Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2017, 10:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Slide gearing wear concern

These are the rear slide tracks on my Axis 25.2. The slide has only been in and out around 25 times. Should I be concerned about the difference in wear?
The coach is going to Thor repair next month. I really don't want to raise a concern with them and have them get into something not broke.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0801.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	5227   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0803.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	5228  

Old 06-10-2017, 11:09 PM   #2

State: Colorado
THOR #5477
Does not look like "wear"
Old 06-10-2017, 11:24 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Sorry I don't see any wear! Do you lubricate them often with a silicone spray? Lubrication on the tracks & in each corner to get to the motors should be a regular maintenance item, look up Schwintech lubrication on Utube. I don't use the expensive CRC brand but a rv slide spray from Wal-Mart & have good luck with it.

Name:	20161005_120522.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	5230
Also while lubing tracks use a dollar store imitation Pledge furniture polish on all the slide seals.
Personally I don't think you need to spend $$$ on fancy sprays & conditioners from rv supply stores when these work equally as well & easily obtained.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:17 AM   #4

THOR #6009
Sorry, the pictures aren't clearer. The right slide has indentations. The left looks like it hasn't been touched.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:03 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Actually Lippert has a specific recommendation for lubricating those slides:

Are you holding down the switch for the slide for an extra 4-5 seconds when extending or retracting to make sure the motors stay timed properly?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:06 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Are you referring to these teeth marks? I zoomed in on your picture.

If so, are you seeing these at only one of the four corners?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5175.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	5232  
Old 06-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #7

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
My experience is that the gear and teeth do not need to be lubed. This just invites dust and dirt to stick causing more ware I think your only supposed to lube the block where it slides and shaft. But you need to use the correct lube and silicone isn't it that may be good for the weatherstripping
Old 06-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #8

THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Are you referring to these teeth marks? I zoomed in on your picture.

If so, are you seeing these at only one of the four corners?
Only one slide has those marks. The indentations are deeper in the last 4 or 5 teeth, on the outward part of that slide.

This might be the time to bring up a related concern: I always keep the slide switch compressed for at least 5 seconds when extending or retracting. However most of the time, when I have been on the road and it seems sometimes when it has just been sitting. With the slide in: when I try to extend it won't move. I look at the controller and it is blinking. I know that the blinking is a code for the problem, but; shame on me, I haven't taken the time to decifer it. What I do is simply hit the retract button again and then it will extend. I did plan on mentioning that when it's back at the factory.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:42 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
Only one slide has those marks. The indentations are deeper in the last 4 or 5 teeth, on the outward part of that slide.

This might be the time to bring up a related concern: I always keep the slide switch compressed for at least 5 seconds when extending or retracting. However most of the time, when I have been on the road and it seems sometimes when it has just been sitting. With the slide in: when I try to extend it won't move. I look at the controller and it is blinking. I know that the blinking is a code for the problem, but; shame on me, I haven't taken the time to decifer it. What I do is simply hit the retract button again and then it will extend. I did plan on mentioning that when it's back at the factory.
I don't own a slide, so haven't taken one apart, but those marks don't look symmetrical, suggesting gears are not meshing properly for some reason.

If you're seeing it on only one side, plus having other issues, I would certainly have it looked at if it were mine. It's doubtful that if you ignore it that it will get better on its own.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #10

State: California
THOR #6557
Same model, around 175 cycles, I do not see the same wear pattern. Do you have a lot of weight in the rear cabinets? I understand, never kick a sleeping dog but for peace of mind, might have it looked at. From your pictures it appears to me that the drive gear is slightly misaligned, too far to the right by 1/16 or so.