 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt800c View Post
The batteries were new a month ago, and not connected unless I needed them. And the 12v house lights didn't run off the chassis, but did work off house batteries. I might have a tripped circuit breaker somewhere. Under the hood maybe?
The chassis batteries run the Ford /Chevy installed stuff and the house batteries run the Thor installed stuff. The charger takes 120 Volts A/C and changes it to 12 volts DC to charge the house batteries and supplement the house batteries' output. The house batteries are capable of supplying about 600 amps max where as the charger is limited to about 50 amps, so the charger will tun the slide and lights but will probably not start the generator by itself. Your emergency start switch combines both batteries and can be used to start the engine or the generator depending on what you need.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:34 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt800c View Post
Ok..how can I tell I if I have an inverter installed? I have a small one I can use that plugs into a lighter when driving,so I'll be ok this trip. Thank you.
Thor installs a remote inverter control panel next to the coach's master control center on the smaller gas coaches. On the larger coaches the inverter control is integrated into the Firefly panel.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:40 PM   #10

THOR #13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Thor installs a remote inverter control panel next to the coach's master control center on the smaller gas coaches. On the larger coaches the inverter control is integrated into the Firefly panel.
Thanks. Looks like there may not be one installed, as I only have a single control panel. It's a sprinter diesel chassis.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:30 AM   #11

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Also look next to the batteries to see if the curcuit breaker has been tripped. Reset if so.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:59 AM   #12

THOR #13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Also look next to the batteries to see if the curcuit breaker has been tripped. Reset if so.
Where about would the circuit breaker be? I looked in the battery area and there appears to be something that I cannot quite see. I will try to photograph it Tomorrow and post for comment. Thank all of you for your assistance.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:32 PM   #13

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
On most RV's its right next to the battery on a wall or metal frame. It will have a little flag the will pop up (My flag is yellow). Push down the flag to reset. It also has a button on it so you can trip the circuit (yellow flag will pop up) while your working on your batteries. Might need a flashlight to find.

Here is a link to one that should "look" like yours.

https://www.amazon.com/Tocas-Circuit...ircuit+breaker
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote