Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Another Thor owner "jumping ship"...

Yes, the DW and I went window shopping and bought the coach attached to the windows. It's a 2014 Itasca Meridian 36M. We looked at it here in Yuma. We got the stars to align for a deal and made the commitment.
I wanted to ditch the ws31 before anything more went to Heck! Then, after a shower yesterday, I noticed water coming out under the bathroom wall into the kitchen. Sopped it up, then watched the floor,(THE FLOOR not her) as my DW took hers. Sure enough, more water. Then, outside I noticed a cute little trickle of water running down the side of the MH from the fresh water fill. Turns out the missus turned the water pump on for better pressure while hooked to city water. It is/was filling the fresh water tank and running out of the vent pipe. So, like I said, I'm done with the horrible quality of the Thor!
Wish us luck on the new venture into Diesel pusher ownership. And yes, I will stay here to read and help out as many as I have wisdom to help. So, as Mike on "Wheeler Dealers" would say, "Taa Laa"!

Old 02-13-2020, 03:26 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Good luck with the new RV!
Show us some pictures of it!

...And you're NOT leaving us: you'll just be driving a different brand rig!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #3

THOR #7205
Thanks, Bob. And, I do enjoy sharing any knowledge/experience I have gained for RV ownership.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:04 PM   #4

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Have fun with your new mh. Post pics and I'm sure you'll love the diesel life

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:28 PM   #5

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Have fun with your new mh. Post pics and I'm sure you'll love the diesel life

Jerry
Thanks Jerry! We are can't wait for the extra room, comfy furniture and nice for me driving position.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:18 PM   #6

Model: ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #17484
Thor and the other "bargain" MH brands have quality issues that are discussed widely on in this forum. Each of us makes a decision about the price-quality tradeoff inherent in our purchase decision. Interestingly, however, is that the "watershed" event that caused you to "bail out" of Thor came from violating one of the most basic rules of RV operations … to NOT turn on the 12v water pump when connected to city water that typically operates at much higher pressure than the 12v system is designed for. I, too, have made many basic RV operating errors but I can't in good faith fault the manufacturer for them. Good luck with you new unit and drive safely.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Good luck. Itasca/Winnebago has had their issues as well.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:26 PM   #8

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solanopete View Post
Thor and the other "bargain" MH brands have quality issues that are discussed widely on in this forum. Each of us makes a decision about the price-quality tradeoff inherent in our purchase decision. Interestingly, however, is that the "watershed" event that caused you to "bail out" of Thor came from violating one of the most basic rules of RV operations … to NOT turn on the 12v water pump when connected to city water that typically operates at much higher pressure than the 12v system is designed for. I, too, have made many basic RV operating errors but I can't in good faith fault the manufacturer for them. Good luck with you new unit and drive safely.
You're right... I should have warned her about turning it on. She just feels like it isn't getting enough water flow in the toilet (of all places) to fully flush all waste down. We had a problem early on in ownership where the toilet partially clogged and burped back up on our teen-aged Grand daughter. She wasn't a happy camper after that!
Old 02-13-2020, 09:11 PM   #9

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Yes, the DW and I went window shopping and bought the coach attached to the windows. It's a 2014 Itasca Meridian 36M. We looked at it here in Yuma. We got the stars to align for a deal and made the commitment.
I wanted to ditch the ws31 before anything more went to Heck! Then, after a shower yesterday, I noticed water coming out under the bathroom wall into the kitchen. Sopped it up, then watched the floor,(THE FLOOR not her) as my DW took hers. Sure enough, more water. Then, outside I noticed a cute little trickle of water running down the side of the MH from the fresh water fill. Turns out the missus turned the water pump on for better pressure while hooked to city water. It is/was filling the fresh water tank and running out of the vent pipe. So, like I said, I'm done with the horrible quality of the Thor!
Wish us luck on the new venture into Diesel pusher ownership. And yes, I will stay here to read and help out as many as I have wisdom to help. So, as Mike on "Wheeler Dealers" would say, "Taa Laa"!
Why you SOB now ( I mean essobee) join the club. I have found that some of the best people buys or try to buy Thor's; but only the really the proud Marine like Elites that know them inside and out can sustain them without agony. For the good or bad, we never could get a Thor pass PDI. We have been SOB 4 months now and my only drama is installing my own AGS and Safe T Plus stabilizer.

Congrats on your new Rig!!!
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:01 AM   #10

THOR #7205
Tomorrow is the big day!! We are SO EXCITED!! Getting a Winny/Itasca 36M has been my "if I won the lottery coach" since before we bought the WS31. We have boxes stacked 2& 3 high from the doghouse back to midway on the couch. It's a huge step for us! Wintering in AZ the last 2 yrs has really opened our eyes.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:38 AM   #11

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Old boat maxim. The two best days are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:13 PM   #12

THOR #7205
We finally got everything transferred from the ws31 to the 36M yesterday morning. What a painstaking (pain for me) process. The 36m is only 2" wider at the coach, but boy the tires just barely fit between the concrete pads at the rv park. The pusher design turns on a dime, too. As far as interior space for storage, the WS31 has it beat! I'm look at a couple boxes that were inside the WS, but out of space in the 36m. I'll bid everyone a good RVing or dreaming of RVing!
Old 02-21-2020, 11:05 PM   #13

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Thanks Jerry! We are can't wait for the extra room, comfy furniture and nice for me driving position.
Coming from someone who left a 35' Windsport with V10, one of the big things I like is the motor being 40' behind me. We can chit-chat at normal tones and hardly even here the diesel back there.

Congratulations and have fun!
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:34 PM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Congratulations on the new coach. Many happy miles to you and your DW. I expect it’s had the bugs worked out bu now. Hope you stick around this forum. There are lots of SOBs here!

FWIW I had many more issues with my Winnebago and now my new Newmar than I ever had with my Thor. Not complaining, just working through my issues. It’s all part of the wonderful RV life.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:22 PM   #15

Model: RC25
State: Florida
THOR #11860
Fed up as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Congratulations on the new coach. Many happy miles to you and your DW. I expect it’s had the bugs worked out bu now. Hope you stick around this forum. There are lots of SOBs here!

FWIW I had many more issues with my Winnebago and now my new Newmar than I ever had with my Thor. Not complaining, just working through my issues. It’s all part of the wonderful RV life.
I am dumping my Quantum 25RC, the quality is so bad it pains me to list the troubles, best thing is to move on to something with a quality build, the search begins.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdoughe963 View Post
I am dumping my Quantum 25RC, the quality is so bad it pains me to list the troubles, best thing is to move on to something with a quality build, the search begins.
Good luck!
Take a look at Tiffin: my Wayfarer had three pieces of wood trim come loose, and that's it for the troubles...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:13 PM   #17

State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I went from Thor ACE 29.6 to a 2007 Itasca Meridian 36 SE last year. I do not regret making the move. Go to Winnie forum for just a lot of info.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:23 AM   #18

State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Happy Thor client

My Thor Citation Sprinter is great! Go away nattering nabobs of negativity.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #19

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgtx View Post
Agreed.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgtx View Post
The former Vice-President's spirit has spoken...